• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Bazza99
Junior Boarder

Re: Does anyone miss Drums>Space ?

#74286 2 years, 6 months ago
Not too long ago, I'm not sure if was at the Red Rocks or Vegas shows but I was thinking how great it is there is no more Space but it was a good time to go to the bathroom, get a beer or an ice cream, Remember those Cal Expo shows in May every year, it was always hot out and I loved to go get an ice cream during space.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#74288 2 years, 6 months ago
being as that i was unable to see the grateful dead, i only saw drums>space in the other ones/dead lineups

i always liked it, many people would walk away to piss or get food/drink/breather/smoke... i will never forget at 15 in albany the first time i saw a drums>space with the rhythm devils back there.. an older woman gave me her ticket stub to go down close i had no clue where it was, i ended up in the 1st row and when i got there everyone was leaving the stage, except billy and mickey...i was 3 sheets to the wind from some liquid i was puddled with, but my skull was blown apart as i watched them go at it, all over the place...i had only heard recordings of it before that moment

i don't think everybody enjoys it but i also wouldn't want to hear furthur doing drums a russo solo on his single kit would get boring i think after 3 minutes..they've done some really spacey segments i would classify as a space (there is a thread all about it under music talk)...next time we see drums>space will be the next core four reunion
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

#74289 2 years, 6 months ago
wlewis wrote:
being as that i was unable to see the grateful dead, i only saw drums>space in the other ones/dead lineups
...next time we see drums>space will be the next core four reunion

and that wont be til 2015 for the 50 year reunion!
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by Dire Wolf.
Chuck_Woolery
Visitor

#74290 2 years, 6 months ago
Hell yes I miss everything about it.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#74291 2 years, 6 months ago
^^^ain't no time to hate, barely time to wait!
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
tumbleweed
Junior Boarder

#74305 2 years, 6 months ago
Drums - yes
Space - NO
this is the season of what now
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

#74312 2 years, 6 months ago
I do not miss drums and space at all. The only good thing about it for me was it was a good time for a bathroom break. Problem was half the people at the show went to the bathroom at that time, so there was always a line. I never listened to drums/space on tape. It pissed me off that I would have to spend a couple minutes fast forwarding to get to the next song. You kids with your newfangled iPods have no idea how easy you have it! And I had to walk 10 miles to school dammit! Uphill both ways! The only time space was cool for me was at the Rosemont Horizon in '93 when Ken Nordine joined them onstage and recited a couple poems. It was different than the usual space.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#74316 2 years, 6 months ago
Well, I always said that I'd happily pay the ticket price for three hours of drums and space. To me, that's what the whole thing was about.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
jodiah
Expert Boarder

#74335 2 years, 6 months ago
I miss it sooo much! Mickey is a musical shaman. Dead tour '09 with Mickey's different sounds of the cosmos was for me the highlight of most of the shows.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#74418 2 years, 6 months ago
I filp flop on this one. Overall I am happy furthur does not play drums / space. I prefer the extended jams they play. Then I listened to an old tape and started missing it (especially space). But after hearing it again a few more times, once again I do not want them to bring it back.

IMO D/S was a chance for the band to take a break and the fans to rest / smoke / pee ???

I must admit with the GD the parts after space in the later part of the 2nd sets were generally the best part of the show, I am somewhat sure the break helped the musicians, either by topping off their buzz or ??

I would love to see John play with the MIDI the way Jerry used to. Set it up so the guitar sounds like a saxophone, horn or anything else used to be a lot of fun.

I am really impartial though, if the band needs a break then I am cool with D/S. Not sure one drummer could handle drums though.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Time to create page: 0.44 seconds