• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
jaredlang
Platinum Boarder

Re: anyone have changes of heart on particular songs?

#68666 3 years ago
When I first got into the GD almost 20 years ago, there were certain Bobby songs which i didn't care for:
The Other One
Estimated Prophet
Playing in the Band

Just to name a few.

Now I can't get enough of them. I really don't know what I was thinking.

I won't complain if I never hear Victim or the Crime again
Standing on the moon with nothing left to do
A lovely view of heaven but I'd rather be with you
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#68678 3 years ago
doin_that_rag wrote:
OtherOne wrote:
doin_that_rag wrote:
i'm not necessarily saying i prefer bobby's version to jerry's i'm just saying that seeing the song in a different light helped me fully appreciate the power of that song and thank you for the link

right on that makes sense...that version I linked is what made me a lifelong deadhead in 93, sublime!

just finished listening to it jerry nailed it that was an incredible version thanks again for the link

Yes, you are not alone, very good version even for those of us more objective than someone who "got on the bus" at that particular show.

Here's a list of some other great versions. headyversion.com/song/317/grateful-dead/standing-on-the-moon/

SOTM also had a lot of symbolic meaning for Jerry. I'll have to listen to Bobby's version. To some extent, Bobby has stepped into / been thrust into Jerry's role as the leader of the band but I don't think he feel as isolated as Jerry used to. I also don't think people view Bobby as godlike as they used to view Jerry.

JERRYWOULDLOVETHISBAND.jpeg
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#68679 3 years ago
jaredlang wrote:
When I first got into the GD almost 20 years ago, there were certain Bobby songs which i didn't care for:
The Other One
Estimated Prophet
Playing in the Band

Just to name a few.

Now I can't get enough of them. I really don't know what I was thinking.

I won't complain if I never hear Victim or the Crime again

I think they are an acquired taste. I sometimes agree with you about the other one, I go through phases on that one, like hearing it / don't like hearing it.

sweetwilliamisdead
Junior Boarder

#68685 3 years ago
I used to not care much for wharf rat, but after awhile & seeing them play it live I really enjoy it. The song is so powerful.

My least favorite is casey jones I don't think i will ever be able to appreticiate that song, its overplayed by nonheads and the music and lyrics aren't very representative of the deads potential and creativity.
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder

#68829 3 years ago
23atwell wrote:
I never cared for lost sailor til I heard it live in broomfield. Last nights show I was into china doll which I don't care to much about, that's one song I know will grow one me. Maggie farm last night was smoking. I usually don't care for that song.

They have not played "Lost Sailor" in any of the eleven Colorado shows.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#68835 3 years ago
strangerinboulder wrote:
23atwell wrote:
I never cared for lost sailor til I heard it live in broomfield. Last nights show I was into china doll which I don't care to much about, that's one song I know will grow one me. Maggie farm last night was smoking. I usually don't care for that song.

They have not played "Lost Sailor" in any of the eleven Colorado shows.

Your right. It was 12-30-09. I get songs mixed up.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#69241 3 years ago
Ship of fools, never cared for it too much. Version on Sirius XM now is amazing. Wow you can FEEL Jerry. From 10/3/80.

PS - I KNOW this show. Great era, great show.

www.archive.org/details/gd80-10-03.nak30...non.16208.sbeok.shnf

Last Edit: 3 years ago by scar1et_f1re.
The following user(s) said Thank You: doin_that_rag
MWoods
Junior Boarder

#69245 3 years ago
Yes, I used to love her....

....but it's all over now.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#69253 3 years ago
Count me among those who am enjoying Playing more....I think because they have gotten back to the free form jam structure of that song. With the GD, it got a little bit formulaic with the Playin' > UJB tandem. It works well but going into UJ cut off the playin' jam.

Victim or the crime, ....that might have been me yelling that about bobby, I know that is what I was thinking when they broke it out in about 88....However, I will say that what I always thought rescued that song was the spooky jam at the end. ...so I was willing to suffer through the lyrical part.

While I still take a pee break during certain songs, I must say that whatever Furthur plays is gravy, so I even cherish the songs that aren't my favs.....that's why I think a Day Job breakout would be cool. I dont hate that song at all, but it got such a bad rep for being overplayed...especially the encores... it would be fun to hear the reaction when it came out. Maybe on a special night, like NYE....then put it away again.

Finally, SOTM version to enjoy get your hankies ready. Saw it live from the back row. Chills live, chills now.

The following user(s) said Thank You: doin_that_rag
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds