• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
jk420
Junior Boarder
At least I'm enjoyin' the ride

Phil retiring?? Not according to HIM

#65690 2 years, 10 months ago
This is Phil's quote from Sept 16 on notreble.com...a bass players website.....

“The more different it is from the last time we played a tune, the happier I am with it,” Lesh told the Messenger Post last year.

The iconic bassist, who turned 71 this year, doesn’t show signs of slowing down, adding that “They’re going to have to pry the bass out of my cold, dead fingers. I’m a musician. That’s what I do.”
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

Re: Phil retiring?? Not according to HIM

#65695 2 years, 10 months ago
Long Live Phil, we love you!
furthur1
Junior Boarder

#65697 2 years, 10 months ago
Phil is far from retirement. Further might go into hiatus from such a rigorous tour schedule, but Terrapin Crossroads and the Lesh Family will be the forerunner with his time I believe....
さらに、
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#65698 2 years, 10 months ago
Love ya, Phil!
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#65703 2 years, 10 months ago
jk420 wrote:
This is Phil's quote from Sept 16 on notreble.com...a bass players website.....

“The more different it is from the last time we played a tune, the happier I am with it,” Lesh told the Messenger Post last year.

The iconic bassist, who turned 71 this year, doesn’t show signs of slowing down, adding that “They’re going to have to pry the bass out of my cold, dead fingers. I’m a musician. That’s what I do.”

I nominate this for best post of the week! : )
The following user(s) said Thank You: Equinox, PennsylvaniaPete, funky420, bokb, scar1et_f1re, strangerinboulder, jk420
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder

#65705 2 years, 10 months ago
Now THAT is a reliable source. Phil us up. Let's get ready to rumble @ the Rocks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re
BigBabyViper
Junior Boarder

#65734 2 years, 10 months ago
i keep gettin this feeling that when furthur takes a break it will be because the dead will do a final farewell tour and if so it in my opinion will only be replacing joe russo with bill and mickey or at least it should be. i really think JK is the only suitable lead guitarist for the dead if they do another tour. i really enjoy joe russo on drums over bill and mickey personally but ya gotta have bill and mickey if its the dead so i guess we will see
It never got weird enough for me -Hunter S.
Chester
More or less in line

#65740 2 years, 10 months ago
I've actually heard this. Pretty much what I've been saying. These guys live for music. I agree, we may see less and less tours,
and more single runs, and that type of thing. And I really hope Phil gets his Terrapin Landing project up and running. And Bobby
has TRI studios. And I believe we'll see a 50th Dead Reunion tour, or at least a few very special shows to comemorate that. : )
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
deadegad
Platinum Boarder

#65750 2 years, 10 months ago
BigBabyViper wrote:
i keep gettin this feeling that when furthur takes a break it will be because the dead will do a final farewell tour and if so it in my opinion will only be replacing joe russo with bill and mickey or at least it should be. i really think JK is the only suitable lead guitarist for the dead if they do another tour. i really enjoy joe russo on drums over bill and mickey personally but ya gotta have bill and mickey if its the dead so i guess we will see

I would love a three man drum and percussion line up w?JK still on guitar. That would be incredible. And just keep the Furthur name, no need to call it The Dead.

Regarding the rigors of touring in the future?

I hope they consider more shows in perhaps limited places, or limited runs. Perhaps they could hit major population areas with more shows so they don't have to travel and some conveniently located 'satellite shows' in less populated with enough rest time in between so it is not too draining on the band. They could also let those areas that might get left out that in time they will get to that area along the outlined strategy above. So the band plays on on a different schedule that sooner or later "comes 'round."

Bottom line I need -- today, bad day thing -- to con myself into believing that Furthur goes further. I can't cope with too much more bad news today LOL! Gotta Believe!
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by deadegad.
deadahead
Junior Boarder
Music & Politics Don't Mix

#65768 2 years, 10 months ago
Chester wrote:
I really hope Phil gets his Terrapin Landing project up and running.

I truly hope that Phil gets Terrapin Crossroads, too, and soon! BTW, for those interested, there is a site up, TerrapinLanding.com, that is dedicated to the discussion of Phil's Terrapin Crossroads. It is at http://www.terrapinlanding.com.
"The Grateful Dead," Jerry Garcia explained, "don't really take positions; we're musicians, not politicians."
Time to create page: 0.51 seconds