• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

22 years ago today- Night one Philly Earthquake sh

#73419 3 years ago
Short History. The SF earthquake happened on 10/17 the GD were off. They had just played the sickest of shows for Bobbys' birthday at the Meadowlands. What else could they open up with but SHAKEDOWN STREET... the following 2 nights get more hype ( california Earthquake breakout 10/20..the then rare Help Slip Franklins in estimated>eyes & super rare Death don't have no mercy on 10/19) and were both phenomenal but I really dug this show too.
For your listening pleasure:

www.archive.org/details/gd1989-10-18.mtx...n.89967.sbeok.flac16

Grateful Dead
10/18/89 (Wed) The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA

Set 1: Shakedown Street, Little Red Rooster, El Paso, Queen Jane Approximately, Bird Song, Music Never Stopped

Set 2: China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, Ship of Fools, Women Are Smarter, Terrapin Station > Drums > Space > Gimme Some Lovin' > All Along The Watchtower > Black Peter > Around and Around > Good Lovin', E: U.S. Blues
Last Edit: 3 years ago by Walk in the Sunshine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, Dire Wolf, newyawker
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

Re: 21 years ago today- Night one Philly Earthquake sh

#73432 3 years ago
I've been a Deadhead since 1992 and this is the first time I've ever heard California Earthquake. I love when that happens.
www.archive.org/details/gd89-10-20.dsbd.eD.7641.sbeok.shnf
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#73433 3 years ago
ShakedownSteve wrote:
I've been a Deadhead since 1992 and this is the first time I've ever heard California Earthquake. I love when that happens.
www.archive.org/details/gd89-10-20.dsbd.eD.7641.sbeok.shnf

I am here to help. I've got a wealth of useless knowledge in my head. They also played California Earthquake in Charlotte a week or so later. That was it 2 & done. This is a nice matrix recording of the 18th... love the guys review at the bottom too.
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#73437 3 years ago
Steve you can't skip forward dammit! It is all one long 3 day gig... one of the finest. No starting in the 7th inning! BTW I share your ebay affliction. This Shakedown is SMOKIN HOT!!
Last Edit: 3 years ago by Walk in the Sunshine.
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

Re: 22 years ago today- Night one Philly Earthquake sh

#73439 3 years ago
Walk in the Sunshine wrote:
Short History. The SF earthquake happened on 10/17 the GD were off. They had just played the sickest of shows for Bobbys' birthday at the Meadowlands. What else could they open up with but SHAKEDOWN STREET... the following 2 nights get more hype ( california Earthquake breakout 10/20..the then rare Help Slip Franklins in estimated>eyes & super rare Death don't have no mercy on 10/19) and were both phenomenal but I really dug this show too.
For your listening pleasure:

www.archive.org/details/gd1989-10-18.mtx...n.89967.sbeok.flac16

Grateful Dead
10/18/89 (Wed) The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA

Set 1: Shakedown Street, Little Red Rooster, El Paso, Queen Jane Approximately, Bird Song, Music Never Stopped

Set 2: China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, Ship of Fools, Women Are Smarter, Terrapin Station > Drums > Space > Gimme Some Lovin' > All Along The Watchtower > Black Peter > Around and Around > Good Lovin', E: U.S. Blues

I am going to go out on the preverbial limb and say the fall of 89 is as good as it gets.

Hampton Coliseum, Hampton VA (10/8/89)
Hampton Coliseum, Hampton VA (10/9/89)
Meadowlands Arena (10/11/89)
Meadowlands Arena (10/12/89)
Meadowlands Arena (10/14/89)
Meadowlands Arena (10/15/89)
Meadowlands Arena (10/16/89)
The Spectrum, Philadelphia PA (10/18/89)
The Spectrum, Philadelphia PA (10/19/89)
The Spectrum, Philadelphia PA (10/20/89)

These 10 shows are all excellent. I can be extremely critical and these shows are pristine.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#73494 3 years ago
I am going to go out on the preverbial limb and say the fall of 89 is as good as it gets.

Hampton Coliseum, Hampton VA (10/8/89)
Hampton Coliseum, Hampton VA (10/9/89)
Meadowlands Arena (10/11/89)
Meadowlands Arena (10/12/89)
Meadowlands Arena (10/14/89)
Meadowlands Arena (10/15/89)
Meadowlands Arena (10/16/89)
The Spectrum, Philadelphia PA (10/18/89)
The Spectrum, Philadelphia PA (10/19/89)
The Spectrum, Philadelphia PA (10/20/89)

These 10 shows are all excellent. I can be extremely critical and these shows are pristine

You are correctg sir while my personal preference is anything 1985 all these shows are standouts. It was quite a run. Fortunantly I made 10/14 10/15 10/18 10/19 & 10&20. Unfortunately I missed 10-16... its still an open wound.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#73511 3 years ago
The Spectrum shows all blend into one for me. It was an interesting couple of shows to be a part of because you knew there was lots more on the minds of the band than putting on a show.....but they sure didn't hold back. Whatever emotions they were feeling poured through. Those opening notes of California Earthquake gave me goosebumps then, and I'm feeling a few now. Even though we didn't know the song, it didn't take long to clue in.

For some reason I always thought of Philly as San Fran east for the GD because of the adoration that started early and continues today....and judging by the consistenty good shows played there, I suspect the band may have felt that way too.
Last Edit: 3 years ago by Terrapin Sedation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
Chester
More or less in line

#73515 3 years ago
I did all 3 nights in Philly. Those were some great shows.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
mcolleen
Junior Boarder
You are the song that the morning brings

#73596 3 years ago
I concur~and was @every one of those shows. Thanks for the memories.
"The breeze would pause to listen in"
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#73903 3 years ago
mcolleen wrote:
I concur~and was @every one of those shows. Thanks for the memories.

There was something special about '89. Jerry was reenergized, the band was hotter than hell. These 10 shows that I saw will forever be in my memory. I agree with the 3 spectrum shows blending into one. It was as if they did a six set show. Hampton was out of this world. and the meadowlands will go downin memory as one of the best string of NY shows i saw. I still cannot think of a down moment for all of them
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Last Edit: 3 years ago by newyawker.
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds