• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
MWoods
Junior Boarder

Is it possible to outgrow the Dead?

#68787 2 years, 10 months ago
I have a problem. Many, actually, but it's the musical problem that I am looking for thoughts/opinion on.

In the past year (since the MSG run in November to be exact) I find myself listening to less and less Grateful Dead. Lately, even when I do put on some GD or I am in a car/boat/etc with someone who is playing some Dead, I find myself actively not liking it. The music makes me..... angry. This really disturbs me in some ways.

This music was such a HUGE part of my identity for so long, and it's like the magic has faded for me.

Has this happened to you with the Dead (or any other band you used to love) before? If so did the magic come back? Or are my days of identifying as a "head" over?
The following user(s) said Thank You: illuminaughty
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Is it possible to outgrow the Dead?

#68790 2 years, 10 months ago
I certainly hope not !
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#68797 2 years, 10 months ago
I can see why it bothers you, but I think sometimes tastes just change. I have just the opposite worry. I tend to only listen to the Dead and all the same music I've been listening to for years. So I have to force myself to listen to new music whenever I can, so at least I sort of know the Grammy nominees. Having Sirius in the car makes it worse- too easy to listen to only the Dead channel!
The following user(s) said Thank You: deadheadnj, funky420, doin_that_rag, deadontherivet
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#68802 2 years, 10 months ago
Medic! Quick, get this man to the Greek quickly!

Sounds like your suffering from burnout. Listen to some other stuff for awhile and you'll eventually come back to it. You'll get the fever again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: funky420
jbeach12078
Junior Boarder

#68810 2 years, 10 months ago
SunshineSue wrote:
I can see why it bothers you, but I think sometimes tastes just change. I have just the opposite worry. I tend to only listen to the Dead and all the same music I've been listening to for years. So I have to force myself to listen to new music whenever I can, so at least I sort of know the Grammy nominees. Having Sirius in the car makes it worse- too easy to listen to only the Dead channel!

i have the same problem, i listen to dead or some reincarnation 95% of the time. i have to go out of my way to listen to other bands...
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#68821 2 years, 10 months ago
Someone put a curse on you. Don't worry it will come around. Do you tend to listen to grateful dead when you depressed or angry. I don't listen to the dead when I'm feeling thise emotions. I don't want certain songs to remind me of bad times. I went from 99 to 2003 without listing cause I got into drugs. But all of sudden I got back into it and haven't let go since
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
katie mae
Junior Boarder

#68864 2 years, 10 months ago
Totally possible, but it sounds like it might be just a phase. You'll grow out of it!

Seriously, I didn't listen to an GD for a spell of several years. I just wasn't in a space that permitted me to indulge in shows and while I listened very occasionally, I was just not that interested. I missed a slew of tours and didn't even keep up with what was going on with the band. In retrospect, had I know Jerry would leave us so soon, I would do it differently, but it is what it is and there aren't any do-overs. So I just enjoy the tunage for what it was and remains today, and I hit various incarnations of Furthur, 7 Walkers, The Dead, RD, Ratdog, P&F, etc, when I need a fix. But even today, there are times I just dont' want to listen to the GD and I have a GD-free day or spell of days.

I find staying away from internet forums better for my GD health. I got so riled up over a post I just read, that I signed up just to post a reply but now I realize that forums suck the positive vibes out of me. Maybe that's where you are too? It's all good my brother, you're not a lost sailor, you'll be okay. Take a break if you need to and re visit the music at another time.

ETA: MWoods, maybe you're in a funk because of this GD v. Furthur thang? I know for me and some of my old show pals, it's difficult to not be bummed out about some of the decisions that have been made by Phil and Bobby with Furthur. I am referring to a post you made in another thread today. I find that sometimes I really have to take a step back and remember all that the GOGD gave to me and what they brought into my life and then put on some ass kicker show like the one XM played last night before the Vegas feed (5/15/70, or maybe a tasty Veneta 1972) and you will be revitalized! Try it...then stay away from the forums and just enjoy listening to the music play...
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by katie mae.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MWoods
Slewfoot
Junior Boarder

#68873 2 years, 10 months ago
This happened to me in the early 90's, after 100's of shows, playing in a GD cover band, running a GD related business. It was ALL Dead, ALL the time. Well, of course I hit the skids for a few years after, and during that time, I rarely listened to the boys. I've come full circle again, realizing, that for me, there are very few bands that stand the test of time. You'll come back, take a breather, listen to new music and grow. You'll come to really appreciate what you already know, there is simply nothing like the Gra8ful Dead!
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by Slewfoot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: funky420
MWoods
Junior Boarder

#68888 2 years, 10 months ago
katie mae wrote:
it's difficult to not be bummed out about some of the decisions that have been made by Phil and Bobby with Furthur. I am referring to a post you made in another thread today. I find that sometimes I really have to take a step back and remember all that the GOGD gave to me and what they brought into my life and then put on some ass kicker show like the one XM played last night before the Vegas feed (5/15/70, or maybe a tasty Veneta 1972) and you will be revitalized! Try it...then stay away from the forums and just enjoy listening to the music play...

Hmmm.... some interesting points made here. Thanks!
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#68899 2 years, 10 months ago
after jerry died i stopped listening for a long time before that i listened to them most of the time i listened to other stuff but they were my go to after getting into furthur they rekindled my love affair with the DEAD as well .the beauty of music is theres so much out there give something else a listen for a bit we wont revoke your GD card if ya stray ,no rule that says all you can listen to is the dead
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Time to create page: 0.63 seconds