• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

No More Monterey?

#72401 3 years ago
Looks like Furthur might not get invited back according to this resident. Anyone at these shows see the same thing?

Letter from The Herald: Further concert plagued by gutter people

Gutter people a downer

It's rare these days to witness antics like those carried out by the fans of Furthur, the post-Grateful Dead group led by Bob Weir and Phil Lesh, at the Fairgrounds last weekend. It looked like every panhandler and junkie from L.A. to San Francisco came to Monterey. "These are not Deadheads," one veteran concertgoer said. "These are gutter people."

Friday night at the Motel 6 on North Fremont, the manager tried to disperse a large group in the back lot who were loitering, littering, yelling and selling drugs. Someone shoved her and then the mob surrounded her. She retreated and summoned the cops. Three times the police responded, and three times the intruders scurried off like insects, returning when the coast was clear. The manager finally gave up.

People were seen sleeping in hallways and in corners of private property. Just before midnight Saturday, someone fired eight shots in the air. By Sunday, Fairground Road was littered with empty balloons that previously contained heroin.

I have it on good authority that Mr. Weir and his band will not be asked back. And that's too bad. Amid the yelling, sirens and chaos, the music sounded pretty good.

Cameron Douglas
Monterey
Chester
More or less in line

Re: No More Monterey?

#72403 3 years ago
First I've heard of it. Interesting. I wonder if it's isolated to that one hotel, or was more widespread? Too bad either way.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#72405 3 years ago
furthur_2011-10-15.jpg

Here's another opinion letter from the same paper that sheds a better light on Monterey.

Friday was like a comfortable shoe, looking like a full house but still leaving room to wiggle your toes. Saturday was more like sardines in a can, but they were all very happy sardines.

Let's talk about that wiggling. Definitely one of the more delightful aspects of being at these concerts was watching this huge crowd of people in Pattee Arena shaking it and bobbing all around together while listening to this masterful band weave its magic.

Lots of folks like to joke about Deadheads and their apparent blind allegiance to the past glories of this group of musicians. But after experiencing the concerts firsthand I can tell you it is justifiably one of the most happy group experiences one can have standing up.

OK, so it takes a certain kind of person to be at ease in such a concentrated mass of humanity, many with appearances outside of what you normally see on Monterey Peninsula streets.
But come on, when a band has the longevity that Furthur does, even without its dearly missed Jerry Garcia, there is a shared conviviality you just don't find many places. The music just plain makes folks that happy.
Since I made both nights, I could venture to say that I enjoyed Friday night for different reasons than on Saturday. I thought the music was more cohesive and I enjoyed the swinging jazz feel to some of the jams, especially the second set starting with the song "Estimated Prophet." I just like that song, and it morphed into "Deal," (Don't you let that deal go down!!), "Playing in the Band," and then the awesome "Dark Star."

The performance of The Beatles' "Dear Prudence" was transcendent, an absolutely gorgeous rendition of the song that Garcia often did with his signature band, with amazing vocal harmonies. Ending the night with the encore "Touch of Grey" was very cool as well.

Saturday the group touched on some of the early tunes off the band's debut recording, like "Viola Lee Blues" and "Morning Dew," and of course the classic "Golden Road," and that I really enjoyed, as I was a fan of the band back then and happened to catch their set at the Monterey Pop Festival.

It seemed as though the jam sections in the first set were a bit disjointed, though. It's hard to know whether that was intentional or not, but just as it seemed there was an agreement among the players to go a certain way, another would change it up, and the path veered to a new groove.

Kept happening that way for a bit, and I smiled at the thought of why that, or what's going on there? Kept me guessing for sure. And it was very fitting to have the two nights culminate with the song "One More Saturday Night." Yes it was.

All in all, it was a great time and everyone I've talked to felt the same way. Gotta love Furthur. It was truly a happening for Monterey music fans. Phil Lesh, in his end-of-the night plea for folks to be organ donors (he acknowledges freely he wouldn't be alive today without the liver he received in a transplant as a result of his Hepatitis C infection), on Saturday he said how much the band enjoyed playing for Monterey and maybe they should do it more often. I think that is a great idea! Let's do it again.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#72411 3 years ago
2nd one was written by a fan the first by a scared person "ballons that previously held heroin"really or nitrous? ill go with the late rbut they do raise the point of a few bad apples ruining the fun for the rest shades of 95 rearing its ugly head .people your actions have consequences no one said dont have fun but use some some common sense just my opinion yours may vary
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
Chester
More or less in line

#72417 3 years ago
83msg1sttyme wrote:
2nd one was written by a fan the first by a scared person "ballons that previously held heroin"really or nitrous? ill go with the late rbut they do raise the point of a few bad apples ruining the fun for the rest shades of 95 rearing its ugly head .people your actions have consequences no one said dont have fun but use some some common sense just my opinion yours may vary

I was thinking the same thing about the balloons. I hope it's not an indication of the scene getting out of hand.
And more of an isolated incident. Actions do indeed have consequences. Be smart, and be safe.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Bilbo
Senior Boarder
They Love eachother...

#72440 3 years ago
Kinda thinkin' that Bob and Phil would like to see things sorted out on there on our own ...in other words, we need to clean up our act, the whole thing. Could it be that someones, somehows creates a separate 'scene' that is made up of those who truly appreciate what the Dead conveyed to us all those many years? That of Brother and Sisterhood and good old hippie values, and us older heads remember what those are. When in Eugene for the showsthe local history musem had an exhibit called "tye-dyed and tofu, a collection of the early hippy movement in Eugene"... How cool! Granny dresses and ornate roach clips, the early days of the Country Fair, the early co-ops and coffee houses and communes. How can we muddle throught the black muddy river and come up on the other side of the big river where she kneels and fills the water bottle? Any ideas? Older heads, any reflections. Gone are the days when the ox fall down....
Peals of fragile thunder...keeping time...
Last Edit: 3 years ago by Bilbo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: katie mae
furthurfeline
Junior Boarder

#72444 3 years ago
We were just a few doors down on Fremont at the Ramada and no problems there. There was some nitrous, but nothing compared to East coast shows. We heard police complaining like it was the worst crowd they've ever seen. I am wondering if maybe Monterrey is used to a cleaner cut looking crowd. I thought the crowd was pretty mellow and a lot less dirty wookies than in Eugene.
Last Edit: 3 years ago by furthurfeline.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Island Head
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#72471 3 years ago
I think Monterey is more sensitive than other places. For omen thing I thought it wasn't even that bad of a crowd. I mean I see way worse.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#72476 3 years ago
monterey was loaded with every pandhler from LA to frisco that is not a joke...the whole town was mobbed with a bunch of losers, just like the entire tour is...i'm sorry but there are just so many fucking dirtbags "on tour", consistently bumming in every city not attending shows unless they sneak in

the balloons were from all the gas but be real, if you don't think dope is on tour get real..so many fucking junkies..take a walk down to golden gate park to see all the GDF jokes who just got home from ratting around parking lots, their nodded out slumped against the trees...or what about the guy who overdosed in the lot at red rocks in 2010?

as much as i love being on tour, the parking lot is a place i avoid almost all of the time

would be a complete shame...monterey fairgrounds was one of the best venues all around to see these guys at...we even got on the stage after hours, got some pictures of where hendrix carved his name and the scuffs from townshend and the who
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, Dire Wolf, katie mae
Chuck_Woolery
Visitor

#72511 3 years ago
Sucks hear about the scene getting f'd up. Makes sense why the band doesn't stick around one venue to long anymore.
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds