• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

Studio Recordings

#66558 2 years, 11 months ago
I rarely listen to the Dead's studio work and wouldn't even buy a Furthur studio album if one is released, but there are some studio versions of Dead songs that sound as good if not better than the live performance. The Wheel comes to mind. I think the studio version from Garcia with the pedal steel guitar is way better than the way the Dead played it or Furthur plays it today. I've heard that at every Furthur show I've been to and who knows how many Dead shows. I don't need to hear it live again, but I never get tired of the studio version. Some of the songs from American Beauty also sound better than "the real thing," particularly Box Of Rain and Friend Of The Devil. I never liked the slowed down version of Friend Of The Devil that the Dead played. As much as I love Box Of Rain, well, you know Phil's singing. Anyone else prefer studio versions to live ones?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

Re: Studio Recordings

#66568 2 years, 11 months ago
I wouldn't say I prefer them but I do enjoy them. I'd love if Furthur came out with a studio album, especially if they recorded it at Tristudios! -- but I know its pretty unlikely
The following user(s) said Thank You: funky420
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

#66587 2 years, 11 months ago
I love The Wheel, and have only heard it a couple times (by Furthur) but one studio song I've always loved (and has only been played a few times) is France off the Shakedown St. album even the Donna parts (which I'm not a Donna fan by any means) are awesome. I have always loved that song.
The voices tell me what to say
Brother Dust
Gold Boarder

#66604 2 years, 11 months ago
I dont perfer but I love a lot of the studio work
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#66662 2 years, 11 months ago
I don't think I've ever heard any version of Box of Rain that was as good as the version on American Beauty. That being said, neither the studio version nor any bootleg will ever rival hearing Phil sing it live in my book.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#66666 2 years, 11 months ago
scar1et_f1re wrote:
I don't think I've ever heard any version of Box of Rain that was as good as the version on American Beauty. That being said, neither the studio version nor any bootleg will ever rival hearing Phil sing it live in my book.

Of course David Grisman sat in on American Beauty with some amazing Mandolin playing. Particularly on Box of Rain and Friend of the Devil. And Dave Nelson sat in on Box of Rain.

I really love listening to Jerry playing with David Grisman; they had a very special bond and they knew when to compliment each other and when to let the other shine on. No "ego issues" that's for sure. Just good ol home cooked muzak.

FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds