• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

Re: Please Furthur More Radio Broadcasts!

#68628 2 years, 11 months ago
Dylan also had a problem with running his mouth.
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#68637 2 years, 11 months ago
mandala wrote:
i know this isn't going to win me any friends here, this being the furthur board, but i couldn't even listen to last night's broadcast and came away realizing, at least for this 42 year bus rider, that "furthur" is really an insult to jerry. do you really think a band led by bobby and phil, without jerry's creative spark, would ever have gone anywhere? (wasn't it dylan who once said that w/o jerry, phil would still be working @ the p.o.?) they are still riding on the strength of the music jerry created, and the only thing "furthur" they are doing is dragging jerry's creations down...

just my opinion; flame away...

Ok, last nights show wasn’t the greatest but Furthur is still the best post Jerry effort we have seen. Furthur is taking much more chances musically then the Dead did in the later years before Jerry’s death. I hate to say it but Jerry was lowering his own bar near the end but I loved him so much it was as if he could do no wrong. If you compare the recent Furthur Red Rocks shows to some of the Dead shows in 95 the Furthur shows are superior hands down. They also have written new songs which are evolving into classics. To say they are dragging down the “creation” is just not true. IMO
The following user(s) said Thank You: FurthurFlower67
mandala
Junior Boarder
jerry junkie

#68638 2 years, 11 months ago
dylan had a problem "running his mouth"??? puhleeze, more of us should suffer from his incredible form of verbal diarrhea... (and here's hoping he's finally awarded the nobel literature prize...)
life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - j. lennon
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#68646 2 years, 11 months ago
Do get me wrong, I am one of the biggest Dylan freaks you will come across on this board.

I just feel he had a tendency to say a lot of things> some I agreed with other seemed of base or out of line & not consistent with how he really felt.

He was big into getting reactions as well.

BTW did you ever hear about the time Dylan got shut out of his own show in Minneapolis 2002ish, because he went out to the camper and forgot his credentials’ and the security guard thought he was a bum and wouldn’t let him in.
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
mandala
Junior Boarder
jerry junkie

#68669 2 years, 11 months ago
>>>Furthur is still the best post Jerry effort we have seen.

i can't say i disagree with that, i just don't think it's saying much. if these guys think they're so hot, why don't they try touring based on the strength of their own material, with maybe one or two jerry songs thrown in as a fitting tribute, but not riding on what he created while not really doing it the justice it deserves?

btw, count me as one of those that feels trying to play primarily a gd repertoire w/o billy and mickey is just petty and small-minded. and anyone who thinks that jerry woulda loved that is drowning deep in de nile...

>>>BTW did you ever hear about the time Dylan got shut out of his own show in Minneapolis 2002ish, because he went out to the camper and forgot his credentials’ and the security guard thought he was a bum and wouldn’t let him in.

for someone who was so tormented at the beginning of his career by being treated as a demi-god, that must have been a cosmic hoot and a half. imho, you shouldn't be doing security for someone you can't even recognize...
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by mandala.
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#68676 2 years, 11 months ago
mandala wrote:
>>>Furthur is still the best post Jerry effort we have seen.

i can't say i disagree with that, i just don't think it's saying much. why don't these guys try touring based on the strength of their own material, with maybe one or two jerry songs thrown in as a fitting tribute, but not riding on what he created while not really doing it the justice it deserves?

btw, count me as one of those that feels trying to play primarily a gd repertoire w/o billy and mickey is just petty and small-minded. and anyone who thinks that jerry woulda loved that is in deep in de nile...

>>>BTW did you ever hear about the time Dylan got shut out of his own show in Minneapolis 2002ish, because he went out to the camper and forgot his credentials’ and the security guard thought he was a bum and wouldn’t let him in.

for someone who was so tormented at the beginning of his career by being treated as a demi-god, that must have been a cosmic hoot and a half. imho, you shouldn't be doing security for someone you can't even recognize...

Just out of curiosity, have you actually gone to see Furthur this year? If so, are you honestly saying you think they aren't doing justice to Grateful Dead material? My God, the 2nd Sets on Sat. and Sun at Red Rocks last weekend were some of the best live music I've ever seen any band perform. If you haven't seen them this year, how do you know what you're missing if you haven't experienced it? You don't get the whole picture just from listening to the recordings, you have to be there to really get it.
Without love day to day insanity's king
The following user(s) said Thank You: deadontherivet
mandala
Junior Boarder
jerry junkie

#68681 2 years, 11 months ago
>>>have you actually gone to see Furthur this year?

i must admit i did enjoy the tri broadcast from the comfort of my home. but no, the last i saw furthur live was phil's 70th, and i keep checking out recordings in hopes of getting inspired to go see them again, but i'm inevitably let down (also, i agree with those who say they "give great setlists", but their execution rarely matches the fantasies they inspire). and for me, it's not about their improvement as a band, it's about the concept of a band playing that material under the control of the previously supporting players, instead of letting themselves be stretched like they were by their former creative spark and leader. it just keeps sounding too stifled for my taste...
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by mandala.
deadontherivet
Expert Boarder

#68682 2 years, 11 months ago
mandala wrote:
i know this isn't going to win me any friends here, this being the furthur board, but i couldn't even listen to last night's broadcast and came away realizing, at least for this 42 year bus rider, that "furthur" is really an insult to jerry. do you really think a band led by bobby and phil, without jerry's creative spark, would ever have gone anywhere? (wasn't it dylan who once said that w/o jerry, phil would still be working @ the p.o.?) they are still riding on the strength of the music jerry created, and the only thing "furthur" they are doing is dragging jerry's creations down...

just my opinion; flame away...

While I enjoyed last nights show, it was nothing compared to the sets this weekend at Red Rocks. If you want to judge Furthur go to the archive and fire up set 2 from Saturday night. The Morning Dew and farmstead were the best performed since at least 1995. I saw a lot of shows with Jerry and this one ranked right up there.

I am
Also a massive Dylan fan, but take mist of what he says with a grain of salt. A lot of times Bob is stoking the fire.
I wish I was the headlight on a northbound train.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ecojaded
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds