• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

How many people here didn't see JK with DSO?

#65842 3 years ago
I don't ask that with any intent to grab bragging rights or dig up the old debate about Furthur being a "tribute band" Jerry ghost blah blah.

I'm just listening to last night's Terrapin and I got to thinking about people's evolution with JK and how they've come to accept/enjoy him..or maybe still can't quite get all the way over the hill.

I know it wasn't easy for many to adjust. Because I had seen him with DSO I didn't need to be sold when he joined Furthur. I had an inkling of him as a person, and an appreciation of him as a player.

For those of you who didn't see him with DSO --- old and young alike -- there had to be a sense of discovery that I didn't share. I wonder what that was like and would enjoy hearing about it.

And from those of you who also were already on the JK train, I wonder if you feel the same as me.
Last Edit: 3 years ago by Terrapin Sedation. Reason: minor tweak
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

Re: How many people here didn't see JK with DSO?

#65844 3 years ago
I hadn't seen DSO till this summer so the first time I saw JK was RCMH Feb 2010 and he blew me away.
The voices tell me what to say
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#65849 3 years ago
maybe when Bob and Phil are gone I'll check them out but until then I'm saving my money

I would of liked to see them at the Vibes this year if I was there thursday, I just mean I'm not gunna spend extra. I don't mean any offense or anything like that.
nastero
Junior Boarder

#65850 3 years ago
I've known about DSO since their inception having grown up in Milwaukee (now in CA). From the time I first saw them I knew he had something special beyond just being "Fake Jerry".

I've been on the JK bus from the get-go and I knew he'd fit in well if "the boys" decided to give him a fair shake.

To my ears the band does not at all sound like a GD tribute band or whatever, from what I can hear they have mixed up arrangements a fair bit (while still holding true to the essence of the music) and played with song placement, different song pairings, and so on.

I don't see JK as being a Jerry clone or anything like that either and I think it is a dismissive attitude to take. It diminishes his skill, his hard work, and the effect of countless other musical influences beyond Jerome (and if you listen closely you can hear those influences quite clearly). While his tone and styling are in line with what the GD "sound" is all about, there is so much more to his guitar work and the interplay of the entire band that takes it well outside the realm of "tribute" and "nostalgia act".

I think if people really, honestly, listened with an open heart and an open mind they would see what a great thing these guys have going on and it would excite them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riggamortis
ColoradoRain
Junior Boarder

#65851 3 years ago
Saw him at Summerfest with DSO in Milwaukee maybe 8 or 9 years ago... pretty damn good then too.
JStraw
Junior Boarder

#65853 3 years ago
I first saw DSO in '99, and would catch them whenever they came through where ever I was living. I also never saw JK as a "clone". For me he embodies the spirit of Jerry with his soulful delivery, he gets the music and it comes through when he plays. I remember the first time I finally got my brother to go to a DSO show (He was against a tribute-style dead band), they're playing this amazing Eyes, and my brother looks at me and says, "who ARE these guys!" He never missed a show after that...
Those who hear not the music. . . think the dancers mad.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#65854 3 years ago
Thanks for those quick responses, but I'm not really interested in your thoughts about DSO....that's old news.

What I'm curious about is those folks who went into Furthur skeptical or mostly ignorant of JK. The ones who said Phil and/or Bobby were enough to give the band a chance no matter who is playing the Jerry part.

I'm guessing if they are on this board they've come to appreciate JK to some extent.

Ohhhhhoh, what I want to know is how has the journey been with discovering JK.

You can also tell me if it is okay to eat raw garlic and fart in an elevator, but I usually leave those queries up to other more capable posters.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#65858 3 years ago
im someone like that i figured nobody could replace jerry and they cant BUT johns playing is of such high caliber that when i heard him play with furthur last year i was brought back into the fold.JKs sound both guitar and voice are that of a pre coma jerry.before he got all raspy from cigs and persian.his comes a time is absolution chill inducing
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#65860 3 years ago
and raw garlic is great for you but i prefer mine cooked in olive oil till golden brown as for the elevator thing if your alone go for it leave a gift for the next person doing it while its crowded is low rent but can be fun if the crowd is a bunch of tight ass's
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terrapin Sedation
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder

#65863 3 years ago
The last show I saw him in was at the Aggie (Ft.Collin's) on 10/17/09. DSO is actually playing there on 10/7; Fillmore (Denver) 10/8; Colorado Springs on 10/9. They were just in Colorado in August. I'm guessing after the RR shows, + the cash being spent I will not be in attendance to any of these shows. Maybe the Fillmore.
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds