• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

What music did you like when you were young?

#70547 2 years, 11 months ago
It's ok to admit you were once a Backstreet Boys or Vanilla Ice fan, even though I never was
. I was a huge Beatlemaniac when I was a kid. I fell in love with The Beatles by listening to my brother's albums beginning when I was maybe 6 years old. He had those two big greatest hits sets. I never knew the name of them, I just called them the red one and the blue one. It's interesting to note that I got into their psychedelic stuff first (Lucy In The Sky has always been one of my favorite songs.) I begged my parents to take me to see the musical Beatlemania when I was 8, and that was the first year I attended Beatlefest in Chicago. John Lennon's murder the following year was the first time in my young life I ever had to deal with death. I learned about it from the newspaper the day after it happened. I'm surprised someone in my family hadn't told me about it earlier, but they were probably trying to shield me from the bad news. The next band I really got into was U2. The first concert I went to was U2 in 1985. I was in eighth grade, so it was a pretty big deal. I loved U2 until Achtung Baby came out. It wasn't long after that I started listening to the Dead.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by ShakedownSteve.
jbeach12078
Junior Boarder

Re: What music did you like when you were young?

#70548 2 years, 11 months ago
as a kid, i would listen to the clash, sex pistols, the blasters, robert gordon, & stray cats. in my teen years, i was a member of the kiss army...then i've seen the light....
GKB
Senior Boarder
'Seems like i been here before"

#70555 2 years, 11 months ago
when i was a younger man i listened to Pink Floyd, YES, Led Zeppelin, King Crimson and the like, as well as lots of Jazz,
Jean- Luc Ponty, Pat Metheny, Jeff Lorber Fusion, John McLaughlin, Al Demiola and the like.....took awhile for me to find the bus stop and get on the bus....and i will NEVER get off it now!!
"If you get confused just listen to the music play"
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#70579 2 years, 11 months ago
wasn't into music much until middle school when I hung out with the wrong crowd for a while listening to rap, was a huge Eminem fan especially.

I'm so Grateful that I finally saw the light myself, I got pretty heavy in Floyd in high school (still love them) and then I just started listening to all sorts of classic rock. I soon had more Grateful Dead then anything else in my collection which was kind of by coicidence cause I just burned a shit load of others peoples stuff onto my computer and I ended up with a ton of Dead. I liked it a lot but it wasn't until my first show - 8/20/08 Ratdog (opening for the Allmans) that I actually got on the bus and wished I was on a lot sooner ever since....
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#70620 2 years, 11 months ago
I loved rap all the way up til 10th grade. I went to my first show and it was jgb. My life changed and it was all gd and rock n roll. Thank god.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#70630 2 years, 11 months ago
My siblings were 10 and 12 years older than me, so I was hearing the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Woodstock and the other classics when they first came out. We lived in Rye, NY then and the I thought the Beatle's song was "Ticket to Rye", rather than "Ride".
I just kept listening to and finally inherited their albums as I moved into jr high and high school. Much better than the disco that was around at that time!
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#70634 2 years, 11 months ago
grew up listening to all the stuff my dad listened to...the dead, the stones, the beatles, doors then in middle school wasn't very interested in music only really sports then in 10th grade started playing guitar a little and listening to more blues and listening to more of the dead like getting more into the stuff that weren't the hits and 6/17/08 saw phil and friends and after that i was hooked for life
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder
The wheels are muddy, got a ton of hay

#70672 2 years, 11 months ago
Michael Jackson, Bon Jovi, The Police, Milli Vaniili, and The New Kids on the Block.
Give me a break I was born in 1978 !

When Brent Mydland was wailing songs like blow away and gimme some lovin and bobby was killin brother essau as the masterpiece it is....
I was stuck at a 7th grade dance figuring how to spit game to girls listening to this crapolla...

www.google.com/url?url=http://www.youtub...k2xdKkepEyUorFeM0w6w
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds