• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Genshu
Junior Boarder

Taking the children to see Furthur

#70764 3 years ago
I am always happy to see that. Makes me want to bring mine. Would love to hear how people work that out. We are a pretty straight laced family, it would be awfully late for them. Imagine I would just plan on settling somewhere when they fall asleep. My 8 year olds favorite song is the Wheel.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

Re: Taking the children to see Furthur

#70800 3 years ago
dig thru past postings this has been discussed in depth
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
gr8fuljen
Expert Boarder

#70830 3 years ago
I am against it.. even more so after what I saw at Red Rocks...but that is my opinion.. they are your kids... good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: katie mae
Irrenarzt
Junior Boarder

#70875 3 years ago
What did you see at Red Rocks? Just curious.

I saw the Boulder crew had a couple kids with them for the Sunday show and the kids were having a blast. This young boy was weaving in and out of the adults picking up all the glow sticks he could find, and this young girl was on her fathers shoulders having what appeared to be the time of her life.

I don't have kids but it did seem like these kids were having a fun time.
All You Need
katie mae
Junior Boarder

#70880 3 years ago
gr8fuljen wrote:
I am against it.. even more so after what I saw at Red Rocks...but that is my opinion.. they are your kids... good luck.

I've gotta agree with jen on this one. I saw ridiculous amounts of children - I am talking about everything from infants to kids about 5-6 years old without any type of ear plug/headphones on at all, not even on babies. It was so unreal that I feel like there should be people at the gates and if you have small kids and cannot show that you have proper gear with you - like headphones, a blanket for them to sleep on, etc., then they shouldn't allow you in. There are way too many irresponsible people with children this year at shows. I saw the same thing at California shows, actual infants without any headphones, or any ear protection. In fact, I saw exactly one mother/father with an infant/baby who had on tiny ear phones and I wanted to give them an award or something for being responsible, even though that should be the norm. There were also way too many parents with kids and they had not planned properly - no blankets or whatever it takes to make their kids comfy if and when they got bored, etc. One lady was mad that people were almost stepping on her kid so we gave her some glo sticks to put around the kid but come on, like you don't know what it's like at a show by now? Be prepared or please, get a baby sitter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gr8fuljen, illuminaughty
gr8fuljen
Expert Boarder

#70925 3 years ago
Irrenarzt wrote:
What did you see at Red Rocks? Just curious.

I saw the Boulder crew had a couple kids with them for the Sunday show and the kids were having a blast. This young boy was weaving in and out of the adults picking up all the glow sticks he could find, and this young girl was on her fathers shoulders having what appeared to be the time of her life.

I don't have kids but it did seem like these kids were having a fun time.

yes, I saw those kids, they were right in front of us.. but when it got dark, hard to see, like you said, they are darting in and out of the adults.. could easily get busted up.. not to mention all the party favors.. then the guy a couple rows behind us with the very small child that was very dirty..and I saw him tumble down two rows of those concrete rows...I freaked out.. I turned around and said who does this one belong too.. Dad didn't even get off his ass.. just said he's fine...I wanted kick him in the head...also, not that it bothered me, but I saw that it bothered someone else.. when you put your kids on your shoulders, you block the view of others behind you...again, just my opinion.. but when I saw that toddler tumble, my Mother bear hat went on and I was ready to rip someone a new ahole.. luckily WITS picked him up quickly before he tumbled any furthur.

Edit to add: did you see all the crap on the ground when the show was over?? Do want your kid on the ground playing in that sludge picking up glow sticks that have god knows what on it? spilled beer, pot needles, and a plethera of other nasty things... I personally would never let my kid play in that environment. but again, thats just me.
Last Edit: 3 years ago by gr8fuljen.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#70930 3 years ago
When I am at a show I feel uncomfortable smoking near the kids. That's the main reason I choose not to take my daughter to shows too much smoking / drugs etc. (plus she would be bored and be begging to leave before the show ends). But I see plenty of happy kids at shows which I think is great.

Parents not taking responsibility for their kids is messed up. If you listen to some earlier shows on archives you can hear them announcing from the stage begging parents to come take care of their crying kids. 8-27-72 comes to mind. We've already "blasted" people who don't take care of their pets to our liking. If you can't properly care for (and plan for) your child at a show he or she really should not be there. Just common sense and a little something called responsibility.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Irrenarzt
Junior Boarder

#70931 3 years ago
We must have been really close to you Jen. We were 10th row riding the rope, just to the right (if looking down towards the stage) of the soundboard, where the VIP people and the video cameras were.

I didn't see the kids once it got dark, other than the boy collecting the glow sticks. But luckily they were down far enough to not block my view when the girl was on the Dad's shoulders.

We noticed how messy it was all three nights at the end of the show. Saturday was the worst as we were jam packed full of the Boulder crew who had about 20 people in a spot for 10. Luckily, I got to dance with the ultrahot Lori that night so the crowding didn't bother me. It did bother some of the people I was with however. Yeah I wouldn't want my kids trolling around in that mess. It was pretty nasty. You should have seen the blanket we used to mark out our territory. That was just plain disgusting. I would have left it if it were mine...
All You Need
Last Edit: 3 years ago by Irrenarzt.
gr8fuljen
Expert Boarder

#70935 3 years ago
I think we were right next to you. We may have even been introduced.. we met alot of people. We were the honeymoon couple

Edit to add: Thank you to everyone in that row for having us.. Everyone we met was super kind and very friendly.
Last Edit: 3 years ago by gr8fuljen.
wngfan
Junior Boarder

#70940 3 years ago
I took my 8 year old and 4 year old daughters this past summer to see 7 Walkers, it was an outdoor show in the daylight and we only stayed for 4 songs. She was enjoying it, it was a fine experience, she had fun but got bored after a few songs plus it was a long day (Oregon Country Fair) so she was pretty beat. Honestly, it was distracting for me to deal with her climbing up me and wanting me to hold her so she could see etc.. so it limited my enjoyment. People were smoking ganja around us in all directions, but that didn't bother me and my daughter didn't say anything about that. There is also no alcohol served so there weren't those issues... however people were cursing though and that bothers me more and I think my daughter noticed that language. I don't think I would take her to a Furthur show because it would be too distracting for me and I want to make sure I can totally enjoy myself. Maybe a matinee at the end of a three day run like at Redrocks, but the standard 7:00 PM show time would be too close to their bedtimes and I wouldn't enjoy myself as much as I could.
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds