• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

Occupy Wall Street - thread 2

#72295 2 years, 6 months ago
This is too big to ignore, but I think we need a new thread where we do not attack each other for our personal beleifs. But rather a place to discuss and debate the issues. RESPECTFULLY.

I was pleased to see that here in NY they are now also protesting the conflicts overseas (Iraq, Afghanistan). We spend too much money there considering we do not have enough money to feed all the hungry people in this country (especially children). And duh....Sadaam hated Osama Bin Laden. How you link 9-11 to Iraq is beyond me. I hope this part of the protests gain some traction.

Protests appear to be getting a bit more confrontational, but whenever I see conflicts with police officers, etc the protesters all come over with dozens of cameras. Very Smart. And now there appear to be articulate spokesmen for the protesters. But overally relatively non-violent, except for Rome where they are getting violent. This is from today in Rome

Pic below: A protester hurls a canister during clashes in Rome, Saturday. Protesters smashed the windows of shops in Rome and torched a car as violence broke out during a demonstration in the Italian capital. www.npr.org/2011/10/15/141384740/rioters...police-fire-tear-gas

rome_01_wide.jpg

I see them pointing out a lot of legitimate problems in this country (bank bailouts, unemployment) but it is easy to find fault and problems. I hope they take it to the next level if they have not already) and propose workable solutions that have a chance to succeed.

We saw quite a change in congress last November after the tea party protests. That imo is the key. Make your point heard with your votes.

And for those of us eligible to vote but who do not, what are you waiting for?
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abba
BigBabyViper
Junior Boarder

Re: Occupy Wall Street - thread 2

#72325 2 years, 6 months ago
i fully support it although some of their things they are complaining about seem silly like not wanting to pay for a college education i mean cmon thats dumb, but to me and i think most people should be pleased that finally some kind of movement with a large following with many participating, is being utilized for change in our country and world. no matter if you agree with their methods or arguing points i think they should be applauded for not being pussies and just letting unjust things slap them in the face everyday. i think its great some people in this country still have a little grit and will stand up for what they believe in
It never got weird enough for me -Hunter S.
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#72349 2 years, 6 months ago
"........ some of their things they are complaining about seem silly like not wanting to pay for a college education i mean cmon thats dumb........"

With all due respect, I don't think that the idea of a country offering its citizens a free college education is either silly or dumb. Lots of countries have that and it is one of the best investments a society could make, in my opinion.

I'm happy that you agree with most of the issues the Occupy Wall Street protesters stand for!!!
Without love day to day insanity's king
BigBabyViper
Junior Boarder

#72354 2 years, 6 months ago
i guess i should clarify some free college education options would be fine but i think if everybody could go for free it would be hard to pay for i would assume but i do agree with you educating our people is one of the best things you could do we are pretty dumb compared to some other countries so that is a great point
It never got weird enough for me -Hunter S.
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

#72365 2 years, 6 months ago
The New York Police Department has spent over $2 million in overtime pay to patrol the area near Zuccotti Park. It's time for these protests to end.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abba
tumbleweed
Junior Boarder

#72406 2 years, 6 months ago
We live and work here and we are fine with the OT being spent to keep the peace at a peaceful demonstration.
Govt employee OT abuse in NYC is already a huge problem. $2million is a drop in the bucket compared to what other agencies like Port Authority and Sanitation take in OT in a calendar year.

Just seems odd to this New Yorker the news media fixation on the 2 mil.
And it is certainly not a reason to take issue with protesters. I wonder how much was spent nationwide on security at Tea Party rallies last year.
this is the season of what now
Abba
Gold Boarder
I missed Jerry!

#72431 2 years, 6 months ago
Find an OCCUPATION near you www.occupytogether.com
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
Think for yourself, Escape the gene pools
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#72597 2 years, 6 months ago
ShakedownSteve wrote:
The New York Police Department has spent over $2 million in overtime pay to patrol the area near Zuccotti Park. It's time for these protests to end.

With all due respect, Shakedown, the protesters have a first amendment right to do what they are doing. Do you want to repeal our right to peaceably assemble? The end of the Vietnam war, womens' right to vote, civil rights, the 40 hour work week and many other worthly causes gained public attention initially through peaceful protest. This is America. The $2million, which is a tiny fraction of the amount of money greedy wall street executives and bankers have ripped off from people, is the cost of providing people with their constitutional rights.

Steve, if you disagree with the issues the protesters are raising, that is fine. We are all entitled to our opinions. However, squashing first amendment rights is a dangerous road to go down. I for one do not want to live in a country where the government silences the people.
Without love day to day insanity's king
Time to create page: 0.75 seconds