• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
katie mae
Junior Boarder

Re: Is it possible to outgrow the Dead?

#68977 2 years, 6 months ago
83msg1sttyme wrote:
after jerry died i stopped listening for a long time before that i listened to them most of the time i listened to other stuff but they were my go to after getting into furthur they rekindled my love affair with the DEAD as well .the beauty of music is theres so much out there give something else a listen for a bit we wont revoke your GD card if ya stray ,no rule that says all you can listen to is the dead

Good point 83. MWood, the other night I was looking through some of Jerry's Pizza tapes, and in them there's a convo where he references some old timey musician. Sometimes when I get burned out on the GD, I'll go check out the almost never ending supply of foundational/reference music that they drew from. Jerry in particular, drew from such a rich well of Americana blues, jazz, bluegrass, roots, etc., not to mention other ethnic influences. Look at the Renaissance vibe of parts of Terrapin. Maybe you could take a side trip down a few of those alleys and see if anything there peaks your fancy. Or just make yourself listen to an entire Britney Spears album and you'll be back in no time!
WGJORDAN3
Junior Boarder

#69016 2 years, 6 months ago
Alls I can say, is that I never will.
"TAKE MY ADVICE, YOU'D BE BETTER OFF DEAD."
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#69037 2 years, 6 months ago
MWoods wrote:
I have a problem. Many, actually, but it's the musical problem that I am looking for thoughts/opinion on.

In the past year (since the MSG run in November to be exact) I find myself listening to less and less Grateful Dead. Lately, even when I do put on some GD or I am in a car/boat/etc with someone who is playing some Dead, I find myself actively not liking it. The music makes me..... angry. This really disturbs me in some ways.

This music was such a HUGE part of my identity for so long, and it's like the magic has faded for me.

Has this happened to you with the Dead (or any other band you used to love) before? If so did the magic come back? Or are my days of identifying as a "head" over?

What do you mean by 'angry?"

The music was, is and hopefully will always be a part of my life since I just like music in general. What actually made me angry was the way the scene changed in the late 80's with throngs of ticketless wannabees just going to the scene looking to score some dope and could give 2 shits about the music. That being said, I would not give it too much of a concern. Like 83msg said, after the Jer Bear died I did not go to any shows for a bunch of years. Things replaced it in my life. But I never lost interest in the music.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Big Ralph
Junior Boarder

#69061 2 years, 6 months ago
I have had many different feelings on this subject.........but then I just get down to this: there has not been music that I have found joy in more than Grateful Dead music! I like the vibe,the love,dancing,..........its all good!
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#69110 2 years, 6 months ago
My wife wishes I would outgrow the Dead, thats for sure. She is not a fan so I never listen to Dead/Furhtur at home unless I use headphones. I have tried unsuccessfully to convert her (took her to see the Dead in 03 and Furthur last Spring) but she still doesn't get IT. I am going to try one more time (Manchester) to get her to see the light. Maybe some shrooms will do the trick I got her a ticket for Portland just in case she wants to continue on. My wife always says to me "You should have married a Dead Head" so I keep trying to make her one!
TooLeeDoo
Junior Boarder

#69117 2 years, 6 months ago
If you a fan of anything you can fall out of interest... However.. If your a dead head or a jerrys kid.. Not possible .. When something moves you that much. I liken it to being reborn.. Or better yet arriving... It's loyalty at it's finest. It's almost genetic.. As if there is this one singular gene that a small percentage of society has in common.. It's inherently Grateful Dead.. One of a smallnumber of purely American freedom at it's finest.. Good things like those.. Never die.. They indure all time..
tdog
Junior Boarder
Take a step back

#69120 2 years, 6 months ago
Do you have the same reaction to other types of music that you listen to now that used to make you happy ? If so I'd say it has less to do with The Dead per se, rather a general malaise that you're going through.

For me, I find music, especially Dead music, takes me back to a place when I first heard it and obviously a more innocent time in my life. I think the last few years with all that is bad happening throughout the world it give me a sense that all that used to be good is not including this music. The Dead were always positive about the future in their music, always looking to the next "trip" so to speak. I think what's missing in my life right now is a sense of optimism in the future for all sorts of reasons.

I sincerely hope you get over it. I'm struggling with my own spirit at the moment. For the last few years actually.
Freedom is truth.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#69122 2 years, 6 months ago
"Maybe some shrooms will do the trick"
dancingshroom_2011-10-06.gif

scaryshroom.gif
tdog
Junior Boarder
Take a step back

#69123 2 years, 6 months ago
In fact, I remember back in the day the band members used to tell the Heads to listen to other kinds of music. Not just tapes of their shows. I always found that refreshing and honest as with other things about these guys over the years.

Jerry was into all kinds of stuff from Bluegrass to Jazz to Irish sea shanties Dude just loved music and to make music. Magic.
Freedom is truth.
bokb
Senior Boarder
Be, okay? Be.

#69126 2 years, 6 months ago
Music, in general, has been my sanctuary since I was 8 yrs. old (now in my 40's), and so much of it ebbs & flows....

Turned my back on so much that I grew up on, only to come to appreciate it years later. Burned myself out on stuff that I eventually began to miss. I'd always wondered if I'd ever get sick of the Dead, but I never really did. I got so immersed in the Dead, Phish, & random jam bands, tho, that I realized I missed a whole lot of other awesome tunage, so I got super distracted for a few years.

Furthur brought it all back to me however, and now it's deja vu all over again! This music has woven itself into my DNA and I will never be able to escape it, even if I wanted to!
If unable to dance, I'll crawl.
Time to create page: 0.79 seconds