• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
stricken
Gold Boarder

Cancelling show bad rap for all.

#70791 2 years, 6 months ago
The show for state college that was cancelled makes me wonder if its greed on the part of someone. The explanation is without appoligy nor does it say in any sure terms if it was lack of ticket sales. Was any attempt made to find a venue closer? I checked other venues in close proximity of state college like war memorial in johnstown communities art center williamsport and even farm show arena in harrisburg and all were open on this date and all within about a hour of original venue. I know the local heads where waiting to closer to time to buy thier tickets because thier living paycheck to paycheck. So if it was ticket sales this might explain this end of it. Here comes the bad rap part of it,When you commit to something you do it. Dont be afraid to see it through because in this case when you come back and try another attempt down the road dont expect much pre event sales locally. The market is not ny and philly so dont expect pre sales like those markets.
For myself i have tickets for other shows and hope all the heads of albany enjoy the gift they were given. For all the heads in central pa I will say IM SORRY THEY DIDNT MAKE IT.
TooLeeDoo
Junior Boarder

Re: Cancelling show bad rap for all.

#70793 2 years, 6 months ago
Truth is.. The venue is a little big for Furthur in that market.. I did the Obama rally there.. Wich was the first show bringing the the boys back together. And the only shows of the time wich forced dead heads to come to state college. Even though I believe it was successful.. It was 2/3 full.... I'm bummed because it changes the flow of tour.. But in my 23 years of selling shirts and touring contantly you get use to it... The dead have a long history and a large fan base in Albany .. I don't think upstaters fealed as if they got a gift.. I'm sure there Feeling is they got it right
alilfurther
Platinum Boarder

#70794 2 years, 6 months ago
I am sorry for the cancellation of the show but fully ELATED the are coming to my home town we get to parkl the van down there see all the peeps I am soooo happpy thank you further for not forgetting the old Knickerbocker we love you !!!!!!!!!!!!
Let It SHIIIINE !!!!!!!!!!
alilfurther
Platinum Boarder

#70795 2 years, 6 months ago
If you have a min Phil Bobby hey why not the whole band we will be right near the shakedown come and sign the van this timer . this is the van from your going down the road video you posted made by Bill Krutszman son april 2009 .... see you soon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let It SHIIIINE !!!!!!!!!!
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by alilfurther.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#70797 2 years, 6 months ago
while its great albany got a show thats not the point they just cancelledthe PA show no reason given people made plans.PA is not a rich state people tend to live check to check and just changing the show to albany just shut people out of going cuz its at least 4 tanks of gas 5-8 hour ride each way, not doable if you have to work the next day,they should at a minimum give a reason why and should have given PA heads another show.Seems bobby has no problem cancelling shows and pissing off the fans that buy the tickets.and spare the speech ,be thankful they are even touring blah blah .......
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
The following user(s) said Thank You: stricken
Big Ralph
Junior Boarder

#70798 2 years, 6 months ago
Tuesday night,near Thanksgiving,these kids and parents spending serious money for an education......who knows,maybe lean fanbase........
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

#70804 2 years, 6 months ago
is there ever anything in the Dead universe that doesn't simultaneously conjure such vehement disgust and excessive joy?! I love the dichotomy that is all things Dead...
gr8fuljen
Expert Boarder

#70810 2 years, 6 months ago
A quick history lesson. The Grateful Dead with JERRY GARCIA played Rec Hall at Penn State in 79 & 80. It holds about 5k. Rec hall is still standing (the famous Lion sits in front of it ) ..its an old building/gynasium but if it was good enough for Jerry I think this should have been checked out. Bottom line a Tuesday night in State College (middle of nowhere Pennslyvania) at a 16k capacity facility is insanity. The way I understand it is the band gets X amount of $ per show from the promoter no matter how many tix are sold. The promoter also has to pay x amount of dollars to rent the facility and market the show. There is no way this show (from a business standpoint) could ever come close to breaking even for the promoter. Someone got in over their head. Doesn't help the dissapointed at all but I believe this is the reality of the situation WITS
The following user(s) said Thank You: stricken, Dire Wolf
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

#70812 2 years, 6 months ago
No one on this board, including myself, understands the logistics involved in planning and executing a tour of this scope. Granted, I would be pissed if I had tickets to a show that got canceled (it's happened to me with other artists.) But the fact remains they were able to reschedule someplace else, which was probably not an easy task to accomplish at this late date. Something many people forget is that many venues don't want a band like Furthur playing there because of the carnival-like atmosphere that follows the band around. So finding another place to accommodate them a month before the show was probably difficult at best. I'm sure local authorities need to do a lot of planning to handle a crowd of this size. As far as people thinking it had anything to do with greed, Phil and Bobby could do this entire tour for free and it wouldn't put a dent in their bank accounts. Those guys are definitely not in this for the money. That being said:
sucks10.gif
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by ShakedownSteve.
The following user(s) said Thank You: otherone78, Dire Wolf, kevin
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

#70816 2 years, 6 months ago
One more thing...nevermind. Someone else will say it.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by ShakedownSteve.
Time to create page: 1.21 seconds