• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
chipster10
Junior Boarder
...where we should go...we just ride...

Re: How Old and in the Way is Everybody?

#73622 3 years ago
Jasper wrote:
chipster10 wrote:
I'm 38 (39 in February) & I was started YOUNG..... My first show was in 85 at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta, GA. I'm a Georgia native, so during that fateful afternoon of 10/28/85, I was a "leader in training" at a local "Y" camp. The leader of my cabin, Kenny, told me we were going into Atlanta to have some fun on a "night out". Little did I know I was about to embark on an adventure that would change my life forever. I was amazed, in awe, & overwhelmed.....oh yeah, & I was 13 years old!! If youve ever been to the Fox Theatre in Atlanta, you can relate - there is a reason they call it the "Fabulous Fox". The Dead sucked me in , chewed me up spit me out a completely changed person that night. I was hookled & "on the bus" from then on. I followed the dead the better part of my youth up & down the eastern seaboard all the way until 1995!

Ha! I remember that night, I was a medic downtown Atlanta, fellow head friend had a spare ticket and I could not get my shift covered, had to work. Ended up covering downtown and ran a half dozen runs around the fox for folks who had dosed a touch to much. Security let us in the back for a patient and I got to hear a touch of a tune, they promised to let us back in if we had the time but never did!!! Fun times anyway those were......

J

That's awesome! I distinctly remember they came outta Truckin' into a Smokestack Lightning sort of reprise (Of course, at the time I had no idea it was smokestack...) & I remember Bobby just laying it on thick, leanin into the microphone...."Whoa-ooooooooooo........"...Ha ha - great time & surrounded by FREAKS!
Crank up that ole victrola, put on them rockin' shoes
GKB
Senior Boarder
'Seems like i been here before"

#73625 3 years ago
48 and feel'in grate!! my 1st show was in 89' but not for trying a few yrs earlier and got shutout, so i bought tkts for Crisler Arena Ann Arbor MI. Everybody i knew was there and a whole lot of new friends too! Coast to Coast and 51 shows later the word came that it might be over, Jerry was gone. Took awhile to see another show, Ratdog, saw a few more, did a FF w/THe Other1's, never felt the same. Saw Furthur last yr at 1st Bank cntr, all 3 shows and was like a old friend said, "close you eyes and cup your ears and you'll go back to that place..." went last yr for NYE w/sis,bro-in-law, and my son, was a blast!!
Looking forward to this NYE, too!! and MORE 1st bank cntr and Red Rocks shows next yr....please!?!?!
On the bus for life!
"If you get confused just listen to the music play"
chipster10
Junior Boarder
...where we should go...we just ride...

#73626 3 years ago
amusingdeva wrote:
Seems like there are all ages out here.

I'm on the older side of the spectrum (49) and went to my first show in 1980 in Long Beach. Listening later, it was not even that good of a show but nothing has ever been the same since! I sure do not feel old although I do require a bit more recovery time after 3 shows in a row than I used to.....

Chipster10 Dude: I regret the opposite - never saw an east coast show. Did the mid-west a few times but never made it back east. But planning to go next month if I can fiigure how to financially work in MSG, Atlantic City AND still make it to New Years.

Gotta live while the livin' is good!

I'm glad I was able to see them in California - if you can get to MSG, do it! It's a great venue! GOOD LUCK - hope it works out for you!
Crank up that ole victrola, put on them rockin' shoes
Last Edit: 3 years ago by chipster10.
The following user(s) said Thank You: amusingdeva
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#73629 3 years ago
I'm 25 and unfortunatly just got on the bus 8/20/08. I had a lot of Grateful Dead music before then but I never saw Ratdog thinking something like "well theres only 1 original member" -- yea how dumb that was, plus I just started going to concerts in like 2005 I think. Only saw 3 Ratdog shows, 1 from The Dead 09' tour then I just kept getting more and more into it with Furthur. I just kept traveling more and more as time went on. A couple years ago I was just planning on doing anything within 2 hours of me - now it dosn't matter how far it is, money is the only determinating factor on how many shows I do.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#73632 3 years ago
GKB wrote:
my 1st show was in 89' but not for trying a few yrs earlier and got shutout, so i bought tkts for Crisler Arena Ann Arbor MI. Everybody i knew was there and a whole lot of new friends too!

I loved those shows! A 2 night run five minutes from our apartment. It was the best!!
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#73633 3 years ago
You should be able to get tickets for MSG & Atlantic City pretty easy. MSG looks like it will be the cheapest, Stub Hub has them as low as 47 bucks plus $4.95 download.
Sharicee
Junior Boarder
Love you all!

#73634 3 years ago
I am 35, my mom actually dropped me off at my first JGB show im 93, I was lucky enough to see Jerry 13 times 10 GD shows and 3 JGB shows. I hit up Ratdog shows and did the Ratdog Daze in Jamaica twice, and now I see as many Furthur shows as I possibly can and I am loving every minute of Furthur!
Too pat to open and too cool to bluff...
tumbleweed
Junior Boarder

#73641 3 years ago
A few months shy of 40. Grew up in Ithaca where people on The Commons handed out the legendary Barton Hall tapes to anyone who'd take 'em. Had my first listen at 13 in 1985, 1st show RFK 6-14-91.

My SO (we met at a Furthur show and are planning to get hitched on 11-11-11 btwn MSG and SYR) is 52 and has been on the bus since '77. Coincidentally, his first was that Barton Hall show.
this is the season of what now
brokenarrow
Gold Boarder

#73645 3 years ago
39 here. I got to see the GD 40 something shows in 94 95. Did some of the actual furthur festival tour. Phil and friends once, ratdog once, the Dead 4 times. John Paul jones will be my 8th and MSG will be my 9th furthur shows.
GOOD LOVE
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#73653 3 years ago
I am the only "older" one who never got off the bus? Roughly 150 GD 30 or so JGB. I couldn't listen to any GD for months. But I was back for a couple furtherfests 96 ....and really BACK on the bus with FF 97 .. Arlo was fun on that one Bob was back to playin dead & the dog was in its embryonic state. OO 98 & 00 & 02 The dead 03 04 09... (multiple shows each) At least 70 or so dog shows and 20 or so Phil and friends. Now furthur.. its been one long continuous show. & finally this year SF & NYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last Edit: 3 years ago by Walk in the Sunshine.
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds