Platinum Boarder

Re: has furthur lost their consistency?

#74346 2 years, 9 months ago
Might as well hear it from Jerry.

doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#74347 2 years, 9 months ago
i didn't attend any west coast shows and i normally only hit about 3 shows per tour that being said this summer i walked away feeling like they were on top of everything and each show i saw was better than the last but after listening to some west coast recordings they sound like they kind of plateaued and i think it might be because they are constantly touring...as a person who loves seeing them live it is hard to say that i think they should cut back on shows it would be nice for them to not do a spring tour maybe one east coast weekend run and a colorado run to stay fresh but then over summer do a larger tour similar to their spring tour 2011 with multiple several day runs in the same cities...i'm 20 and when i saw the east coast fall tour my jaw dropped i don't think i could do some of that driving i think this next tour will be a big make or break tour almost
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#74353 2 years, 9 months ago
Seems like most here agree that Bob was not at his best last tour. I hope he is getting a lot of rest this month and ready to ROCK two weeks from today in Manchester. I know I will be cheering for him to get back in the saddle.

bobhorse.jpg
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

#74385 2 years, 9 months ago
Ok, it was a LITTLE flight of stairs. No big deal. When I first read that I was like damn that's harsh.

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by ShakedownSteve.
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#74471 2 years, 9 months ago
wlewis wrote:
otherone78 wrote:
Furthur is on a very high level of consistency, even when its not killer, its still damn good. Obviously much more consistent then anything the GD were able to do in the 90's. Jerry's voice had major issues regularly and often forgot where he was mid song, Im not sure he ever got Days Between totally right lyrically but we still supported him and his music. Furthur delivers as if they were all 30 year olds again, if this was baseball I would wonder if they were using performance enhancing drugs.

finally there we go somebody hit something i am surprised was never mentioned...how inconsistent the grateful dead could be...being one who never saw but listened to entire years in chronological order, you can hear it on the tapes..sure there are exceptions but to say furthur is more consistent than the grateful dead says that furthur was or is consistent

William, I said this in an earlier post;

Perhaps this is new to some but for myself since I have been on the bus and from reading the history of the dead, this has always been the case. Read some interviews with jerry and you will hear the same statements and sentiments. We are a tough crowd to please for sure. My complaint in the mid 80's was they seemed to have a 20 song selction that was continuosly rotated.(hyperbole). An example of this. 1984-1986 had some fantastic shows and some terrible shows. Garcia was 400 lbs, couldnt breathe, could barley walk on stage. I saw the last leg before the coma and most were just a waste. post coma brought the best since I have seen them. 88-90 is as good as any span when speaking of consistancy. post brent had its ups and downs. I was not a big Vince fan so that brought some baggage with it for me. 94 and 95 had glimpses of strength, but most shows I saw I wish I stayed home.

Post GD is riddled with the same roller coaster as it has been from the beginning. Remember cats, there is nothing new under the sun. This was true in Solomons day as well as today. I go less frequently now than I used to and have a good time. I enjoy getting back together with old friends for a few shows and am thankful they still play.

As far as Furthur, there does seem to be a lack of cohesiveness. Remember, when the GD played, the whole is greater than the sum of all the parts. Add in the age of Phil and Bob, new musicians etc etc. Our expectations must be filtered through this. They must be beat to hell during a tour. This November run will be extremely exhausting. I hope they last!!!!!!

My advice is to enjoy the bad with the good. When they suck say they suck, when they are great, well that was always a special special feeling for me. Even if not at a show that is hot, listen to it with joy and enjoy it.

As an aside, perhaps Bob should shave. It does make him look 100 yrs old!!!!
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#74484 2 years, 9 months ago
newyawker wrote:
wlewis wrote:
otherone78 wrote:
Furthur is on a very high level of consistency, even when its not killer, its still damn good. Obviously much more consistent then anything the GD were able to do in the 90's. Jerry's voice had major issues regularly and often forgot where he was mid song, Im not sure he ever got Days Between totally right lyrically but we still supported him and his music. Furthur delivers as if they were all 30 year olds again, if this was baseball I would wonder if they were using performance enhancing drugs.

finally there we go somebody hit something i am surprised was never mentioned...how inconsistent the grateful dead could be...being one who never saw but listened to entire years in chronological order, you can hear it on the tapes..sure there are exceptions but to say furthur is more consistent than the grateful dead says that furthur was or is consistent

Perhaps this is new to some but for myself since I have been on the bus and from reading the history of the dead, this has always been the case. Read some interviews with jerry and you will hear the same statements and sentiments. We are a tough crowd to please for sure. My complaint in the mid 80's was they seemed to have a 20 song selction that was continuosly rotated.(hyperbole). An example of this. 1984-1986 had some fantastic shows and some terrible shows. Garcia was 400 lbs, couldnt breathe, could barley walk on stage. I saw the last leg before the coma and most were just a waste. post coma brought the best since I have seen them. 88-90 is as good as any span when speaking of consistancy. post brent had its ups and downs. I was not a big Vince fan so that brought some baggage with it for me. 94 and 95 had glimpses of strength, but most shows I saw I wish I stayed home.

Post GD is riddled with the same roller coaster as it has been from the beginning. Remember cats, there is nothing new under the sun. This was true in Solomons day as well as today. I go less frequently now than I used to and have a good time. I enjoy getting back together with old friends for a few shows and am thankful they still play.

As far as Furthur, there does seem to be a lack of cohesiveness. Remember, when the GD played, the whole is greater than the sum of all the parts. Add in the age of Phil and Bob, new musicians etc etc. Our expectations must be filtered through this. They must be beat to hell during a tour. This November run will be extremely exhausting. I hope they last!!!!!!

My advice is to enjoy the bad with the good. When they suck say they suck, when they are great, well that was always a special special feeling for me. Even if not at a show that is hot, listen to it with joy and enjoy it.

i did read that, seemed like you were trying to avoid saying they were inconsistent so i didn't want to assume either way...

in my experience speaking with people who've seen many grateful dead shows, a common thought amongst these folks when discussing the band and music was a consistency furthur could show in a weekend or 5 nights that GD had trouble doing in their later years...i can only comment on what i see, what i hear on recordings, and what primary sources tell me but i think having band members not plagued by serious drug addictions gives us more stability

edit: with that "stability" comes many opportunities for other things to affect the music, heavy touring, age of musicians, etc
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by wlewis.
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#74568 2 years, 9 months ago
wlewis wrote:
newyawker wrote:
wlewis wrote:
otherone78 wrote:

i did read that, seemed like you were trying to avoid saying they were inconsistent so i didn't want to assume either way...

in my experience speaking with people who've seen many grateful dead shows, a common thought amongst these folks when discussing the band and music was a consistency furthur could show in a weekend or 5 nights that GD had trouble doing in their later years...i can only comment on what i see, what i hear on recordings, and what primary sources tell me but i think having band members not plagued by serious drug addictions gives us more stability

edit: with that "stability" comes many opportunities for other things to affect the music, heavy touring, age of musicians, etc

Oh my, The GD was inconsistent for their whole life. But, and this is a big BUT, this inconsistency never outweighed the magic that surrounded them. The music literally played the band. The connection they had together is beyond any of our comprehension. Out of mistakes came many memorable moments for me. The connection, the magic, the just 'knowing' what the other person will do within the GD will NEVER be xeroxed by FURTHUR. Just listen to some jams by the GD and how long it would take to go into the next song. You know the song is coming but the band would spiral you to the edge of the cliff and bring you back 7 times before actually playing the song. It just brings a smile to my face hearing the notes of Other One coming out of space or truckin and watching them weave together a tapestry. I do not believe Furthur has this ability.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Skeeto111
Junior Boarder

#74575 2 years, 9 months ago
I know what you guys mean. I've only seen Furthur twice. Once last year in St. Louis, and then again a few weeks ago at Red Rocks.

Both times they were great but Red Rocks was different.

They rocked the house in St. Louis. They had a few off songs but by and large everything was stellar.

At Red Rocks it was different. The whole first set seemed off except for a couple songs such as Gimme Some Lovin. The opener One More Saturday Night was really good and so was Sittin on top of the World.
Mexicali, Stagger Lee, Peaceful Valley were all kind of weird and I got worried.

Then the second set opened with a eclipse into Mountains of the moon. Even here I was worried. That magic that I'd seen last year and experienced during Gimme Some Lovin in the first set wasn't there. I was afraid they'd lost it and that it would be an off night.

Then they completely blew me away with an unstoppable second set. From St. Stephen on everything seemed better than perfect to me. I was in complete awe.

I know these guys are touring a lot. Maybe they should cool it down a bit. During the first set Bobby was clearly flubbing around a lot and trying to get a hold on things. I was a little worried about the guy.

I'm excited to see them again in St. Louis this year. They absolutely rocked it last year and they're playing at the old fox theatre that the grateful dead used to play at back in the day. It's gorgeous and I know the crowd's going to bring a lot of good energy to the show. It's the second to last show in the tour so I'm worried they'll be tired or something. I just keep sending good vibes to the future. I know so many people going and everyone is really excited about it.

Personally I think they need to let John sing more songs. If Bobby is having trouble singing let the other band members sing. The music is the most important part. I know this sounds crazy but both times I've seen furthur I've had the feeling that the audience needs to help sing along with the band. I found that I had some of the most strange and transcendental moments when I started singing and participating. The crazy thing is that it would sound like they would start to play better the more I sang and got into it. It was surreal and perfect. Then after the show I worried I was that obnoxious guy who would belt out a lot of lyrics. Either way it was fantastic and I have high hopes and expectations for them.
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

#74604 2 years, 9 months ago
nights were there are special pairings of songs such as eclipse>mountains of the moon are great when they first happen but when the band tries to reproduce that magic at subsequent shows it can be the wrong time and place. At saratoga this summer they did the first eclipse>mountains pairing I am fairly certain and it was transcendent, red rocks alot of people on the forum seem to think it was a buzzkill. I heard the same about mission in the rain on the west coast tour. When they broke it out at mansfield it truly was great welcomed and phenomenally performed but then they (or Bob) blew for a lot people on the west coast.

basically is what I am getting at is when Furthur tries to be consistent they end up falling flat on their face and when they try something new or for the first time it gets nailed and receives a warm reception, though i am sure there are people who disagree
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

#74605 2 years, 9 months ago
plus if Furthur had consistency I probably wouldnt go to as many shows. the good ones stand out that much more when they are juxtaposed against the bad ones
Time to create page: 0.66 seconds