• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

Jerry's Problem

#68576 3 years ago
How aware were you of Jerry's drug addiction when he was alive? If you never saw Jerry play, what are your feelings about his unapologetic drug use? I don't recall exactly what I knew about his drug problem. I knew he was Captain Trips and I knew he got busted freebasing in Golden Gate Park, but I don't remember what I knew about his heroin use. I know someone who saw some shows in San Diego in '93 and he told me they were terrible. "Jerry's back on smack" he said. And I thought to myself "how would you even know?" Jerry Garcia was a fully functional heroin addict for at least the last 15 years of his life. I suspect his periods of sobriety were few and far between. A lot of people point at his drug use as the reason for the sporadic nature of his playing in the latter years, but what about all the times he played while high in the early '80s? He undoubtedly played some brilliant shows while using heroin. People think someone on heroin is a drooling mess who constantly nods out, and that's not the case at all. Most of the time you would never be able to tell if someone is a heroin addict unless they didn't have heroin. Heroin addicts need the drug to function normally. It's when they don't have it that their behavior changes markedly. I'm sure some people will say without drugs Jerry would have lived longer and been a stronger player, and that's probably true. But drugs undoubtedly influenced Jerry in so many ways that without them in his life he wouldn't have been the person he was and might not have created the music he did.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
Last Edit: 3 years ago by ShakedownSteve.
mandala
Junior Boarder
jerry junkie

Re: Jerry's Problem

#68588 3 years ago
so tired of hearing folks say that it was the heroin that shortened jerry's life. that's a bullshit lie! it was his diet and lack of exercise; the same thing that ultimately takes most heart attack victims. other than that, i agree with you...
life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - j. lennon
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#68601 3 years ago
While it is true that Jerry played some awesome shows as an active heroin addict, he also played some pretty sloppy ones, especially in '94 and '95. The lack of exercise, heavy smoking and cocaine use, absence of preventative health care, and poor diet Jerry had were all side effects of the disease of addiction he suffered from. While it is accurate to say that Jerry did not die as a direct result of heroin use (he didn't OD), to say that his addiction to heroin did not lead to lifestyle choices that eventually killed him is delusional. Heroin, cocaine, and cigarettes all played a major role in Jerry's death, no doubt about that at all. It is tragic that he never found lasting recovery. His attempts to get clean at the end of his life proved to be too late, but I am happy that he died clean.

The contribution he made to the world of music far outweighs his personal problems. He was a spiritual being trapped in a human body, just like all of us.
Without love day to day insanity's king
The following user(s) said Thank You: funky420, WGJORDAN3
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#68665 3 years ago
cocaine speeds up the heart and enlarges it as well. heroin slows it down and can stop respiration all together . the combo of the 2 speedballing is about as bad as it gets damage to the body wise just ask john belushi.oh wait youc ant hes dead like ed said while he didnt OD the drug use led him to live a unhealthy lifestyle that brought around his untimely demise.i also believe that the demands of being the head of the traveling circus got to him and caused an increase in his drug abuse,but thats just my opinion the rest is fact.if your doing heroin or coke try to stop before you die or go to prison thats the only endings for those drugs
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
brokenarrow
Gold Boarder

#68711 3 years ago
I was at the la arena show in December 94 and in the middle of He's Gone , Jerry nodded out and his face hit the mic and everyone gasped. I was like holy shit but he kept going. He always carried his briefcase, people said that's where he kept his stash.
GOOD LOVE
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#68717 3 years ago
I loved and appreciated Jerry unconditionally. Jerry on his worst day was still better than anything else to me. I think later on diabetes was effecting him as well. Almost killed him in 86. Everything effected him Im sure, but smoking and diabetes probably killed him. See Keith Richards as evidence about abusing drugs, still being able to rock, and still living a lengthy life. I don't know. Does any of that make any sense?
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#68719 3 years ago
i dont know shit about jerrys problem, but ifor one, need to slow down the monster energy drinks. whoa
The following user(s) said Thank You: neverstop66
Chuck_Woolery
Visitor

#68897 3 years ago
Yeah those things are f'n DEADLY
Chester
More or less in line

#68903 3 years ago
We all have our demons. Jerry had some powerful ones.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
mandala
Junior Boarder
jerry junkie

#68920 3 years ago
i recently learned that jerry was told when he had his '92 meltdown that he needed a triple bypass if he wanted to go on living, and chose not to. nothing to do with the drugs since, as was mentioned above, keith richards has shown it's totally possible to be a drug hedonist and it not threaten your life...
life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - j. lennon
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds