• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

Re: Is it possible to outgrow the Dead?

#69136 2 years, 11 months ago
I don't know if your feelings have anything to do with this, but for me, In times of severe stress I tend to listen to the gd music more. At one point I was so stressed I would need to put on my ipod to go to the supermarket. I would read hunters lyrics when I could. I THINK I was using the music to hide from some issues I did not care to face. But some songs used to make me very angry. For example, when my friend was very sick "he's gone" would make me so mad.

By nature I will ignore a problem and hope it goes away rather then confront my evils. A repressive personality. So I keep a lot of stuff inside, and eventually after years there's just so much you can take and you start to unwind a bit and let it out. If you are not careful, your anger can become misdirected toward the wrong people.

Lately I've been having serious relationship issues with my wife, and comes a time and Black throated wind also sometimes make me angry. They remind me of shitty things in my life I do not like. But I am obsessed with the music, I actually made a flashdrive full of all the songs that put me in a "dark place", looks like rain, simple twist of fate, forever young (dylans verson) about 30 songs and I would force myself to listen and sometimes I would even cry.. I did add a Going down the road so I could scream "don't want to be treated this a way". To me it was my way of facing my demons. And it worked. you have to walk through hell to get to heaven. I faced my demons, worked through my issues and while it was painful as hell I had to do it and I am glad I did. I never could have done it without the music.

Slowly I worked out of my funk - for the most part, but I am still addicted to the music and now I am fascinated by how deep some of the lyrics are. So I am on my own quest to understand the songs. Looking for lyrics I have heard for years but never really "heard". So I listen more now than ever (plus I just got gd channel in March which is addicting).

But I have gone streatches without listening to the dead so much. I think was trying to expand what music I listened to.

Some songs just sort of annoy me, bombs away, casey jones and truckin are 3 of these. I was surprised that last night on the gd channel they played Scarlet Begonias right after the daily (taped) live show. I think they've been playing Scarlet every night after the live show, and while it's one of my favorite songs, I was tired of it so I said to myself it's time to find Dylans station. That surprised me - but I still love the song.

I don't know if you have any similar issues, but just writing this has helped me a bit...so thank you. And good luck. If you are a fan why worry if you are not in the mood to hear some songs now. Take it all in stride...... One day at a time.

If you love something set it free, if it comes back to you it is yours, if it does not, it never was
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#69159 2 years, 11 months ago
i have went through periods of not listening to any dead or seeing any dead shows.
when it stops being fun, dont do it any more.
dont see it as a end, but a begining to new musical explorations.
you know you will always have the memories, and one day, you may even find yourself rumaging through an old box looking for that (fill in with fav. show) bootleg. the scene has changed so much, not just the dead scene but the whole world, music is not what it was in 95.
take a break.
listen to and go see new stuff, and by new i dont mean like they just got signed, though they may have, new to you, you know, its like discovering a new author you like, or new fav. food.
i would suggest to stay away from the whole "jamband" genre as its more of a fad.
jazz and blues and bluegrass and soul and motown and fukn prince (early stuff) and misfits(again early stuff) devil makes three, etc. etc. its all good.
i have been through "out growing the dead" about 4 times.
i may be entering a period myself, thats why i want ratdog back. they had their own sound. it wanst like goin to GD show, it was like going to ratdog show. i dug that.
deadheadnj
Junior Boarder

#69228 2 years, 11 months ago
SunshineSue wrote:
I can see why it bothers you, but I think sometimes tastes just change. I have just the opposite worry. I tend to only listen to the Dead and all the same music I've been listening to for years. So I have to force myself to listen to new music whenever I can, so at least I sort of know the Grammy nominees. Having Sirius in the car makes it worse- too easy to listen to only the Dead channel!

I agree with that...having Sirius offers so many channels but all I listen to is the Dead Channel....I was so excited that they played the Furthur show from Vegas and now I can't wait for MSG, AC and Wilkes Barre...
What would be the answer to answer man
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#69234 2 years, 11 months ago
deadheadnj wrote:
SunshineSue wrote:
I can see why it bothers you, but I think sometimes tastes just change. I have just the opposite worry. I tend to only listen to the Dead and all the same music I've been listening to for years. So I have to force myself to listen to new music whenever I can, so at least I sort of know the Grammy nominees. Having Sirius in the car makes it worse- too easy to listen to only the Dead channel!

I agree with that...having Sirius offers so many channels but all I listen to is the Dead Channel....I was so excited that they played the Furthur show from Vegas and now I can't wait for MSG, AC and Wilkes Barre...

Hey Jerry (dhnj), recognize this guy? Looks a bit like you Weir-ed ain't it?

JerryRoach.jpg
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by scar1et_f1re.
The following user(s) said Thank You: deadheadnj
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds