Visitor

...was "very slippery."

#7233 3 years, 6 months ago
JoeKimutis.jpg

Victim of fall at Petersen had been 'acting weird'
By Jill King Greenwood
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, April 1, 2011

A McDonald man might have taken hallucinogens such as mushrooms and was "acting weird" at a concert before he crashed through a window at the Petersen Events Center in Oakland and fell about 30 feet to his death, Pittsburgh police said Thursday.

Some witnesses told detectives Joseph Kimutis, 19, got into a football stance, yelled "hike" and crashed through the window during an intermission about 9 p.m. Wednesday. At least two other witnesses said Kimutis jumped up and down like a track and field athlete about to do the long jump when he ran directly into the window.

"We don't know exactly what happened, and we may never know," said police Lt. Daniel Herrmann. "Not too many people actually saw it happen. The place was crowded and loud, and people were paying attention to other things."

The floor in front of the window Kimutis crashed through appeared to have just been cleaned and waxed, Herrmann said, and was "very slippery." That may have been a factor.

"I don't think he wanted to crash through that window," Herrmann said. "I really don't think that was his intention."

Kimutis joined his father at the show featuring the band Further, which includes two former Grateful Dead members. Kimutis' father declined to comment. An autopsy is expected to be performed today, and toxicology reports are likely to take weeks, Herrmann said.

Kimutis attended South Fayette High School through his junior year, said district Superintendent Bille Pearce Rondinelli. He ran track and played football.

He transferred to Seton-LaSalle Catholic High School for his senior year, and Gary Rodgers, president of the school, said students and staff there were saddened to hear of his death.

"We extend to his family our deepest sympathies on their great loss and the promise of our prayers and support," Rodgers said. "Our hearts go out to all of his family and friends as they mourn the loss of this young man."

Kimutis spent one semester at Slippery Rock University before withdrawing in December, university spokesman Karl Schwab said. Schwab didn't know whether Kimutis participated in any campus activities or transferred to another university.

Kimutis' neighbors described him as friendly and always smiling. Someone created a Facebook page in his memory called "God's Newest Angel, Joe Kimutis."

Jill King Greenwood can be reached at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it or 412-321-2160.
Deadhead4Obama
Junior Boarder

Re: ...was "very slippery."

#7237 3 years, 6 months ago
See, I was wondering if he wasnt just fucking around and slipped and fell. The iwndow was like, ground level. The very bottom of the wall. I dunno how he really got that low with enough force to break it.....

ANd, shit, shrooms are crazy. Sometimes you eat a cut, and its nothing. Someimtes you eat a cut, and its a mind melting, life changing, harrowing experience. Man. What a shame.
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

#7239 3 years, 6 months ago
I don't like to judge .
But I've dosed and chowed shrooms more times than I can count going back almost thirty five years.
I have never ,ever felt suicidal or been scared by it no matter how large the dose. I guess it's different for everyone we may never know what really happened to that kid
I really feel bad for his family
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
Deadhead4Obama
Junior Boarder

#7242 3 years, 6 months ago
But it owuld be easy for someone to get out of control, be hrosing around and just slip and fall on shrooms, ya know? He might not have been sucidal at all. Just realyl high and having too much fun for his own good.

least thats how i wanna invision it
Deadhead4Obama
Junior Boarder

#7243 3 years, 6 months ago
ALSO~! I just wanna add this is the ONLY article in all the papers that mentions drug use. THe police at the scene said there was no evidence to support drugs played a part, and dude was at a a Furthur show. PLUS, the tribe is a VERY conservative paper, and recently said a buddy of mine died of a OD,w hile his cause of death is still pending.

THUS... id least take the shrooms part with grain of ssalt until its reported else where.
Chester
More or less in line

#7248 3 years, 6 months ago
Really tragic. Condolences to his family and friends.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#7258 3 years, 6 months ago
wow I see this giving mushrooms a bad reputation.....

I want to know how the paper came up with that assumption before the autopsy. With the window right on the floor and the floor being slippery, I think its not out of the question to slip and fall on anything, alcohol or any drug in the situation described.

It is possible that he was on mushrooms, and it is easy to take to much.......a lot of people do an eighth and say "oh I can handle twice the effects of this" and then they do a quarter, which is actually way more then twice the effects of an eighth and then freak out and never do them again. and they definitley affect everybody different......

With that being said I still don't think it sounds like he was on them, I definitley see no evidence that would cause the paper to say mushrooms specifically......Think about it to, he was with his dad so would either have to do them with him or behind his back, I doubt he did them behind his back as it would almost certainly result in a bad trip doing shrooms in front of somebody that your hiding them from.

If done together I would expect him to have been watched over better but you never know what could of happened. Seems a little out of control for mushrooms to me to but like we all know they effect everyone different. Even if he was on them, considering all the circumstances theres no way this tragic incident should be considered the fault of the mushrooms.

I can't get over how sad it is though...
irishqueenie
Senior Boarder
let there be songs to fill the air!!!

#7305 3 years, 6 months ago
Rip Joseph and peace and healing to his family(i know his dad must be shredded inside- just because he was there) and as a parent we always feel we could've done something!
no one is mentioning the glass- shouldn't it have been safety glass?? i can't believe it was. this boy doesn't look heavy or real big- i don't get it!!
i think it is a little early to blame mushrooms or anything else for that matter. just pray for his family and friends. so very sad!
furthuronuptheroad
Fresh Boarder

#7315 3 years, 6 months ago
truely a tragedy. personally, i've found mushrooms to be the opposite of whats being described. more of a stay floored in my seat or walk around under the radar kind of thing. i certainly wouldn't be jumping around and causing a scene if i was under the influence, eventhough, there wasn't a heavy police presence at the petersen. we'll never know if it was actually an accident or a planned suicide, but i think it's highly unlikely the guy was planning on dying that night. maybe he thought the glass was strong enough and wouldnt break. maybe he slipped. who knows. really unfortunate no matter the circumstances but we all have to go one day. and it's safe to say he went out in style. hope jerry is playing him the song of his choice as i type this.
Jack_Straw
Junior Boarder

#7345 3 years, 6 months ago
Old school mushroom lover here.

With the introduction of (((Chocolates))) who knows how much mushrooms is in an actual dose???

I've never taken a (((Chocolate)))

but i've read that they can be

prettty

pretty

STRONG

furthuronuptheroad wrote:
truely a tragedy. personally, i've found mushrooms to be the opposite of whats being described. more of a stay floored in my seat or walk around under the radar kind of thing. i certainly wouldn't be jumping around and causing a scene if i was under the influence, eventhough, there wasn't a heavy police presence at the petersen. we'll never know if it was actually an accident or a planned suicide, but i think it's highly unlikely the guy was planning on dying that night. maybe he thought the glass was strong enough and wouldnt break. maybe he slipped. who knows. really unfortunate no matter the circumstances but we all have to go one day. and it's safe to say he went out in style. hope jerry is playing him the song of his choice as i type this.
cut his buddy down
Last Edit: 3 years, 6 months ago by Jack_Straw.
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds