• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

Re: Jerry's Problem

#68955 2 years, 9 months ago
using keith richards as the basis for any argument is risky at best!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: newyawker
katie mae
Junior Boarder

#68974 2 years, 9 months ago
I loved and appreciated Jerry unconditionally. Jerry on his worst day was still better than anything else to me.

I think this sums it up for me as well. Even the worst shows were better than nothing. I knew from the beginning way back when, that Jerry and some of the Boys were deep into various things, some not so healthy, but back then a lot of folks were into a lot of things so it wasn't exactly shocking or anything. I think more than anything though, Jerry's health - weight, exercise, smoking - was probably worsening his situation. There were times I'd go to a show and think, man, I wish he'd lose some weight and get into better shape...he went up and down quite a bit over the years. I personally have a feeling that the pressure that a lot of people placed on his shoulders would be too much for any one person to bear for too long. Listen to his taped interviews. He's just this funny, very intelligent dude who's just like a regular guy, but one who many folks looked at as a god or a mesiah of sorts. That sort of shit can weigh heavy on a person and if it was me, I could certainly see turning to something to take the edge off or to take me out of my reality even if only for a moment.

I miss Jerry so much that if I'm at a show nowadays and hear a certain tune, it brings tears to my eyes because I just wish he was still with us so we could all hear his beautiful music and listen to his songs. Even when he was using, he could sing a song and bring you to your knees in tears, the man had a way with singing stories. I wish I could take everyone who never saw him in person, and somehow take them all to one show so they could know what that magic was like. To see his big smile and see him enjoying himself during a JGB show was just the best. When he was in the moment, enjoying the hell out of show, he just radiated so much joy in those moments, and to see his playful relationship with his band and his back up ladies, you just ended up smiling from ear to ear for no damn reason. So yeah, I knew about the use, I don't think anyone back then didn't know, but I always hoped he'd choose a healthier lifestyle, even if it meant less touring.
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by katie mae.
The following user(s) said Thank You: edheadwharfrat
hunter
Fresh Boarder

#68988 2 years, 9 months ago
I believe we have to accept all of Jerry. His 'demons' were an integral part of the whole. Of course, we wish he had lived longer -- though there is heavy selfishness in this view (at least for me). From the moment I first became a fan and aware of the rumblings in the community (early '80s), his addiction(s) were common knowledge. We lamented, empathized, lionized--whatever-- ultimately there could certainly be no judgment. It is what it is (or was). We definitely kept (keep) listening.
The following user(s) said Thank You: edheadwharfrat
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

#68995 2 years, 9 months ago
it seems like all these comments revolve around music and his professional career as a musician. I wanna hear from his family and what they would say about his chronic drug habits and the impact it had on them. drugs are a tough subject with as wide a spectrum of experience as there are people on this planet. tough to come to a stance on anything when life is just the way it is
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#69062 2 years, 9 months ago
mandala wrote:
i recently learned that jerry was told when he had his '92 meltdown that he needed a triple bypass if he wanted to go on living, and chose not to. nothing to do with the drugs since, as was mentioned above, keith richards has shown it's totally possible to be a drug hedonist and it not threaten your life...

Keith Richards is the exception that proves the rule. Hard drug abuse is always life threatening. To think otherwise is foolish. Anyone who has known lots of hard drug abusers or alcoholics has seen people die from it, directly or indirectly.
Without love day to day insanity's king
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

#69068 2 years, 9 months ago
Dire Wolf wrote:
it seems like all these comments revolve around music and his professional career as a musician. I wanna hear from his family and what they would say about his chronic drug habits and the impact it had on them. drugs are a tough subject with as wide a spectrum of experience as there are people on this planet. tough to come to a stance on anything when life is just the way it is

Here's an excerpt from a 1996 San Francisco Examiner article about Jerry's daughter Annabelle:

It's not what you'd call typical fatherly advice.

"You kids should do drugs,'' Jerry Garcia used to tell his sensible daughters.

"It was sort of a running family joke,'' said Annabelle Garcia-McLean, 26, one of four daughters of the late unofficial leader of the Grateful Dead. She said her mother would also say: "Why can't you kids be more like us?''

"We'd tell her, `Mom, no, we don't want to. We learned from you guys.'''

Now, years later, two of the daughters are spending hours at the side of their mother, Carolyn "Mountain Girl'' Adams Garcia, as she dukes it out with Garcia's third wife for a share of his estate in Marin County, Calif., court.

Outside the courtroom, the Garcia daughters are living far different lives from their famous dad. They say they saw the damage done by celebrity and drugs, and are not about to embark on the same lifestyle.

"We saw a lot of older folks we know burn out when we were still so young,'' said Garcia-McLean, an artist whose drawings have been made into lithographs, and who bears a remarkable resemblance to her legendary dad. "When we'd go to the shows, we'd see young fans - 15 or 16 years old - taking way too many drugs, really being zombied. It really drove it home. You don't want to do that to yourself.''

The guitarist fathered four daughters: Heather Garcia, the oldest, with first wife, Sarah; Garcia-McLean and her sister, Theresa Garcia, with second wife, Carolyn Adams Garcia; and Keelin, 9, with Manasha Matheson, who was not married to Jerry Garcia. In addition, Garcia had a paternal relationship with Sunshine Kesey, daughter of novelist Ken Kesey and Carolyn Adams Garcia.

Garcia-McLean recalled times talking to her father on the phone when heroin would cause him to nod off in mid-conversation. She'd patiently wait on the line for him to wake up - usually minutes later - and resume their conversation.

She confronted him about his drug use. "I'd say, `Dad, what's the story? Why do you feel like life has so little to offer that you have to do this?'''

Once he "gave me a look over the top of his glasses, and said, `I can't go outside. I'm recognized now.'''

Garcia-McLean believes that besides the pressures of celebrity, Garcia, who died of a heart attack at a drug rehabilitation center in 1995, turned to drugs to combat the boredom of life on the road touring with the Dead.

"He was always touring,'' she said. "There was nothing entertaining to do. He'd spend a lot of time sitting in his hotel room.''
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by ShakedownSteve.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dire Wolf
Time to create page: 0.46 seconds