• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Shakeit
Senior Boarder

Re: How Old and in the Way is Everybody?

#73664 2 years, 9 months ago
MsJimp
Expert Boarder
I take pictures

#73668 2 years, 9 months ago
Old enough to be in the way lol. 41 arthritic, cranky and proud!
Please tell Governor Christie of NJ to open the records
volare
Senior Boarder

#73670 2 years, 9 months ago
40 here...i picked up my Workingman's Dead in a record shop in Duesseldorf, Germany in 1987 when I was there as an exchange student......I used to bring it with me to the local pub I hung out at to have them play it....

My first show was Cincinnati '89...my first show I got in was at JFK in July '89.....
The Sailor, coming out again, the lady fairly leapt at him.
That's how it stands today. You decide if he was wise.
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by volare.
fourwnds
Senior Boarder

#73696 2 years, 9 months ago
41, first show Vegas '90. Car broke down in middle of nowhere before Barstow in the middle of night. I made it, friends went home. Hitched a ride from some people in the lot home.
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

#73712 2 years, 9 months ago
10 years old here. I like to masturbate and chew gum, and I'm all out of bubble gum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: amusingdeva
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#73720 2 years, 9 months ago
the age is just a number we give ourselves for the same reason we have gold, silver, and platinum board classifications..

i got turned on to the grateful dead in late 2001/early 2002, my first year of high school.... american beauty...this was after giving one of my deadhead friends shit for listening to that "hippie shit"...

when the album ended my jaw was on the ground and i asked my friend if he could get me as much more of this stuff as possible...i truly sounded like someone who had just done uncut cocaine for the first time...i eventually found archive.org and all the tape trading sites and before i knew it was engulfed, my cd racks and tape racks were completely transformed...i read as much about the band as possible (i'll never forget looking at pictures of the band members listening to the europe 72 brown eyed women just thinking wow look at these freaks) my friend told me about a phil lesh and friends show that was going on here in WNY at darien lake that summer, loved it, saw the other ones the dead ratdog the whole nine yards really...

in all i've been to over 250 shows since that day in 2002, i've been on many tours in full...it has been my life for several years, and i am in the process of taking a step back and analyzing my time within the scene and the evolution of myself as well as the scene..i think we are all part of the scene and will always hold a piece of it but there will always be plenty more to go around for the continuing influx of fans
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Bilbo
Senior Boarder
They Love eachother...

#73783 2 years, 9 months ago
39 and holdin' ....a piece of paper. Saw first show in 76 at age 15. A rare daytime show at the St. Louis Blues arena. Anyone see any of the early Haight shows? There was a older guy at Shoreline out in the lot who remembered seeing Mother Mcrees Uptown Jugband at The Top of the Tangent in Palo Alto in like 68 or so..That was an interesting conversation! Shook the hand that shook the hand. Anyone see the new Merry Pranksters doc. that came out not too long ago? Magic Trip .com. There it was, the bus that was at Shoreline and many other recent coast shows driven by the guy that was IN the doc playing on the back porch of the bus at an age of like 5 or so...Ha, saw him at Monterey.
Gone are the days that still are to come...
Peals of fragile thunder...keeping time...
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by Bilbo.
amusingdeva
Platinum Boarder

#73858 2 years, 9 months ago
Island Head wrote:
You should be able to get tickets for MSG & Atlantic City pretty easy. MSG looks like it will be the cheapest, Stub Hub has them as low as 47 bucks plus $4.95 download.

It isn't the ticket price but the flight from Oregon that is doing me in. Still trying to recover financially from fall tour. and just about out of frequent flier miles....

Bu the feedback is much appreciated!
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

#73870 2 years, 9 months ago
I'm 40 and saw my first show at Soldier Field in '92. Getting into the Dead was a long process for me. I hated the Dead in high school because of all the Touchheads in my class who jumped on the bandwagon, and I hated the Dead even more at the beginning of college because of an obnoxious Deadhead roommate who played the same shitty quality bootleg 24/7. Then I met a guy who shared a lot of the same musical interests I did who had recently been to his first show. It was the way he described the live concert experience that intrigued me. My first show was fun, but I wasn't hooked right away. After Soldier Field I started listening to the Dead on my own and slowly got more and more into it. I saw the Rosemont Horizon run in the spring and in the summer of '93 I went to Deer Creek. That's where I finally "got it." I got off the bus for a long time after Jerry died, then Furthur came along and I got right back on. I'm glad I did, and I'm kicking myself for neglecting this wonderful experience for so long.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by ShakedownSteve.
Bilbo
Senior Boarder
They Love eachother...

#73873 2 years, 9 months ago
Cool stories! More pleez! How did they accept the bringing in of Workingman's Dead into the place?
Peals of fragile thunder...keeping time...
Time to create page: 0.48 seconds