• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Tom Banjo
Visitor

Here's a sensitive quest: Furthur or DSO?

#7429 3 years, 3 months ago
I know, why choose. Actually I found myself choosing between Furthur at Boston or DSO at Tarrytown. Tarrytown is less than an hour away but I ended up going to the Furthur, 3 1/2 hours away in Boston. It was a great show, but I was so far in the back that I barely saw the band at all which doesn't really matter cuz its hearing the music that I really care about. But I was wondering about DSO and when I got back, many said I missed a great show. I recently met a person who prefers DSO over Furthur and they gave a compelling arguement. So I ask, if you had to choose, which one would you pick, all other things being equal?

Heres my answer: I would probably choose Furthur every time. Bobby & Phil together represent two of the greatest jammers. They have been selling out stadiums longer than any other people in history. Bobby has been doing this since he was 17, taking lessons from Jerry. The Grateful Dead was never the fastest, but they were always the best and most beautiful. They still know how to hold the audience and communicate with the audience and, my favorite, fuck with the audience - our minds, our souls our understandings of this world!
Smiley from Texas
Senior Boarder

Re: Here's a sensitive quest: Furthur or DSO?

#7439 3 years, 3 months ago
Furthur all the way because its BOBBY AND PHIL and the Jewel JK that was in DSO but now is on board with the BOYS!

Now one thing that i think would be killer for furthur would be to play more Brent songs man!! Brents the man and his songs are insane and the only one we get to here now is Mr fantasy and one time i have heard them do Just a little light which i thought JK nailed! do us brent fans a favor and throw us some more tunes.

and I love Jeff chimenti to death and he is a master on the key board. but The dude in DSO who Plays keyboard can nail songs like blow away and all the brent songs almost perfectly i think. I have heard many people say thet DSO sounds alot more "Grateful dead" than furthur. And to be honest im pretty sure thats the reason.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="www.youtube.com/embed/-PP3TOtE9xk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by Smiley from Texas.
Chester
More or less in line

#7446 3 years, 3 months ago
Yeah, Furthur first, and foremost. DSO is good, and I hope they come around often, but if there was ever a choice
between the two, Furthur wins everytime. : )
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
WorkingmansEd
Junior Boarder

#7454 3 years, 3 months ago
Chester wrote:
Furthur wins everytime. : )

This.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gvanman
johnnyhub
Junior Boarder

#7461 3 years, 3 months ago
This isn't even a question worth answering. Seriously DSO!?!?!?

Great bar cover band.. Good fun, but that ain't CLOSE to Phil & Bobby
ForSure25
Fresh Boarder

#7465 3 years, 3 months ago
i'll always go with Bob Weir and/or Phil Lesh. If you want to start talking furthur vs. metheny, sco, benson, stern, joe sample, etc....I can see where it might be a tough choice, but dso, no. I mean Paul McCartney or the Faux Four? no
Tom Banjo
Visitor

#7467 3 years, 3 months ago
You would be surprised at how many DSO fans are out there and would choose DSO over Furthur. Jeff Mattson really has a good name for himself.

Having said that, I prefer Furthur too - a lot more energy and not just recreating old dead shows like DSO often does (which is also a good reason to go see them -see the shows you didn't have a chance to during Jerry's time
staggerleem
Fresh Boarder

#7468 3 years, 3 months ago
For me this is NOT a question - FURTHUR!

When Phil & Bob called on John K to join up with them, and DSO took Jeff Matson from The Zen Tricksters, I looked on the total maneuvering here with a baseball fan's point of view.

John K was called up to the major league franchise, Furthur, from Triple-A DSO. DSO, in turn, called up Jeff Matson from the Double-A ZT franchise. DSO had raided ZT's roster in the past, for Rob Barraco, after his major league stint with the PLQ.

The analogy may be somewhat imperfect, but it makes sense to me.
Now I don't know, but I've been told, if the horse won't pull, you gotta carry the load.
I don't know whose back's that strong. Maybe find out before too long.
equixt
Fresh Boarder

#7471 3 years, 3 months ago
I follow JK
Where ever he goes, I go.....
Mrs Deviled Egg
Fresh Boarder

#7506 3 years, 3 months ago
equixt wrote:
I follow JK
Where ever he goes, I go.....

what she said.

(but when Furthur decided to show up in OH during Gratefulfest last year, we stayed at Gratefulfest...)

this is MUSIC not POLITICS and is about LOVE not EGOS so what kind of question is this... REALLY? people always trying to start a problem when some are just happy to have two amazing bands to see because JK is a musical genius. Thanks JK.
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by Mrs Deviled Egg.
Time to create page: 0.47 seconds