• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
WorkingmansEd
Junior Boarder

Hi Y'all

#6684 3 years, 5 months ago
First post.

Name's Edward, how do you do?

I'm a Philly head so maybe I've met some of you around recently. I go to Temple U, so with school and work on my plate you can usually only catch me at shows between Connecticut and DC.

Right up front, I just want to let everyone that cares know where I stand on some of the debates regarding the band:

Let Phil Sing? Yes. Phil is IN THE BAND, has been for 50 years if you hadn't noticed. He's earned it, and if you don't want to see him sing you can either not pay for a ticket and sit cryin' at home or take your piss-breaks on Phil songs.

Who sings what? If I had my druthers, JK would sing ALL of garcia's parts, Bob would sing all of Bob's parts, and so on. On this issue, I defer to the band wanting to do something different and understand the trade-off vocals as a way to mix things up.

Who is your choice for lead guitar? JK again and again and again. I've seen these guys 20something times, and JK has at some point of each show blown me away. I love Warren with ABB but he belongs in church, not in space (if you get what I mean), I like Herring but he is a bit shred-happy to fit the GD mold. Keep Trey, keep kimock, unless you're resurrecting Garcia give me JK.

Bring back ratdog? No no no no. Furthur (to my taste) is the coolest band in the GD family 1996-2011, Phil and Bob are in FINE form and the music is fresh every night. The repertoire is INSANE and the chops are undeniable at every single spot on the stage. Furthur seems to have struck a nice medium between the styles of Phil and Friends and Ratdog but with the best drummer (BELIEVE) and lead guitarist to be involved yet.

Hope to get acquainted with you real soon.

Edward
The following user(s) said Thank You: GKB, bokb
GKB
Senior Boarder
'Seems like i been here before"

Re: Hi Y'all

#6690 3 years, 5 months ago
i have to agree with all the above. But to each their own as well, thanks for the post Edward
"If you get confused just listen to the music play"
Chester
More or less in line

#6699 3 years, 5 months ago
Hey, welcome aboard Ed.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
bitzer87
Junior Boarder

#6718 3 years, 5 months ago
welcome. I agree with all you've said as well.
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

#6720 3 years, 5 months ago
welcome aboard !
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
bokb
Senior Boarder
Be, okay? Be.

#6727 3 years, 5 months ago
Once upon a time, there was this band called the Grateful Dead whose greatest intention was to bring the sense of unpredictability to rock & roll. Somewhere along the line, the fans seemed to lose interest in that aspect, instead preferring familiarity in the form of the expected "Truckin'" Phil bombs, and the always reliable "wish I was a headlight....!" wind-ups. Unpredictability was relegated to drumz/space, and most fans saw that as break-time. Granted there were certainly some other glorious moments in the segues and jams, but let's be honest, Jerry was having more and more difficulty keeping up, and the rest of the band could only do so much.

That said, all praises to Furthur and a return to the season of "what now?" It used to piss me off how Bobby would break the timing of the "Other One," waiting six or eight extra bars to sing the next line...... crap, how was I supposed to sing along like that? Unpredictability. Who's gonna sing the next verse? What's with Phil singing Bobby's part on "New Potato Caboose?" That's just weird! JK may have Garcia's tone, but hits some runs Jerry never would've thought of. Unpredictable!

From setlists, to singers, to re-tooling older tunes, nobody knows what's coming up! I, for one, am all for it!
If unable to dance, I'll crawl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ruby_claire
ruby_claire
Senior Boarder
Neon Light Diamond

#6731 3 years, 5 months ago
@above poster(can't remember right now) Thanks for expressing a feeling that I've had but haven't been able to verbalize.

I LOVE that we don't know what's coming next, it fits so well with how I 've tried to live my life.

Eschewing the ordinary for the extraordinary.

Hey Ed, welcome aboard the board. ; )
standing on the moon
with nothing left to do
a lovely view of heaven
but i'd rather be with you
Gr8fulauditors
Junior Boarder

#6750 3 years, 5 months ago
Hello eddie!!!
At least I'm still enjoying the ride !!!!!
Time to create page: 0.22 seconds