• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Bilbo
Senior Boarder
They Love eachother...

Re: No More Monterey?

#72907 3 years ago
Kind Head, True Dat! Had a crazy thought today...a BUNCH of us dyed in the wool Heads approach the never go into the show parasites and just say "look man, you're screwin' up the scene. Just go to some park somewhere and trash that! This is sacred hollowed ground here around this music. Take your fights and trash somewhere else!" Crazy thought eh? More than likely we'd have a rumble on our hands... Seems kinda harsh I guess...it doesn't feel right though to allow some to mess it up for all.
Peals of fragile thunder...keeping time...
deadontherivet
Expert Boarder

#72990 3 years ago
Kind Head, yeah Red Rocks was pretty cool this year. I think the lack of tanks had a lot to do with that. The nitrous crews are not vendors, heads, or any part of the scene. They are pure capitalist, only taking, and not giving back anything positive. The funny part is in my observations the custys sucking down $20 balloons are the same people complaining about the wooks, and dirty tour kids. They are the only ones who can afford a $20 short crappy buzz.

As far as the trash situation, Furthur could learn from Phish. Phish has a green crew for every show. They give out a ticket to every member of the green crew. All they have to do is volunteer to clean up the lot before the show. It seems to work pretty well.
I wish I was the headlight on a northbound train.
Lefty
Fresh Boarder

#73058 3 years ago
Monterey was completely trashed out. Trash was piled up all down Fairground and Fremont St. I thought it was funny. What are you gonna do? Spunions were roaming around, looking for their lost hotel. Local clef-palette homeless chick Danielle propositioned us. Gay karaoke blared from the nearby Planet Gemini. My brother and I sat on a bus bench and watched the hilarity. The Fairground RV scene was perfect. My buddy parked his brown bus in the lower section on the grass next to the bathrooms in the lot next to Shakedown. Perfect heckling spot. On Sat night we were entertained with a gutter punk chick violently freaking out as she was hauled off in the Police Wagon. The cops gave us her block of cheese she was using for "heddie grilled cheeses, brah".

The music was righteous, too. (Especially Friday night)
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#73087 3 years ago
deadontherivet wrote:
First off the scene will never be anything like 1995 again. If anyone thinks it is close they weren't there. I was at Deer Creek ( had a ticket) and it was nuts. Sometimes u would get 70,000 people showing up. Furthur is not even selling 1/4 that many tickets.

This whole argument is getting my goat. I vend, and do go into the shows. I get tired of hearing how vendors and artisans are ruining the scene. The only thing that seems to create problems is the nitrous tanks on lot. If cystic would stop buying $10-$20 balloons they would go away.

As far as policing goes I don't see anything worse on lot than at a college football tailgate. The only difference is the style of dress, and a lot less love.

Its not the vendors, its the trash that just goes to the venue with absolutely no interest in the music. It has been like this for a lot of years. You are absolutely correct about the numbers. Furthur gets nowhere close the dead got from 87 -95. There were parts of the scene then that sucked as bad as this Monterey situation. This past summer tour I spent little if any time on the lot.

I will politely disagree with you football tailgate analogy though. I do not see hordes of homeless junkies habging out asking for much.

One must also remember where they played. Certain cities have an enormous amount of dirty junkies, certain ones do not.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
deadontherivet
Expert Boarder

#73158 3 years ago
"will politely disagree with you football tailgate analogy though. I do not see hordes of homeless junkies habging out asking for much.

One must also remember where they played. Certain cities have an enormous amount of dirty junkies, certain ones do not. "

I don't know what college football games you go to, but I was at Ohio State in the 90's. Every home game would turn into a near riot on campus. I saw binge drinking at a whole new level, tons of fights, cops spraying tear gas, shooting crowds with rubber bullets, plenty of fires, and destruction of property.
I wish I was the headlight on a northbound train.
Sharicee
Junior Boarder
Love you all!

#73159 3 years ago
I didn't think the scene in Monterey was horribly bad, but I tend to line up early and go in right away for GA shows so I can get as close to the front as possible. We all tend to look scruffier at the end of tour vs the beginning of tour.
Too pat to open and too cool to bluff...
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#73160 3 years ago
deadontherivet wrote:
"will politely disagree with you football tailgate analogy though. I do not see hordes of homeless junkies habging out asking for much.

... wrote:
One must also remember where they played. Certain cities have an enormous amount of dirty junkies, certain ones do not. "

I don't know what college football games you go to, but I was at Ohio State in the 90's. Every home game would turn into a near riot on campus. I saw binge drinking at a whole new level, tons of fights, cops spraying tear gas, shooting crowds with rubber bullets, plenty of fires, and destruction of property.

I was and am specifically speaking about gutter junkies and beggars. Yes, that type of shit you mentioned happens at football also and is lamentable. Again the key is the city. I am positive Montana and Utah did not have that many dregs at the scene
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Last Edit: 3 years ago by newyawker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: deadontherivet
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#73260 3 years ago
Sharicee wrote:
I didn't think the scene in Monterey was horribly bad, but I tend to line up early and go in right away for GA shows so I can get as close to the front as possible. We all tend to look scruffier at the end of tour vs the beginning of tour.

funny you say that..i think i took a before and after set of pictures for this last tour, i knew it'd be a doozie
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#73289 3 years ago
everyone should watch that tye dyed movie it goes over all this
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Time to create page: 0.22 seconds