• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

Re: How many people here didn't see JK with DSO?

#65872 2 years, 10 months ago
I saw DSO several times at the old state bridge lodge in Colorado back in 2000 ish. To be honest with you when I heard that he would be playing with Bobby and Phil I thought it was a joke.
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

#65874 2 years, 10 months ago
I think that JK is an adequate guitar player and knows the music well. Phil and Bob are the reasons that I go to see this band play however
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terrapin Sedation
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#65879 2 years, 10 months ago
Terrapin Sedation wrote:
Thanks for those quick responses, but I'm not really interested in your thoughts about DSO....that's old news.

What I'm curious about is those folks who went into Furthur skeptical or mostly ignorant of JK. The ones who said Phil and/or Bobby were enough to give the band a chance no matter who is playing the Jerry part.

I'm guessing if they are on this board they've come to appreciate JK to some extent.

Ohhhhhoh, what I want to know is how has the journey been with discovering JK.

You can also tell me if it is okay to eat raw garlic and fart in an elevator, but I usually leave those queries up to other more capable posters.

well it wasn't long after I got on the bus that Furthur was formed. I saw The Dead 1 time and Ratdog 3 and was loving Ratdog. I got tickets for the whole family when Furthur first came to Oakdale 12/11/09 but tickets for the winter tour went onsale before those shows. I had heard good things about JK and I figured the band was going to be good anyway with Bob and Phil so I decided to get both Radio City shows and then Mohegan Sun (CT) in the winter 2010 tour. Obviously I was pretty anxious to see them and hear John but I was almost thinking "man I hope i wanted to go to all 4 shows" since I bought the tickets not knowing what they sound like. When I first heard him sing and play when they opened my first show with Shakedown Street>Alabama Getaway (it might not have been > actually but it was the next song) I was blown away at how good he sounded and how much more 'Dead like' the guitar was then with Warren (no offense to Warren). I was so happy I got tickets to all 3 of those next shows, my brother went to the 2 Radio City then my mom to Mohegan which still today that Mohegan show is one of my favorites - the setlist, the playing and the crowd were all phenomenal.

As happy as I was with those shows, looking back I am quite disapointed in myself for only doing Lowell and Vibes that summer. I should have at least did Best Buy/Brooklyn. Ever since I first seen them the music has grown on me more and more, not just Furthur but all GD in general. I already liked GD a lot before I saw Ratdog 8/20/08 and I had a lot more music by them then anyone else but I never knew about gdradio and archive and stuff - how much music is really out there. Of course the message boards were a cool thing to get into as well...

dancingshroom.gif
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#65894 2 years, 10 months ago
After Jerry died I must admit I kinda lost interest for awhile. I saw The Dead once in 2003 and enjoyed it but I was not blown away. I never saw DSO and really knew nothing about JK until I heard the board tapes from the first three Furthur shows at the Fox in Oakland. I was so impressed with his playing and Furthur's sound that I felt reborn to the music. I really enjoyed listening to last night's second set. The jams were extended and exploritory, and some of the best bridge work between songs I have heard them play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wngfan, Terrapin Sedation
Chester
More or less in line

#65895 2 years, 10 months ago
I've seen DSO twice with JK, and twice without. They're are a fun band, and If they're in town, I'll go see them.
But not if it competes with a Furthur tour. For what it's worth, I think JK is a good fit with Furthur.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#65905 2 years, 10 months ago
No, love the guy.
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
DangerousDan
Senior Boarder

#65936 2 years, 10 months ago
ya I LOVE DSO but dont like the Greatful Dead its weird, dark star just does it better
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
otherone78
Junior Boarder
first Furthur show: 2/19/10

#65972 2 years, 10 months ago
Ive seen DSO several times, the first show being 4/11/2001 in which they played 4/22/77 Philly show. Hooked me. But I was hooked with this music since my first intro on 6/15/95.
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

#66017 2 years, 10 months ago
I had only heard of DSO and John Kadlecik prior to my first Furthur show. I got off the bus after Jerry died and had no interest in the various Dead reunions. I love Warren Haynes playing the Allman Brothers Band, but I don't ever want to hear him play the Dead. When I first heard about Furthur I was curious to check them out because I heard their guitar player was supposed to sound like Jerry. I don't consider John K a Jerry clone or a Jerry imitator. I just look at him as a guitarist who studied Garcia thoroughly and was heavily influenced by his style. John K is a student of the Jerry Garcia school of guitar playing. If Furthur had gone with someone like Warren Haynes I never would have gotten back on the bus. I saw DSO for the first time last February and was kinda disappointed. It was ok, nothing special.

DangerousDan wrote:
ya I LOVE DSO but dont like the Greatful Dead its weird, dark star just does it better

All I have to say is you definitely need to listen to more Grateful Dead.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by ShakedownSteve.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MushroomMan
wngfan
Junior Boarder

#66034 2 years, 10 months ago
I saw DSO a few times at the Crystal Ballroom in Portland. Good times"

But Furthur is better. I have gotten on airplanes a couple times to see Furthur, havnt done that about DSO. the anticipation builds days before a furthur show. I think JK's sound has gotten better and more his own style with Furthur.
Time to create page: 0.52 seconds