• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
deadontherivet
Expert Boarder

Re: Taking the children to see Furthur

#70941 2 years, 9 months ago
As I've said before if you are a good parent bring your kids to shows I personally get a kick out of seeing all the happy smiling kids. I really don't see anything worse at shows than I see at my kids little league games. Every week there are going to be drunk adults. Lots of swearing, and even the occasional skirmish. I also see other parents let their younger children run amuck. They are covered in dirt,and bruises, but I guess that is part of being a kid
I wish I was the headlight on a northbound train.
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#70956 2 years, 9 months ago
a good parent could take care of their child in a fukin war zone. dosnt mean a good parent would bring their kid to a war zone on purpose.
im not comparing concerts to war zones, its an just to make a point.
i have a friend who brought her infant son to furthur at monterey and left because people were drunk and bumbing into her and her son, and asking them for miracles etc. its like uhhh, have you ever been to a show before? thats like typical.
im not saying you cant go toa show with your kid and keep them safe, some poeple live in their RVs, or buses, and they have no choice, but most would prefer to leave the kids with a responcible person, and go to the show solo, and rage and not worry about the 4 year old gettin dosed. that said, i have known people who want their kids to experience the scene b4 its gone etc etc etc, i think thats more a head trip for the parent, the kid would have more fun at chucky cheese, or a zoo.
i dont have kids. i like kids. sometimes i feel alll warm inside when i see kids at shows, like that 9-10 year old dude that was rockin terrrapin station on the 'lectric guitar in the lot at shoreline, that touched my black ass heart, but when im on the lawn and im trippin ballls and i fire up a bowl and some parents ask me to move cause they decided to bring their newborn? thats a bummer. its like, uhh what im doin(smoking a bowl) is kinda more acceptable here(at a show) than bringing an infant. but i stumble my tripping ass away while the ubber stylie mom talks shit about hippies. its like uhh, this is a furthur/dead/ratdog/whatever show, what the fuck did you xpect.
in short...GET A BABYSITTER, AND LEAVE YOUR KIDS AT HOME, or risk them getting dosed by accident.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 23atwell, katie mae
gr8fuljen
Expert Boarder

#70964 2 years, 9 months ago
Irrenarzt wrote:
We must have been really close to you Jen. We were 10th row riding the rope, just to the right (if looking down towards the stage) of the soundboard, where the VIP people and the video cameras were.

I didn't see the kids once it got dark, other than the boy collecting the glow sticks. But luckily they were down far enough to not block my view when the girl was on the Dad's shoulders.

We noticed how messy it was all three nights at the end of the show. Saturday was the worst as we were jam packed full of the Boulder crew who had about 20 people in a spot for 10. Luckily, I got to dance with the ultrahot Lori that night so the crowding didn't bother me. It did bother some of the people I was with however. Yeah I wouldn't want my kids trolling around in that mess. It was pretty nasty. You should have seen the blanket we used to mark out our territory. That was just plain disgusting. I would have left it if it were mine...

First this is WITS.... and we were 9th row the third night I believe just to the right of the sounboard. We were with what you refer to as "the boulder" crew.....lead by the king of Lidsville-- the omnipotent Stranger in Boulder on here. I remember meeting Lori too ... we were right in that area all 3 nights thanks to SIB. That boulder crew rox.. fine folks... allready um sailing one of my favorite memories of night 3 is during Sampson someone tapping me on the shoulder and handin me a big old tasty chocalate wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee............... irr if you missed it Jen put up a thread with our pics you can see where we were sitting... and see if you recognize us or SIB.

Back to the subject MY thoughts I put in a similar thread a few weeks ago. I took my kids to see Ratdog twice at the Jam on the River in Philly.... but that is like an all day family event with a childrens area, face painting.... me personally I would never take my kids to an indoor venue or large furthur show ( well I would now my sons 19 and is lukewarm on dead related stuff--- in his "defense" about 6 months ago he told me he was going to see this band Slightly Stupid and lo and behold Bobby ends up jamming with them). I related this in that other thread but I will here too. I still have seared into my brain this image of this "lady" at Foxboro in 89 pushing a stroller through a rock strewn lot in 90 plus heat and this 3 or 4 month olds head bouncin all over the place. Second, at the Dead 09 night 2 in Philly we were seats 3 & 4. About 5 minutes before showtime this "father" and his 7 or 8 year old son plop down next to us..he sits on the aisle and the kid is next to me. I um was doing what I do... then the band came on and I really didn't want to light up next to this kid...but by the 4th song everyone around us allready had so I turned my back and inhaled. The WORST part was this guy dissapeared at set break for 30 minutes and I was left to hold a conversation & entertain a 7 yr old under "challenging" conditions. It definately affected my enjoyment of set 1 which sucked cause it was killer. I personally don't think a show "for adults" indoors where the vast majority of the attendees are flying high again is anywhere a kid should be. My 2 cents.
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by gr8fuljen.
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#70970 2 years, 9 months ago
gr8fuljen wrote:
Irrenarzt wrote:
We must have been really close to you Jen. We were 10th row riding the rope, just to the right (if looking down towards the stage) of the soundboard, where the VIP people and the video cameras were.

I didn't see the kids once it got dark, other than the boy collecting the glow sticks. But luckily they were down far enough to not block my view when the girl was on the Dad's shoulders.

We noticed how messy it was all three nights at the end of the show. Saturday was the worst as we were jam packed full of the Boulder crew who had about 20 people in a spot for 10. Luckily, I got to dance with the ultrahot Lori that night so the crowding didn't bother me. It did bother some of the people I was with however. Yeah I wouldn't want my kids trolling around in that mess. It was pretty nasty. You should have seen the blanket we used to mark out our territory. That was just plain disgusting. I would have left it if it were mine...

First this is WITS.... and we were 9th row the third night I believe just to the right of the sounboard. We were with what you refer to as "the boulder" crew.....lead by the king of Lidsville-- the omnipotent Stranger in Boulder on here. I remember meeting Lori too ... we were right in that area all 3 nights thanks to SIB. That boulder crew rox.. fine folks... allready um sailing one of my favorite memories of night 3 is during Sampson someone tapping me on the shoulder and handin me a big old tasty chocalate wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee............... irr if you missed it Jen put up a thread with our pics you can see where we were sitting... and see if you recognize us or SIB.

Back to the subject MY thoughts I put in a similar thread a few weeks ago. I took my kids to see Ratdog twice at the Jam on the River in Philly.... but that is like an all day family event with a childrens area, face painting.... me personally I would never take my kids to an indoor venue or large furthur show ( well I would now my sons 19 and is lukewarm on dead related stuff--- in his "defense" about 6 months ago he told me he was going to see this band Slightly Stupid and lo and behold Bobby ends up jamming with them). I related this i that other thread but I will here too. I still have searedinto my brain this image of this "lady" at Foxboro in 89 pushing a stroller through a rock strewn lot in 90 plus heat and this 3 or 4 month olds head bouncin all over the place. Second, at the Dead 09 night 2 in Philly we were seats 3 & 4. About 5 minutes before showtime this "father" and his 7 or 8 year old son plop down next to us..he sits on the aisle and the kid is next to me. I um was doing what I do... then the band came on and I really didn't want to light up next to this kid...but by the 4th song everyone around us allready had so I turned my back and inhaled. The WORST part was this guy dissapeared at set break for 30 minutes and I was left to hold a conversation & entertain a 7 yr old under "challenging" conditions. It definately affected my enjoyment of set 1 which sucked cause it was killer. I personally don't think a show "for adults" indoors where the vast majority of the attendees are flying high again is anywhere a kid should be. My 2 cents.

Totally agree on the inside vs outside. What I have seen over the years has always shocked me. Now since I am a parent I get very irate. This chick at SPAC this year had 2 kids under 5 and one in her belly just running wild through the lawn for 3 hours. Throwing glow sticks and rolling into people. More than once I saw the kids get burned by running into cigs or joints. When I have brought my 2, I kept them completely under wraps within a small area. There was no running around like crazy. And have never brought my 2 to an indoor show.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Bugaboo1
Junior Boarder

#70975 2 years, 9 months ago
I have a 3 year old. He as seen 10 furthur shows all of them outside. Aside from the occasional close smoker (tobacco and otherwise) he as had nothing but incredible experiences. Listening to him sing Mountain song around the house a week after Red Rocks warms the soul. Last year at Calavares Phil went out of his way to meet him. This scene is about family and it always as been. We as a community have to welcome and value children. They are our future.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wngfan, funky420, scar1et_f1re, bluetrainsugaree
katie mae
Junior Boarder

#71001 2 years, 9 months ago
illuminaughty wrote:
a good parent could take care of their child in a fukin war zone. dosnt mean a good parent would bring their kid to a war zone on purpose.
im not comparing concerts to war zones, its an just to make a point.
i have a friend who brought her infant son to furthur at monterey and left because people were drunk and bumbing into her and her son, and asking them for miracles etc. its like uhhh, have you ever been to a show before? thats like typical.
im not saying you cant go toa show with your kid and keep them safe, some poeple live in their RVs, or buses, and they have no choice, but most would prefer to leave the kids with a responcible person, and go to the show solo, and rage and not worry about the 4 year old gettin dosed. that said, i have known people who want their kids to experience the scene b4 its gone etc etc etc, i think thats more a head trip for the parent, the kid would have more fun at chucky cheese, or a zoo.
i dont have kids. i like kids. sometimes i feel alll warm inside when i see kids at shows, like that 9-10 year old dude that was rockin terrrapin station on the 'lectric guitar in the lot at shoreline, that touched my black ass heart, but when im on the lawn and im trippin ballls and i fire up a bowl and some parents ask me to move cause they decided to bring their newborn? thats a bummer. its like, uhh what im doin(smoking a bowl) is kinda more acceptable here(at a show) than bringing an infant. but i stumble my tripping ass away while the ubber stylie mom talks shit about hippies. its like uhh, this is a furthur/dead/ratdog/whatever show, what the fuck did you xpect.
in short...GET A BABYSITTER, AND LEAVE YOUR KIDS AT HOME, or risk them getting dosed by accident.

Totally agree with your entire post, but the bolded part is right on the money. People who go on about their kids being at shows, usually it's more about the parent's trip than the kid's because most kids would choose Chucky Cheese or Disneyland over a Furthur Show any day of the week.

Bugaboo1 wrote:
I have a 3 year old. He as seen 10 furthur shows all of them outside. Aside from the occasional close smoker (tobacco and otherwise) he as had nothing but incredible experiences. Listening to him sing Mountain song around the house a week after Red Rocks warms the soul. Last year at Calavares Phil went out of his way to meet him. This scene is about family and it always as been. We as a community have to welcome and value children. They are our future.

Bugaboo, no disrespect but your 3 year old was taken to 10 shows, it's not like a 3 year old can make a decision to go to a show or not. Sounds like it's more about you than him. As for the "we're family" mantra, sorry but I'm tired of people using that line to do whatever they want to, regardless of the effects on others. It's your family and your child, and other people shouldn't have to watch out for him at a show, or move their seats or alter their usual show behavior/actions because someone decides not to spring for a babysitter.
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by katie mae.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#71018 2 years, 9 months ago
I couldn't believe the amount of children in Monterey. Newborns to 3 year olds everywhere. As long as your sober and being a smart parent then just bring them and have a good time. Coming to this forum for advice your going to always have yes and no. You've been to these shows, you see what goes on. One day when my kid is about 3 or 4 I think I will bring her. I trust myself. As long as my wife is there too.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

#71020 2 years, 9 months ago
I've been to many shows and am well aware of what happens at these event's. My boys (10 & 8 ) have been bugging me for some time to go to a Furthur show knowing that I go to as many as possible. So I am taking them to their first two shows in CHI, and Madison, they are exremely excited and can't wait. I will have ear plugs for them and being inside I wont need a blanket. My kids are rockstars and party as such (without the pary favors of course, unless you count caffine, lots and lots of CAFFINE!) We enjoyed a few local festivals this summer with multiple days of music and they did just fine they are extremely into music (because I am and they want to be like dad), my oldest plays guitar (as many of you have seen on previous threads) and can't get enough musical influence. I say IMO that all you haters out there who say kids shouldn't be at shows are being plain selfish thinking these show are for you only. They make the shows all ages for a reason, because all are welcome. So to sum up I'm bringing my kids if you don't like it you can F.O. I will not say anything to people smoking around us or having their time also we have four tickets so its not like we're trying to sqeeze our kids into two seats(which I saw at RCMH).
The voices tell me what to say
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by funky420.
The following user(s) said Thank You: deadontherivet, bluetrainsugaree, Bugaboo1
deadontherivet
Expert Boarder

#71032 2 years, 9 months ago
funky420 wrote:
I've been to many shows and am well aware of what happens at these event's. My boys (10 & 8 ) have been bugging me for some time to go to a Furthur show knowing that I go to as many as possible. So I am taking them to their first two shows in CHI, and Madison, they are exremely excited and can't wait. I will have ear plugs for them and being inside I wont need a blanket. My kids are rockstars and party as such (without the pary favors of course, unless you count caffine, lots and lots of CAFFINE!) We enjoyed a few local festivals this summer with multiple days of music and they did just fine they are extremely into music (because I am and they want to be like dad), my oldest plays guitar (as many of you have seen on previous threads) and can't get enough musical influence. I say IMO that all you haters out there who say kids shouldn't be at shows are being plain selfish thinking these show are for you only. They make the shows all ages for a reason, because all are welcome. So to sum up I'm bringing my kids if you don't like it you can F.O. I will not say anything to people smoking around us or having their time also we have four tickets so its not like we're trying to sqeeze our kids into two seats(which I saw at RCMH).

Hey bro I feel the same way. The crowd that worries about kids messing with their buzz bothers me as well. I go to chucky cheese stoned. They must be lightweights.
I wish I was the headlight on a northbound train.
The following user(s) said Thank You: funky420, 23atwell
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

#71035 2 years, 9 months ago
deadontherivet wrote:
funky420 wrote:

Hey bro I feel the same way. The crowd that worries about kids messing with their buzz bothers me as well. I go to chucky cheese stoned. They must be lightweights.

I have had the few bday parties there, and if I wouldn't of been I don't know if I would have made it through!
The voices tell me what to say
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re, deadontherivet
Time to create page: 0.64 seconds