• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

anyone have changes of heart on particular songs?

#68583 3 years ago
we all have our favorite jerry, bobby, phil, brent and pig tunes and we all have some we dont get too excited to hear but have people changed their minds after hearing a particular version?

i never really dug china doll too much but lately ive been listening to it more and more and after hearing john last night its stuck on my mind the version from reckoning sends chills down my spine when jerry sings "take up your china doll, its only fractured, just a little nervous from the fall"
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
Canyon
Junior Boarder

Re: anyone have changes of heart on particular songs?

#68589 3 years ago
yes, I used to despise Corrina, now I kinda like it. I've had a love/hate relationship with Truckin' over the years, got sick of it for a while but now I'm liking it again. Then there are a few songs that have fallen out of my favor since Jerry passed like Loose Lucy ,Sugaree, West LA Fadeaway...etc
Shoot the breeze, lose the keys
Feed the poor, stop the war
Make the signs, connect the lines
Pay your fines, save your dimes
Watch The Feds, Dig The Dead

reflectionsofmatter.com
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#68590 3 years ago
Bird Song was one for me. I couldn't seem to ever get into like I wish I could....Until this past July when I seen Furthur perform it live in Alpharetta. OMG it took me for a ride and I don't know if I ever came back! I have new appericate and love for the song now!!

A song I'm hoping to learn to love is New Minglewood Blues....
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#68595 3 years ago
I really enjoyed Minglewood Blues last night, I used to get so tired of that song. Bobby breaking out some of the older lyrics made it extra sweet 4 me. (Maybe it was Minglewood Blues instead of New MingleWood Blues or New New Minglewood Blues).
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#68597 3 years ago
I didn't like Hell in a Bucket at all when GD first started playing it, now it's one of my favorite get-perked-up-and-dance songs.

Maybe some day I'll start liking Corinna too, but not yet, and I have no hope for VOTC.
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#68598 3 years ago
another one for me was SOTM i never really "got" it until i heard bob pour his heart into it...i know some people have given bob flack for singing some jerry ballads but when he sings "a lovely view of heaven, but i'd rather be with you, be with you" it is so emotional...both times i heard bob sing it live i had a few tears rolling down my face it was so heartfelt
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re
drpsilocybo
Junior Boarder
Trying to find a peacefull song

#68602 3 years ago
doin_that_rag wrote:
i never really dug china doll too much but lately ive been listening to it more and more and after hearing john last night its stuck on my mind the version from reckoning sends chills down my spine when jerry sings "take up your china doll, its only fractured, just a little nervous from the fall"

I feel the same. China Doll has been a song that I skip over when listening to shows, but John killed it last night, that was beautiful.
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

#68604 3 years ago
Comes A Time is a song that didn't do much for me until I saw Furthur play it at UCF. It was the most emotionally moving experience I've ever had at a concert.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#68607 3 years ago
SunshineSue wrote:
I didn't like Hell in a Bucket at all when GD first started playing it, now it's one of my favorite get-perked-up-and-dance songs.

Maybe some day I'll start liking Corinna too, but not yet, and I have no hope for VOTC.

There is a really good Jerry interview out which includes Jerry spending 5 / 10 minutes talking about Victim. The interview was focusing on the album "in the dark". Jerry was also pointing out that VOTC was extremely "unconventional" and difficult to play and even more difficult to improvise during. But Jerry said with time it was evolving for the better. That one grows on me, I like it but I don't ever see it in my top 10. I enjoy Corinna, but that took many listens for me. BTW, that same Jerry interview discusses Foolish heart and other songs from the late '80's.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#68612 3 years ago
I never really appreciated many of the Brent songs until years after he passed. Most were feel good songs for me at the time, but now that I've matured a bit, gone thorough fatherhood + learned more about Brent's life (drug / depression /marriage issues) I realize how deep many if not all of his songs were.

I will take you home is one of the few remaining songs that can rip me to shreds emotionally. The song is great, and I know he loved his daughter to death. But even with the best of intentions, he did leave her way too early. We recently had a big party for my 13 year old and I ALMOST picked that song for our father / daughter dance. In the end I decided against it 'casue nobody else would know the song and I also had a feeling it was too deep for me to handle in front of a large crowd.

Little girl lost in a forest of dreams
It's a dark old wood, and it's damp with dew
Hoot owl hoots, for a moment it seems
Something big and cold got a hold of you
Just when everything gets scary
Daddy's coming round for his darling again
Hold my hand with your little fingers
Daddy's loving arms gonna gather you in

Ain't no way the Bogeyman can get you
You can close your eyes, the world is gonna let you
Your daddy's here and never will forget you
I will take you home