• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
slipknot75
Junior Boarder

Re: NYPD

#7165 3 years, 5 months ago
And I wasn't referring to YOU Lynx..i was referring to the person who started this thread
Lynx
Visitor

#7166 3 years, 5 months ago
I know. I'm just having fun with ya 'cause you seem so worked up. It's all in good fun.
slipknot75
Junior Boarder

#7167 3 years, 5 months ago
Im not worked up. Im stoned immaculate. I just have opinions about, you know..."stuff".

It's actually a pet peeve of mine and has been since the 80's. We used to fly under the radar for the most part. One of the deadhead mottoes was "Leave nothing but footprints"

Back in the day no one, no venue, no security ever hassled us for smoking weed inside the venue. Now you can't do that.

I just wish that people would understand that we all affect the community. We all have a responsibility to LOWER the heat, not turn it up, and every time some head gets arrested for something the heat goes up on all of us.

You can't be part of a family and think that your actions don't reflect on the entire family.

We DO have a responsibility to school each other on the best and most hassle free way of enjoying the music.

The guy who started this thread could care less about anyone else. He missed the show and that's the big tragedy for him. But his actions as well as the actions of others affect everyone, and I am saddened and disappointed that he doesn't get that.
PennsylvaniaPete
Junior Boarder

#7168 3 years, 5 months ago
I think you might be sugar coating the past just a bit. I recall even back in the Grateful Dead days, there were venues such as the Cap Center and Nassau that smokers got tossed.
The Deadheads gather at the rim of the volcano to dance and sing joyful songs in honor of their fallen hero.
Lynx
Visitor

#7174 3 years, 5 months ago
slipknot75 wrote:
Im not worked up. Im stoned immaculate. I just have opinions about, you know..."stuff".

It's actually a pet peeve of mine and has been since the 80's. We used to fly under the radar for the most part. One of the deadhead mottoes was "Leave nothing but footprints"

Back in the day no one, no venue, no security ever hassled us for smoking weed inside the venue. Now you can't do that.

I just wish that people would understand that we all affect the community. We all have a responsibility to LOWER the heat, not turn it up, and every time some head gets arrested for something the heat goes up on all of us.

You can't be part of a family and think that your actions don't reflect on the entire family.

We DO have a responsibility to school each other on the best and most hassle free way of enjoying the music.

The guy who started this thread could care less about anyone else. He missed the show and that's the big tragedy for him. But his actions as well as the actions of others affect everyone, and I am saddened and disappointed that he doesn't get that.

Ok it's hard to disagree with any of that. My point was that I just try (see below) and concentrate on my own attitude/behavior rather than get fixated on that of other people. Having other people lecture me has never changed my mind on anything. Watching people live by example certainly has.

That quote about leaving only footprints though has tempted me into getting on my soapbox just a little. This is, of course, not just a "deadhead" motto but something you will see and hear all over... especially in National Parks and such places. More so than the nitrous, the drug use, public drunkenness or any of the other behaviors that you are right to not want associated with "our thing" (capito?) I am embarrassed by the WASTE we leave behind. Seeing a city park that hours earlier was clean and beautiful completely laid to waste with empty bottles, fast food wrappers, cigarette butts, and of course spent balloons really annoys me. I think leaving the locals to clean up after us does a HELL of a lot more to make us unwelcome than drinking a beer outside. Of course doing neither would be ideal... so I don't.
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by .
quomaya2
Junior Boarder

#7179 3 years, 5 months ago
Maybe we should get a tour cleanup crew going.
Lynx
Visitor

#7186 3 years, 5 months ago
Ha! Just the other day I saw some kids, two to be exact, walking around the neighborhood with bags collecting the trash that has emerged from the melting snow. They looked so happy to be doing it. It made me feel like I live a good place and inspired me to want to help make the community better as well. But had they knocked on my door and given me a somber lecture about getting off my butt, going outside and cleaning up trash around the neighborhood I would have thought "Piss off!"
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by .
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

#7196 3 years, 5 months ago
To slip. What gives you the right to think you can judge me when we've never met. You say I could care less about anyone that's bs, I do care and if I thought my having a beer was going to det everyone busted I wouldn't drink it. The fact is that the dead scene has had a "reputation" long before I was here adn will continue to have one long after I'm gone. So I'm sorry if my beer ruined your community. Thank for the lecture you'be changed my life. Must be nice to be so perfect.
The voices tell me what to say
slipknot75
Junior Boarder

#7220 3 years, 5 months ago
Yep. Just like I said. You wouldn't get it.

No one ever said the negatives in the scene were all your fault.

But, clearly, your beef is that you are pissed that your public drinking caused YOU to miss the show.

I have yet to see you express ANY remorse over the fact that what you do (and not JUST you, but others like you as well) contributes to the negative reputation our community has.

Your attitude is basically, "hey...other people did it before I did" doesn't fly.

I never said I was perfect either. But I'm not the one here bitching that I got arrested FOR DOING SOMETHING ILLEGAL.

I do plenty, but what I do I do discreetly and it has no negative effect on the scene.

You're no different than gate crashers who thing they deserve to bi inside a show just because they want to be, and care nothing for anyone else.

The deal is this.

You drank in public and got arrested. You add to the negative reputation of our scene and you clearly don't give a fuck.

You need to grow the fuck up.
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

#7224 3 years, 5 months ago
I accept the fact that I got arrested for actions that were intirely my fault. However the bad name given to our community beause of people drinking beer or smoking a J isn't as bad as all the dealers you hear on the lot nitrous, shrooms, L, etc (I heard alot of this outside of RCMH)all of which I'm not a part of. I always take care of my trash and try to do my part to be nice not harm others. As far as growing up I will continue to do that my whole life, there's always more to learn. And you can get fuct.
The voices tell me what to say
slipknot75
Junior Boarder

#7452 3 years, 5 months ago
funky420 wrote:
I accept the fact that I got arrested for actions that were intirely my fault. However the bad name given to our community beause of people drinking beer or smoking a J isn't as bad as all the dealers you hear on the lot nitrous, shrooms, L, etc (I heard alot of this outside of RCMH)all of which I'm not a part of. I always take care of my trash and try to do my part to be nice not harm others. As far as growing up I will continue to do that my whole life, there's always more to learn. And you can get fuct.

You said "I accept the fact that I got arrested for actions that were intirely my fault.".

Then what was the point of this thread? This whole thread started with you bitching about getting arrested.

You also said, " the bad name given to our community beause of people drinking beer or smoking a J isn't as bad as all the dealers you hear on the lot nitrous, shrooms, L, etc "

To the police and the surrounding communities it is all the same. That's my point.

What you do, what I do, what anyone does.....reflects on all of us.
Cornjulio
Junior Boarder

#7483 3 years, 5 months ago
"One last thing, to suggest that the NYPD is not addressing major crimes due to their enforcement surrounding public events is just ridiculous. They have over 30000 members and they have a wonderful record of solving major crimes and put themselves on the line DAILY, to protect the citizens of NYC"

The Police do a great job when they want to, but let's be realistic, these crackdowns are nothing more than an effort by RK and the NYPD to continue to raise crime stats to justify their every increasing Police budget. Then they turn around and demand money from Washington to fight "Terrorism".

Seems to me that have plenty of money and LE jobs now.

To say that drinking a beer in public is harshing the scene in NY is a joke. It has long been a standing practice in NY to allow folks to drink a beer in public on the streets as long as it is in a bag or paper cup. Don't believe me? Go into any pizza place in NY and ask for a beer to go. Boom...draft in a paper cup right on my corner. They have bars on the tracks in Penn Station and every single store upstairs sells a beer to go.

This is how they make their numbers and make sure they keep their courts busy so all their jobs are safe.

I have not a doubt that NYC Police are great with big and important crimes, but the fact is they have a harassment problem, and I experienced it too.

Before the Allman's last year at UP, I was outside. I proceeded to open up my prescription bottle and take my Allergy Meds. Seconds later I too was surrounded by 4 undercovers. Asked what that was, I told them. They asked to see it. I went into my jacket pocket, and the officer reached in, took out my prescription bottle and found a bat too. I said you have no right to search me, I am retrieving what you asked for.

Boom...in cuffs on an illegal search. I had no bud on me at all. Just a brand new bat, never used that I had bought from a street vendor...legally on the streets of NYC.

When I informed them I had herniated discs in my neck and asked for the cuffs to be loosened. They tightened them.

They confiscated my $151 face ticket. When I asked if they would give it to my gf who is upset and in tears, they asked if I had purchased both tickets and they confiscated hers too.

When I asked if an officer if someone could walk her to the subway....one of them said, "we can arrest her too if you're concerned about her safety. Then you can keep an eye on her."

They threw me in a van with no windows and 12 other people. All cuffed, no air, 10 seats. When one guy asked if they could open the door to let air in. They turned on the heat!

Even though the van was overfilled, they kept us there for another hour until one guy lost it and started kicking the walls. They took him out and roughed him up.

Then they drove us to the precinct with not seat belts at about 70 miles an hour, swerving through the streets sending us flying as we were still in cuffs behind our backs with no seat belts.

Then they let us sit in the van for another hour...all with the heat on.

Finally they brought us in a precinct and screamed at us like common criminals.

They finally gave me an appearance ticket at 2am, and let me go in the middle of Harlem.

Fuck the NYPD and if the band never played in the city again, I wouldn't sweat a bit.

Shit I'm furious reliving that experience now!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorado Greg, irishqueenie, funky420
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds