• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

Re: How many people here didn't see JK with DSO?

#66036 2 years, 10 months ago
Terrapin Sedation wrote:
Thanks for those quick responses, but I'm not really interested in your thoughts about DSO....that's old news.

What I'm curious about is those folks who went into Furthur skeptical or mostly ignorant of JK. The ones who said Phil and/or Bobby were enough to give the band a chance no matter who is playing the Jerry part.

I'm guessing if they are on this board they've come to appreciate JK to some extent.

Ohhhhhoh, what I want to know is how has the journey been with discovering JK.

You can also tell me if it is okay to eat raw garlic and fart in an elevator, but I usually leave those queries up to other more capable posters.

first time i saw DSO was in the summer of 2005 they killed it i'll never forget how great jk sounded and the filthy things he did to dancin in the streets that night...when i heard about furthur and that he was the lead guitarist, i was ecstatic...his playing was a lot different in DSO than it is in furthur..in DSO he was a jerry clone, an imitation garcia, and he was great at it, he was a beast, and i thought oh wow now this band is going to sound just like the grateful dead this is what i've always wanted..in furthur phil and bob have helped him find his own voice (which is still in development) but it makes him far from a garcia clone...he is just someone stepping up into the shoes of the role of jerry garcia in the music...he does it honorably and humbly, with some of his own creative input..he has participated in a band for me to enjoy that is not and will never be the grateful dead, but will always use their music and essence, because that is what it's all about, phil and bob will take the ride til they can't any longer, and it's pretty obvious that right now, furthur is the option they are both into pursuing ....their sound as a group is getting tighter but at the same time everyone is playing more loosely, really making their jams reach new heights
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
terrapin_blue
Junior Boarder

#66038 2 years, 10 months ago
Well, I never had a chance to see Jerry.

THE moment that made me a deadhead was seeing DSO do a Terrapin live years ago. So yes I did have the wonderful chance to see John K with DSO.

John is such an incredible musician, and when dark star was on they were ON. Furthur has been an incredible experience though, he has become much more confident and outgoing on stage, and the crowd was happy to see him grow into his own skin more than "play jerry".
mattgill
Junior Boarder
Atleast I'm enjoying the ride.

#66063 2 years, 10 months ago
I saw DSO for my first time and only time with JK back in 08 at Westbury. I was so blown away by the whole show. Little did i know less then a year later he would be touring with bob and phil! So when i heard about Furthur i was like wow, i need to see this!
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#66162 2 years, 10 months ago
i've seen dark star about 10 times once with JK the rest with Jeff Matson. I came in to say something along the lines of what wlewis said...the first time i saw JK with DSO i thought he sounded so much like jerry it was scary and also kinda cool seeing as i was 4 when jerry died and didn't get the chance to see him. That being said, after JK joined furthur he has continually developed his own sound i can hear just as much jimmy paige and other guitarists as i can jerry when he is playing these days. I think he has gotten an unfair rap as a "fake jerry" because in DSO he was trying to sound as much like jerry as possible and he did a damn good job. In furthur, he isn't trying to sound exactly like jerry and he does a great job at that too. For what its worth, in his solo band he freaking kills it...if he could play like that with furthur i think everyone would stop calling him fake jerry and a jerry clone, but it is bob and phil's band and JK will never be completely out of his cage. He is an incredible guitarist and i think that a lot of people don't realize that cause they don't see him outside of DSO or Furthur, but if you get a chance give him a shot and see him solo...he loves it and it is cheaper than the convenience fees for most tickets
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
Chester
More or less in line

#66164 2 years, 10 months ago
I would really like a chance to see JK with his solo band. I've heard a little bit. But he never seems to play
outside of Maryland or Virginia. Maybe someday.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#66165 2 years, 10 months ago
I would love to see him solo, either acoustic or with his band but he usually plays pretty far away from me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
DangerousDan
Senior Boarder

#66168 2 years, 10 months ago
Kidding about that first comment, JK is god and i would really like catching DSO ive passed em up a few times but due to their youtube vids im going to the next one!
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#66170 2 years, 10 months ago
Here is JK's last show from the Stone Pony over Labor Day Weekend. Very clean recording.

www.archive.org/details/jk2011-09-04.NYLifer.sbd
The following user(s) said Thank You: mattgill
mattgill
Junior Boarder
Atleast I'm enjoying the ride.

#66173 2 years, 10 months ago
If you get a chance to see JK with his solo band, i suggest to. I was at that Stone Pony show, it was such a great time and got to meet john after!
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#66207 2 years, 10 months ago
i was standing next to katy, john's wife, at the JKB show in Falls Church over labor day and i said they should bring it down to NC and she said they will sometime soon so it sounds like when its all said and done JK will try and expand his solo band more and more
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
Time to create page: 0.46 seconds