• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
gdrew817
Junior Boarder
Posts:120
All I Leave Behind Me Is Only What I Found

Peggy-O from Greek Theater

#74447 2 years, 9 months ago
First of all, Peggy-O is one of my favorite tunes the GD played. I consider the extended guitar solos Jerry delivered to be the most amazingly melodic, inspiring, uplifting and intense (emotionally) musical arrangements I’ve ever heard (eg Winterland 1977-12-27). The subtle escalation of the intensity of the music to the climax, while keeping the melodic theme of the song, is in my opinion what makes Jerry Garcia the most inspiring and righteous guitar player ever. I’m sad I never got to see him play live.

Was standing front row at Furthur’s Greek Theater’s show on 10/5 and was STOKED they busted this out (by the way, one of the best 1st sets I've ever seen from 20 or so Furthur shows). Although I’d prefer if Bobby or John sang it, I really enjoyed the tune, how it was was played, sang by Phil, etc. I just wish they would give John the opportunity, particularly in this song (and Loser to mention another), to reach into an extended guitar solo to try to find some of the Jerry “magic.” In instances like these I wish, and again it’s my own opinion, that the band would put a rope on the piano solos that interrupt and make John hesistant to explore.

What do people think?

GDrew817 - SOCAL
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Posts:31063
Life is sweeter for this!

Re: Peggy-O from Greek Theater

#74450 2 years, 9 months ago
I'd like long, extended solos from both John and Jeff! They're more than worthy of it.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder
Posts:6472

Re: Peggy-O from Greek Theater

#74451 2 years, 9 months ago
gdrew817 wrote:
First of all, Peggy-O is one of my favorite tunes the GD played. I consider the extended guitar solos Jerry delivered to be the most amazingly melodic, inspiring, uplifting and intense (emotionally) musical arrangements I’ve ever heard (eg Winterland 1977-12-27). The subtle escalation of the intensity of the music to the climax, while keeping the melodic theme of the song, is in my opinion what makes Jerry Garcia the most inspiring and righteous guitar player ever. I’m sad I never got to see him play live.

Was standing front row at Furthur’s Greek Theater’s show on 10/5 and was STOKED they busted this out (by the way, one of the best 1st sets I've ever seen from 20 or so Furthur shows). Although I’d prefer if Bobby or John sang it, I really enjoyed the tune, how it was was played, sang by Phil, etc. I just wish they would give John the opportunity, particularly in this song (and Loser to mention another), to reach into an extended guitar solo to try to find some of the Jerry “magic.” In instances like these I wish, and again it’s my own opinion, that the band would put a rope on the piano solos that interrupt and make John hesistant to explore.

What do people think?

GDrew817 - SOCAL


i don't mind phil singing it, although i liked in phil and friends and even the dead where verses would be traded, sounded very cool when you had the female presence from joan...

that being said, this was my least favorite peggy-o from this band, and i've seen 5 of the 6 done..they completely changed the format to that later GD style where there is too much space between the lyrics...i'm pretty sure GD started playing it that way because jerry couldn't stay on top of it...same deal with how bob does his estimated prophets now, it just seems to drag on

this is not to say i didn't throroughly enjoy other versions this band has spit out, because i have...kudos for trying new (old) things, but you don't really need to fix something that ain't broken
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1947
The wheels are muddy, got a ton of hay

Re: Peggy-O from Greek Theater

#74517 2 years, 9 months ago
Peggt o is not a song for piano solos. Its just not. One of my alltime fav dead songs might i add. I agree with the letting John explore idea. I can sing the song better than any of them (not Jerry) , so im partial to caring either way. -hes buried in the LA countri O . The piano carries the full rythm of the song incase you disagree and still think it needs more piano solos. I hate hearing wonderful songs done poorly so as long as it sounds descent, i dont give a care if bobby or phil sings. Its a wonderful tune. And an even greater story.
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1947
The wheels are muddy, got a ton of hay

Re: Peggy-O from Greek Theater

#74521 2 years, 9 months ago
If john wants to explore....he can go right ahead and do so...does he need a wave from Phil or bobbylike...go ahead its your turn, then he signals Jeff its your turn? Thats not how the dead operate. And to furthur my point...Jerry plays solos all over songs like Picasso Moon and Hell in a Bucket without anyones permission or a rule book. Gimme a break.....the guy needs to just attack the song and paint his canvas when appropriate. "Let" him explore?...ha! Like give him a hall pass ? stop making me laugh. If he aint got the guts to what he wants....give me another guitarist that will have more confidence....PERIOD!!!!
wlewis
Platinum Boarder
Posts:6472

Re: Peggy-O from Greek Theater

#74553 2 years, 9 months ago
iraqistatefair wrote:
If john wants to explore....he can go right ahead and do so...does he need a wave from Phil or bobbylike...go ahead its your turn, then he signals Jeff its your turn? Thats not how the dead operate. And to furthur my point...Jerry plays solos all over songs like Picasso Moon and Hell in a Bucket without anyones permission or a rule book. Gimme a break.....the guy needs to just attack the song and paint his canvas when appropriate. "Let" him explore?...ha! Like give him a hall pass ? stop making me laugh. If he aint got the guts to what he wants....give me another guitarist that will have more confidence....PERIOD!!!!


i don't say this often to you man, but you just got me thinking
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Chester
Moderator
Posts:32533
More or less in line

Re: Peggy-O from Greek Theater

#74555 2 years, 9 months ago
I'd like to hear JK do this.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
taper.tsquare
Visitor

Re: Peggy-O from Greek Theater

#74557 2 years, 9 months ago
iraqistatefair wrote:
If john wants to explore....he can go right ahead and do so...does he need a wave from Phil or bobbylike...go ahead its your turn, then he signals Jeff its your turn? Thats not how the dead operate. And to furthur my point...Jerry plays solos all over songs like Picasso Moon and Hell in a Bucket without anyones permission or a rule book. Gimme a break.....the guy needs to just attack the song and paint his canvas when appropriate. "Let" him explore?...ha! Like give him a hall pass ? stop making me laugh. If he aint got the guts to what he wants....give me another guitarist that will have more confidence....PERIOD!!!!


no disrespect to the JK fans, but this ain't the good ol' Grateful Dead and JK is not Jerry Garcia. i like JK quite a bit and think he does a very good job, but he is definitely on a leash and absolutely needs permission from Phil and Bobby with regard to vocals. as for guitar solos i think he has a lot more freedom to stretch out and seems to have plenty of confidence from my perspective.
Skeeto111
Junior Boarder
Posts:63

Re: Peggy-O from Greek Theater

#74560 2 years, 9 months ago
Agreed. JK should be allowed to sing more.

The Morning Dew he sang at Red Rocks was positively sublime.

I saw him sing Stella Blue last year in St. Louis. It was so beautiful and emotional.

I think they need to let him sing more. Especially on those Jerry ballads. I feel that's what he does best.

I've got no problem with phil and bobby singing, but there's something special about John. I think Jerry really digs him. Just the impression I got at the shows.

That being said I'm sure they've got some reason for it. I mean, obviously those songs would sound better if they were sung by John. That's not a question. There's another reason bobby and phil sing those ballads.
Chester
Moderator
Posts:32533
More or less in line

Re: Peggy-O from Greek Theater

#74562 2 years, 9 months ago
Skeeto111 wrote:
I think they need to let him sing more. Especially on those Jerry ballads.


I agree with this. I love Phil and Bobby, and I don't want them to stop singing. But JK's part of the band, and he sings well.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Time to create page: 0.49 seconds