• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
MsJimp
Expert Boarder
I take pictures

Re: Taking the children to see Furthur

#71072 2 years, 6 months ago
Took the Jimpette to a concert when she was 12. It was a non GD related event (christian rock band from australia) and she did well. She wore earplugs due to her own choosing and she asked to leave before it was over because she was tired. She had a blast and still talks about it to this day. When she was a baby there were some concerts that I took her to but they were Arlo Guthrie, Ritchie Havens,David Grisman and things like that. Toddler years to 11 I avoided taking her to rock concerts alltogether for the simple fact that I know her personality and temperment and understood that she would not function as well as she would need to in that environment. I would not say that bringing kids is completely off the board , just know that all kids do not do well in all environments. At age 7 I started taking her to the symphony and she LOVES that. By age 9 she gained a taste for opera and she does fine with this too. Her latest thing is chamber music quartets and that same band from Oz. She still enjoys listening to folk music however I do not think a furthur show is in her future as she seems to have no desire to go whatsoever.
Please tell Governor Christie of NJ to open the records
gr8fuljen
Expert Boarder

#71142 2 years, 6 months ago
Hey bro I feel the same way. The crowd that worries about kids messing with their buzz bothers me as well. I go to chucky cheese stoned. They must be lightweights.

First off there is no "right" or "wrong" answer here. People have opinions- it is ultumately the parents right to make whatever decision they want. Its not kids messing with my buzz- its the fact I don't wanna fire one up with a 7 yr old kid sitting next to me and blowing smoke in his face. I've been to Chucky Cheese stoned when I was 25 or so. Now that I'm "older" 46 I have learned there is a time and place for everything. In hindsight, being stoned at Chucky Cheese is about as "appropriate" as a 7yr old attending an indoor or large furthur show. As far as lightweights LOL... I am always the last man standing (since 1980). Finally, I must have done something right as my son is a deans list student at West Virginia University and my daughter is number 1 in her class of 870 as a high school junior ( as well as the national champ ballet dancer for her age group) in a very elite program-- 2 of last years graduates were recruited and are now rockettes & several others are now performing with national ballet companies---- (ok I'm a proud dad sorry)& if you've read the whole thread they both attended 2 outdoor ratdog shows at the outdoor family friendly "Jam on the River". my 04 cents WITS
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#71144 2 years, 6 months ago
gr8fuljen wrote:
Finally, I must have done something right as my son is a deans list student at West Virginia University and my daughter is number 1 in her class of 870 as a high school junior ( as well as the national champ ballet dancer for her age group) in a very elite program-- 2 of last years graduates were recruited and are now rockettes & several others are now performing with national ballet companies---- (ok I'm a proud dad sorry)& if you've read the whole thread they both attended 2 outdoor ratdog shows at the outdoor family friendly "Jam on the River". my 04 cents WITS

Don't apologize, I love hearing the parents around here brag on their kids!! Gives me hope for humanity!
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#71149 2 years, 6 months ago
deadontherivet wrote:
funky420 wrote:
I've been to many shows and am well aware of what happens at these event's. My boys (10 & 8 ) have been bugging me for some time to go to a Furthur show knowing that I go to as many as possible. So I am taking them to their first two shows in CHI, and Madison, they are exremely excited and can't wait. I will have ear plugs for them and being inside I wont need a blanket. My kids are rockstars and party as such (without the pary favors of course, unless you count caffine, lots and lots of CAFFINE!) We enjoyed a few local festivals this summer with multiple days of music and they did just fine they are extremely into music (because I am and they want to be like dad), my oldest plays guitar (as many of you have seen on previous threads) and can't get enough musical influence. I say IMO that all you haters out there who say kids shouldn't be at shows are being plain selfish thinking these show are for you only. They make the shows all ages for a reason, because all are welcome. So to sum up I'm bringing my kids if you don't like it you can F.O. I will not say anything to people smoking around us or having their time also we have four tickets so its not like we're trying to sqeeze our kids into two seats(which I saw at RCMH).

Hey bro I feel the same way. The crowd that worries about kids messing with their buzz bothers me as well. I go to chucky cheese stoned. They must be lightweights.

You both seem like level headed parents and you know what to expect. For me the buzzkill is at all day feastivals like gathering of the vibes. Seemed like most of the people were not there to see furthur. And crazy amounts of kids. Its at those events I don't like smoking in the crowd (but there are plenty of nooks and crannies and I know it's my hangup).
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
alilfurther
Platinum Boarder

#71160 2 years, 6 months ago
I always say you know the deal , I would if I had little ones bring them but would steer of crowding that would put them in harms way a nice mellow spot on the lawn of an out door show is always the best inside you never know what to expect safety first and dont point fingers or give disapproving looks to anyone to blow their time .....
Let It SHIIIINE !!!!!!!!!!
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder

#71501 2 years, 6 months ago
[quote="Irrenarzt" post=70875]What did you see at Red Rocks? Just curious.

I saw the Boulder crew had a couple kids with them for the Sunday show and the kids were having a blast. This young boy was weaving in and out of the adults picking up all the glow sticks he could find, and this young girl was on her fathers shoulders having what appeared to be the time of her life.

I don't have kids but it did seem like these kids were having a fun time.[/quote

Our (Boulder) crew has no kids.
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by strangerinboulder.
zack
Junior Boarder

#71625 2 years, 6 months ago
Iriecycle
Expert Boarder
AND LEAVE IT ON!!!!

#74308 2 years, 6 months ago
Funny to read about one's children in print. Especially as possibly disturbing any vibes, try as best you can, I suppose it's inevitable. I wanted to join some friends down front, where my wife and I were able to be the previous two nights, for the opener and a few at second set. What a privilege. A fine show like that shared with my two eldest, front and center (well, right.) That's right, the third, was up top with Mama and blanket under/ aside a beautiful, and friendly Fir, fully anti-politically correct all round. (Listening to some ripping 3-16-'94, seriously) SO; what's missing from Furthur, other than Jerry? The old school vibe with the crowd "1 in ten thousand that come for the show." "dosed by mistake . . ," really? Fortunately, I saw some old comrades known and met a freshly. Missing most of the GD elders, and yearning for the scene of yore, ites a plenty, a cleaner scene, before crack, before Heroine was abundant. When will people wake-up about governments use of bad drugs to dumb down all the good scenes?
Wifey and I had a blast the first two nights. Straight up first to a second to go home with to the annals. SO good that on our way out of town we'd come check the scene. Good conversation and scene at the car, go scout w/ finger up, tickets manifest and in we go, though three tunes late, we're totally thankful, and climbing the stairway. . .
So the kids, my children, our children, were quite tight by my side. My son did gather a few glow sticks as the lights were on as we were working our way towards some of our crew. From viewers top left to btm. right. When we pass through the crowd we try not to bump anyone, right. Well, my children are mostly impressing me in the essential regard of respecting others. My eldest was atop a friends shoulders for a few minuets of one of the rocking tunes there-in, perhaps NPC. The sound is fortunately so good with the boys that I was confident in that regard, entitling my children to a certain level of self-determination, asking of their comfort.
Anyhow, certainly hope no body under age gets accidentally dosed. Jollifications can see a certain benefit to "accidental," dosing in particular cases of excessively tight sphincters. Testimony verifies the positive affects of education as well as illumination, therefore breathe deeply in the now always.
Thank you all, Red Rocks was all good, though the parking lot scene a little too tight. At least there was no nitrous.
I Am You, As You Are Me, As We Are One, and We Are All Together.
volare
Senior Boarder

#74351 2 years, 6 months ago
the one thing I was curious about when I saw the kids at the shows was whether they parents had to buy full priced tickets for them? there was one little girl at the Greek who was asleep on her father's shoulder, thumb in mouth, for most of the show....$60 seems pricey for that experience...
The Sailor, coming out again, the lady fairly leapt at him.
That's how it stands today. You decide if he was wise.
bluetrainsugaree
Expert Boarder

#74384 2 years, 6 months ago
We had a babysitter for the Friday and Saturday shows since they are late and the children get too tired to stay up. We like to enjoy the music and experience, have a good time without worrying about their needs too much. On our way out of town the 3rd day of Red Rocks, we thought we would take the kids to 'shakedown' and they had a blast in the lot. My daughter asked to go to the Sunday show and it was an early one. So we bought 3 tickets in the lot. My son said he didn't want to go, so I passed up buying a 4th for him, then of coarse he changed his mind. So with patience and miracles happening, we got the 3 kids in and they had a great time. They are pianists, they love the music, it was a good influence on their musical creativity. They end up singing GD verses around the house and singing along when there is a song on that they like. They went to the last night of the Furthur show in Broomfield, it being an earlier show too. We had bought each of them a ticket for that one. I agree the outdoor shows are much better for kids. I will not be taking them to another indoor show anytime soon. It was our kids that those in this forum have mentioned, the girl on the shoulders and boy picking up glow sticks. They were only down close to the front for a few songs of the 2nd set. Then they retreated to the kid friendly area by the pine. No need to worry ya'll, they should not have killed your buzz, they were minding their own business not yours. It sure is nice to connect with those DeadHeads with their children as they are always ROOTS! And if you're not Roots, then maybe you're not family, you choose Brothers and Sisters.
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by bluetrainsugaree.
Time to create page: 0.56 seconds