• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

Cool article about being a Deadhead at work

#69614 3 years ago
I know this has been a thread in the past, but I came across this article and I thought it was interesting. What do you think?

www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_19057900?source=rss
Without love day to day insanity's king
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

Re: Cool article about being a Deadhead at work

#69618 3 years ago
There's still quite a bit of stigmatism connected with the band, you bring up their name, and a lot of people still associate it as drug music.
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

#69620 3 years ago
That's so true. That's why I don't have any stickers on my car and I don't tell people I work with anything about my personal life. I don't work in the corporate world but the company I work for is extremely anti-drug. Btw, I very rarely use drugs (mainly just at shows) so maybe I'm a little paranoid. Better safe than sorry.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
Last Edit: 3 years ago by ShakedownSteve.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#69626 3 years ago
I also try to keep it low key at my office. Also no bumper stickers on my car (permanently) nor will I get the vanity plate I really want "Furthur". That's more to avoid being stopped by the police. Better safe than sorry for me. But my co-workers know I enjoy the music, they just don't know how fanatical I am.

When I wear a suit & tie for work it's almost always a Grateful Dead or Garcia tie. I also wear the watch Jerry designed at work, but you can't really tell it's from Jerry.

The only deadlike thing I wear 24 /7 is a simple string bracelet my niece made me.

I feel like a wolf in a sheeps outfit - as they say in the article <Bleep> em if they can't take a joke.

----

My first job they all knew I was a big time deadhead. The band played about 10 shows in a row at MSG and every weekday night at 5PM I would go into the bathroom in my suit and like superman come out in ripped jeans and tie dyes. My buddies from back then still make fun of me (in a lighthearted kind way).
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

#69627 3 years ago
scar1et_f1re wrote:
Also no bumper stickers on my car (permanently) nor will I get the vanity plate I really want "Furthur". That's more to avoid being stopped by the police.

I think vanity plates are pretty safe. You have to be a Deadhead to understand most vanity plates. It's not like having a stealie sticker. I suspect that Furthur plate has already been taken by now, especially if you live in New York.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
Last Edit: 3 years ago by ShakedownSteve.
ratdogdonna
Junior Boarder

#69655 3 years ago
I work for some pretty cool people. I have a big silver SYF bracelet that I wear to work - I never take it off. I also have some pics of Furthur in my office and can play whatever I want. No BS about where I'm going when I take off for a concert, it's just "I'm going to a show." Life is good..................
Let there be songs to fill the air <3
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#69659 3 years ago
Kind of funny. I work for the company that published that article and I keep the fact that I'm a deadhead pretty much under my rasta-style. sherpa hat.

I did test the envelope yesterday by wearing a Furthur T-shirt under my funky guatamalan shirt.

Now it's Friday afternoon and I'm logging time before I leave by listening to GD Radio (8.28.88) onmy headphones and surfing this board.
Last Edit: 3 years ago by Terrapin Sedation.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#69667 3 years ago
Terrapin Sedation wrote:
Kind of funny. I work for the company that published that article and I keep the fact that I'm a deadhead pretty much under my rasta-style. sherpa hat.

I did test the envelope yesterday by wearing a Furthur T-shirt under my funky guatamalan shirt.

Now it's Friday afternoon and I'm logging time before I leave by listening to GD Radio (8.28.88) onmy headphones and surfing this board.

Now that is the very definition of irony. Very funny.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Blue42
Junior Boarder

#69761 3 years ago
I have a SYF sticker on my vehicle. When I get to the BP I wear a Dead shirt and and shorts until time to get dressed. People get a kick out of it. It is who I am. Doesn't affect what I do.
Roll Away The Dew
wngfan
Junior Boarder

#69768 3 years ago
I have a professional job, most of my dead/furthur friends are professionals.. we are everywhere.

My colleagues know I love the Grateful Dead. When I made plans to go to NYC last Nov to see furthur at MSG (With a Doctor friend from FL), my manager hooked me up with a free room at the Westin near times square because he thought it was cool that I would get on a plane and go cross country to see this band.

Whats the big deal, or "stigma"? I dont get it. It isn't 1975 or even 1990. Grateful Dead/Furthur are like oldies.. like my dad listening to buddy holly and elvis when I was a kid (note, I am in my early 40's). I don;t think there is the stigma there used to be
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds