• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
The_Aviator
Fresh Boarder

Re: Cancelling show bad rap for all.

#71281 2 years, 6 months ago
stricken wrote:
Thanks for all who replied even the joker shakedown steve. gr8fuljen brother dust im thinking along your terms and others. I hate to report this but its confirmed that it was lack of ticket sales. It hurts to realize we are not 16,000 strong. Box office number 814 865 5555 or Lori Rigg at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it thats for anyone who doubts my stating this.
I dont think there was enough patience on the part of whomever pulled the plug on this show. I know for a fact there was a serious lack of promotion on the part of promoter. So i hope hes not in the mix at albany for the sake of those buying those tickets.
I guess i just wish the band or those responsible for the posting would be honest about the reason for not having the show.

Very unfortunate that they would do that... NONE of my friends had purchased tickets yet, I didn't either. We were all going to order them this weekend actually. I'm sure a lot of other people were in the same situation, I know a lot of people were bummed. I think if you schedule a show you should make a strong attempt to play it, even if you're losing money and playing to a crowd of only a few. The crowd's satisfaction should be worth more than the money lost. Oh well, I guess I may never experience Furthur depending on how long they're together...
The following user(s) said Thank You: stricken
i_be_sublime
Expert Boarder
R.I.P.JERRY

#71306 2 years, 6 months ago
Amen to that brother! Sick of n.y getting all the love.This show was in my backyard!!Afeter spending 35$ to park at the 2 coney island shows not sure i could afford a madison square garden etc etc n.y. gets love finally i had the chance to take folks that otherwise would not spend there hard earned money to travel to see a band called further and that includes some old heads that just think the magic is gone i dunno but would have been able to turn some iffy heads into heads see if my mom would go lol kidding there but come home right after the show what the hell does that mean?Guess i ll never know.But working on the rooms for syracuse and buffalo so guess we just keep the wheels rolling!
gr8fuljen
Expert Boarder

#71323 2 years, 6 months ago
First this is WITS... it could be alot worse folks. I am goin to dip in the WITS file for the story of a TRUELY sucky cancellation. I'll be as brief as possible. The time Spring 1993. After the unfortunate cxl of fall tour due to Jerrys' health we decided to do 2 Richfield> 3 cap Center. The day of the show was the blizzard of 93. A few buds and I drove to Pittsburgh and stayed at my real brothers house the night before from Philly. Other friends met up with us from DC. That morning was a MF blizzard. We had 2 cars that were goin to attempt to caravan from the Pittsburgh area to Richfiled (outside of Cleveland). It should have been a 2 hour drive and some of the folks were only doing Richfield (including my brother). Its a Saturday and we leave at 10am. Within an hour we lose the other car you could not see 5 iniches in front of the car -- all the way there they are saying show will go on as planned. It took us 7.5 hours, when we rolled in.. the other car hadn't made it yet. We get in the room pumped WE FIN DID IT!. We get changed and start discussing how the band is gonna blow it out for the faithful who made it through the storm ( st Stephen?) About 15 minutes later car 2 arrives they walk in and say show just got cancelled. We thought they were kidding but they were not. After no fall tour the excitement on the way there was off the charts. The rest of the bleary night went something like this-- between 2 cars and 7 people we had 10 cases of beer and 4 half gallons of vodka. So we all gather in one room to whine together.. crack open a brew... and the MF power goes out & stayed out till noon the next day. Fortunately one car had brought a flashlight with new batteries. So the night went- cancellation>gather alcohol>power out> legendary drinking party featuring the rusty crusty Pittsburgh unemployed vs the Philly Cheesesteaks in a never ending game of caps. When we awoke ithe room looked like Animal House and most of the alcohol was killed. So we say they are gonna play an epic show tonight to make up for it. Nope..worst show I ever saw....band was WAYYYYYYYYYYYY off..and I couldn't dream of a worse setlist (especially set 1). The crowd was ready to blow the roof off and it was horrid. I found out years later that the band did pretty much what we did at their hotel the night before ( no show might as well party/drink up)....and was hurtin. It should be noted it was the city that cancelled the show as they were afraid the LOCAL coliseaum workers would be at risk trying to get to work ! Less than 2 hours before showtime!
Thank god I went to the cap center as things returned to normal but it really sucked for those like my brother who couldn't make it to the cap center. Oh & our rent a car caught fire when we started it the following morning. fuckin Cleveland I hate that place... !!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh & f the browns too!
gr8fuljen
Expert Boarder

#71325 2 years, 6 months ago
good lord I forgot.. we were treated to a special breakout. a 3 minute version of "I fought the law" awesome not

here's the list - I wasn't alone obviously this is the lowest rated show I have ever seen on setlist.com

Grateful Dead
03/14/93 (Sun) Richfield Coliseum - Richfield, OH

Set 1: Cold Rain & Snow, Walkin' Blues, Brown Eyed Women, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues, Lazy River Road, Eternity, Don't Ease Me In

Set 2: Touch of Grey, Samson & Delilah, Way To Go Home, Corrina > Terrapin Station > Jam > Drums > Space > I Need A Miracle > Stella Blue > Throwing Stones > Lovelight, E: I Fought The Law

I just threw up in my mouth remembering this atrocity.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This show has an average rating of 2.27 out of 15
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by gr8fuljen.
stricken
Gold Boarder

#71381 2 years, 6 months ago
Anytime there is a cancelation of a show it sucks and maybe furthur is as much a victum as the people who where heading to this show. All i know is if anyone could tell me who the promotor was i would like to send him my junk email and spam for the forseable future along with never attending any show he promotes.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#71407 2 years, 6 months ago
Sorry to all. I know the feeling. Jerry once cancelled a jgb show at the warfield because his hand went numb. I think it was due to a jelly fish sting. I believe that was the reason. I was sad.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#71410 2 years, 6 months ago
23atwell wrote:
Sorry to all. I know the feeling. Jerry once cancelled a jgb show at the warfield because his hand went numb. I think it was due to a jelly fish sting. I believe that was the reason. I was sad.

Were you there? I was there and already inside, had eating some mushrooms and was just getting off when they made the announcement. It was a definate buzzkilll. Looking back on that period, however, I am nothing but grateful to have been able to live in San Francisco and see many JGB Warfield shows!
Without love day to day insanity's king
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#71453 2 years, 6 months ago
Ya I was in the same position as you. Ate my goodies and ready to roll. I am grateful also for living in the bay. My first show ever was 93. Jgb Henry j kaiser. I loved all the warfield shows. The best.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
Time to create page: 0.51 seconds