• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

Such a sad story...

#73092 3 years ago
Another young life gone. It's too bad he never discovered the music of the Grateful Dead. I notice A LOT of young gay guys at Furthur shows. I'm gay, btw.
www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/17/jamie-...7Csec1_lnk3%7C104998
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
Last Edit: 3 years ago by ShakedownSteve.
jaredlang
Platinum Boarder

Re: Such a sad story...

#73128 3 years ago
It is a sad story. I think this boy's problems stemmed from being depressed, and not necessarily by his being homosexual.
I think the problem (other than bullies in high school) is that there isn't enough support for a 15 year old to turn to in these types of situations. Hopefully we (society) can learn from these situations in order to prevent them from happening in the future. Unfortunately this boy was not the last 15 year old to end their lives because of what seemed to be a hopeless situation.
Standing on the moon with nothing left to do
A lovely view of heaven but I'd rather be with you
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

#73141 3 years ago
poor kid, it must suck being the only openly gay person in high school. It is kind of hard for me to feel sorry for people who commit suicide however. It is the most selfish thing a human can do. He obviously had no concern for anyone but himself (parents, friends, family etc) Sad story indeed
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
jaredlang
Platinum Boarder

#73142 3 years ago
I agree that suicide can be considered by some a selfish easy way out, however, think about what was going through this kid's head. He took this drastic step for a reason, and it wasn't because he was a happy balanced 15 year old.
Unfortunately, like i mentioned earlier, this is not an isolated incident at all. We've all been through that stage of life, and obviously the vast majority of us have persevered, no matter what hardships and unpleasant experiences we had growing up. Suicide is a very drastic step, often carried out because the person killing themselves have some underlying emotional and mental issues. Having a bad day, being bullied, being rejected by the guy or girl you like, school pressures, peer pressures etc....these are all things that we all experienced growing up. Fortunately (or unfortunately) most of us are able to handle these things better than others.
I always said that whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Unfortunately this 15 yr old from Ottawa didnt see it thatway.
deadontherivet
Expert Boarder

#73152 3 years ago
If you are an adult I agree that suicide is a selfish thing to do, but this was a 15 year old kid. When your in your teens everything hits you 10 times harder. Half is from lack of experience, and the other half is from a hormone filled only partially developed brain.

It is sad these things still occur, but I think it is slowly getting better. I live in the middle of the bible belt, and have seen people change here over the last several years.

Hey Steve great for you, I have some pretty cool lesbian friends down in Tampa I think you would get along with. I used to date one of them years ago, before she went completely to the other team. What does that say about me. Lol
I wish I was the headlight on a northbound train.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ShakedownSteve
jaredlang
Platinum Boarder

#73155 3 years ago
Deadontherivet sends them to lesbianism......I bring them right back.....
Just trying to bring some levity to an otherwise sad story.....no offense meant at all!
deadontherivet
Expert Boarder

#73156 3 years ago
jaredlang wrote:
Deadontherivet sends them to lesbianism......I bring them right back.....
Just trying to bring some levity to an otherwise sad story.....no offense meant at all!

lol
I wish I was the headlight on a northbound train.
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder
The wheels are muddy, got a ton of hay

#73183 3 years ago
sucks...he said he'll be a flying squirrel in the next life...thats funny. He obviously had a funny sense of humor but needed acceptance from others. Fuck what other people think---this is sad. sucks. RIP.
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder
The wheels are muddy, got a ton of hay

#73185 3 years ago
splatter_face wrote:
poor kid, it must suck being the only openly gay person in high school. It is kind of hard for me to feel sorry for people who commit suicide however. It is the most selfish thing a human can do. He obviously had no concern for anyone but himself (parents, friends, family etc) Sad story indeed

i agree, but also strongly disagree. Some people haVE IT really rough. And you really cant fathom how miserable a person can be sometimes. Yeah we all have danced to jerry and the dead and "stayed in blue light cheap hotels" and been to "shakedown"...many never get to terrapin and know the beauty of life. You gotta feel sorry- dont say you dont bro. you GOTTA feel bad they never seen the light or been had some lovin....
- Been walkin all mornin, been walkin all n ight, cant see much difference between the dark and light. you cant let go cause your afraid to fall, but the day may come when u cant phil at all...comes a time.

i think i just mixed the lyrics up a tad...oooh well- git the gist
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

#73195 3 years ago
I didn't know the kid so I can't comment on how bad his situation was. No matter what the kid was going through his parents, family and friends are now going through something much worse.
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds