• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

Re: meeting heads

#70679 3 years ago
I meet a lot of people in my business. Not everyone who wears a dead shirt or a dye is actually a fan. They just bought a cool shirt. So I will stop and talk with them and use subliminal dead speak instead of asking if their heads. Ill say stuff like " can't wait to get home tonight, im going where the water tastes like wine." Or, "wow what a beautiful day today. Its a Sunshine Daydream". Always get some good laughs going like that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#70738 3 years ago
i hear that neverstop i say "how bout thatarchive?" "sure beats tapes"if they give me a blank look i know they aint heads
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
The_Aviator
Fresh Boarder

#70779 3 years ago
Brother Dust wrote:
I hope were not a dying breed, because it seems like now adays theres not to many around my way. Even in March when Furthur played Pittsburgh, the venue was only half full ( and it only holds about 3,500 ).

There are actually quite a few heads in the Pittsburgh area. I was personally out of town during that show and I have a lot of friends that weren't able to attend either. The numbers may be shrinking because of the time that has elapsed since the Dead were "big" but there are always some around, I can assure you.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#70799 3 years ago
i dont think were losing real heads,maybe its the casual "fans" maybe ya know touchheads frat boys party people looking to get high etc to that end i say GOOD RIDDENCE they were ruining the scene anyway
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
TooLeeDoo
Junior Boarder

#70818 3 years ago
Those people can't ruin the scene... It's not current fashion so if you experienced the mega-dead era.. Its never going to pull that kind of fans.. Mostly now what's left is the die hards.. And local to the show people... Dead heads are a dying breed.. Unless your were good at it and I hate to say Sucessful... It's hard to continue being a dead head.. Most new school dead heads let's say 35 and younger who if they saw Jerry they were to young to get enough of him to find the time to have success in the scene.. Without sucsess touring is imposable..

Sorry I got off topic.. Grateful Dead fans are everywhere .. However.. Dead heads and jerrys kidz are few and far between.. I talk to a guy very recent.. He told me he went to 13 Grateful Dead shows....when I told him about Furthur he was into it.. Then he asked why it was called further.. I said well you know About the merry pranksters and the bus... He said No.. I said how about Ken Kesey? He said he never herd of him.... Ok.... I'm sure he went to the 13 shows because we talked about the venues and the weather those days... So he is a fan.. But you could never be a dead head and not know about the pranksters or Ken Kesey or on the roAd or Cassidy!!!!!
Last Edit: 3 years ago by TooLeeDoo.
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

#70824 3 years ago
TooLeeDoo wrote:
Most new school dead heads let's say 35 and younger who if they saw Jerry they were to young to get enough of him to find the time to have success in the scene.. Without sucsess touring is imposable..

What exactly do you mean by this? Are you talking about selling shit in the lot? Not everyone who goes on tour does that.

TooLeeDoo wrote:
Dead heads are a dying breed..

I see a lot of young people at shows. They never saw Jerry, but they're still Deadheads to me. As long as people are playing this music there will be Deadheads.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
Last Edit: 3 years ago by ShakedownSteve.
The following user(s) said Thank You: doin_that_rag
bitzer87
Junior Boarder

#70826 3 years ago
Whenever I wear a dead shirt on campus and I'm going to a relatively small school. I usually get at least one person who will say nice shirt or you go to any furthur shows? So there are still young fans out there in their 20's and younger. Not in it for the "drug scene" but in it for the music.
TooLeeDoo
Junior Boarder

#70834 3 years ago
Hey shakedown steve.... Is your shakedown one that DOEST have things for sale... If it is.. It's way different then mine... It's all relative.. I'm not here to say your wrong.. I just have a different point of view.. To me.. A dead head is a person who tours contantly.. Not 10 shows a year.. That to me is a grateful dead fan... There is no shame in that.... I love Grateful Dead fans... You have to be a fan first.. Dead heads to me are people that to a fault persue the grateful dead on a perpetual basis... Month in month out.. Year in year out.. They participate in every tour.. East coast west coast south east north east.. And if you due that.. In my experience you end up curling the country twice a year... And I hate to break it to you... If you don't make money.. It's to costly to keep up...

We all start in very similar ways.. When the fun turns into an obsession then the obsession turns into a lifestyle.. You still need to buy gas.. You still need food.. You still pay a mortgage... Or rent... At some point you have to make money.. Now if you go to a handful of shows and rock out.. Then it's like vacation.. And a greAt one at that. You still go home and relaod for the next... However if you catch 14 shows a month... 6-8 months out of the year... You better be independLy wealthy or find something to sell.. Eitheray.. At that point.. Your a dead head.
TooLeeDoo
Junior Boarder

#70837 3 years ago
I take my kids to shows... This year they went to 8 shows with me... My kids are big dead fans... And I don't want them in the drug scene part of it... I'm there dad... They are grateful dead fans and love the music. But I didn't fly them with me out west.. I didn't take them to upper Darby, or the man center because I know the venues. And the areas there in.. However I went 25 years ago to those venues and I'm a dead head ... I consider it a life requirement for me... I don't exspect that for them. If they want to go... I want them there.. But not at a risk....

There are allot of young people discovering the dead.. And loving it...and getting the music.. What there isn't is alot of young people touring... I'm not saying some... But not like 20 years ago...
Last Edit: 3 years ago by TooLeeDoo.
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

#70846 3 years ago
To me being a Deadhead means you love the music of the Grateful Dead. The most shows I ever did on one tour was 7 in the summer of '94, and I didn't sell anything in the lot. That doesn't make me anything less of a Head than the guy who sold kind veggie burritos at every show that year. There are Deadheads who have never been to a show and there are people who have been to more shows than me who aren't Deadheads. Saying you have to go to x number of shows a year to consider yourself a Head is being more than a little "deader than thou."
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
Last Edit: 3 years ago by ShakedownSteve.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MushroomMan, kfender, bitzer87, nastero, DancingBear, doin_that_rag
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds