• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
stealinrainbows
Fresh Boarder

What happened to Shakedown????

#67934 2 years, 11 months ago
I just wanted to see if anyone else might feel the same as we do. My girlfriend and I have been on tour since Bethel NY in July and to put it mildly we havent been getting the warmest reception in the lots at most of the shows we've been to. The most mind blowing was last week at Eugene where absolutely no vending was allowed. I know the Boys can't always accomodate those who want to vend or barter in the parking lot but what the hell happenend to the fucking Shakedown. I know iv'e thrown down a couple bucks (more like a couple thousand) for tickets to shows for me and my family over the years. I just don't see why the parking lots are over policed and good folks are persecuted just for trying to make a living. Maybe I'm missing something but I'm pretty sure Jerry wouldn't have stood for this bullshit. Throw the kids a bone damn!!
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder
The wheels are muddy, got a ton of hay

Re: What happened to Shakedown????

#67960 2 years, 11 months ago
Gone are the dayz when the ox fall down
Take up the yoke and plow the field around
Gone are the days when the ladies say please, gentle jack jones wont you come to me??!!

time to reinvent the wheel
Canyon
Junior Boarder

#67962 2 years, 11 months ago
I dont know, Jerry (and the rest of the band) begged us to stop the lot scene back in the GD days too. I guess the difference is they just asked us to stopped but didn't really do much other than a few official letters. Now-a-days it seems like more of a concerted effort to make Shakedown St. a thing of the past, oh well, was a blast while it lasted...
Shoot the breeze, lose the keys
Feed the poor, stop the war
Make the signs, connect the lines
Pay your fines, save your dimes
Watch The Feds, Dig The Dead

reflectionsofmatter.com
HORUS
Fresh Boarder

#67964 2 years, 11 months ago
I think they are trying to keep the scene as low key as possible......focus on the music and not the lot scene I guess. A look to the past might provide some insight into how they feel about vending etc. Just a guess.

7/5/95

This Darkness Got To Give

Dear Dead Heads:

This is the way it looks to us from the stage:

Your justly-renowned tolerance and compassion have set you up to be used. At Deer Creek, we watched many of you cheer on and help a thousand fools kick down the fence and break into the show. We can't play music and watch plywood flying around endangering people. The security and police whom those people endangered represent us, work for us -- think of them as us. You can't expect mellow security if you're throwing things at them. The saboteurs who did this can only do it if all Dead Heads allow them to. Your reputation is at stake.

Don't you get it?

Over the past thirty years we've come up with the fewest possible rules to make the difficult act of bringing tons of people together work well -- and a few thousand so-called Dead Heads ignore those simple rules and screw it up for you, us and everybody. We've never before had to cancel a show because of you. Think about it.

If you don't have a ticket, don't come. This is real. This is first a music concert, not a free-for-all party. Secondly, don't vend. Vending attracts people without tickets. Many of the people without tickets have no responsibility or obligation to our scene. They don't give a shit. They act like idiots. They think it's just a party to get as trahed as possible at. We're all supposed to be about higher consciousness, not drunken stupidity.

It's up to you as Dead Heads to educate these people, and to pressure them into acting like Dead Heads instead of maniacs. They can only get away with this crap if you let them. The old slogan is true: If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Want to end the touring life of the Grateful Dead? Allow bottle-throwing gate crashers to keep on thinking they're cool anarchists instead of the creeps they are.

Want to continue it? Listen to the rules, and pressure others to do so. A few more scenes like Sunday night, and we'll quite simply be unable to play. The spirit of the Grateful Dead is at stake, and we'll do what we have to do to protect it. And when you hear somebody say "Fuck you, we'll do what we want," remember something.

That applies to us, too.

Phil, Jerry, Bobby, Mickey, Billy and Vince
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nancyinthesky, the highway terror, 2Bears, Chris1126
jaredlang
Platinum Boarder

#298032 8 months, 3 weeks ago
Anyone know where they will be setting up Shakedown in Mexico?
Standing on the moon with nothing left to do
A lovely view of heaven but I'd rather be with you
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#298034 8 months, 3 weeks ago
jaredlang wrote:
Anyone know where they will be setting up Shakedown in Mexico?

ya, in the jail
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#298035 8 months, 3 weeks ago
great answer!
What is next for us
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#298044 8 months, 3 weeks ago
The Shakedown in Mexico will make the Boston Shakedown look like Lot 8 at RFK.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
jaredlang
Platinum Boarder

#298046 8 months, 3 weeks ago
dr bakes wrote:
The Shakedown in Mexico will make the Boston Shakedown look like Lot 8 at RFK.

Does that mean the cops wont let you take 30 seconds to take stuff outta your trunk?
Standing on the moon with nothing left to do
A lovely view of heaven but I'd rather be with you
The following user(s) said Thank You: dr bakes
Time to create page: 0.48 seconds