• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Mully
Junior Boarder

Re: Phish and Furthur co-billing in the future?

#8517 3 years ago
Please, NO Thank You.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
BigEyedPhish
Fresh Boarder

#8671 3 years ago
Phish gets compared to The Dead because of the cult following, and both being probably the two foremost jam bands and one hitting major success after the unfortunate events that occured in the other. Thats where the comparison ends completely. After Jerry arrived at Terrapin Station Phish was just a jump away for people who wanted their jam fix and I am guessing this is where a lot of the much younger deadheads arrived at.

I myself love both, not because they are similar, but because they are both great live shows. I know I'll get an immense hate probably for stating this, but I am also a DMB fan, absolutely not because their cool, but because of their deeper rooted songs that can have some chilling and thought provoking lyrics (if you've heard it on the radio, I do not like that song) The one thing that pisses me off is how obvious a single is for them.. The two most important things to me in music (and I realize everyone is different) are Lyrics (The poetry behind the music) and Musical improv.

Also if you think PHISH fans are bad do not ever go to a dmb show (I know most of you would have to be taken in a coma, anyway ;p). (Except the fans who actually know the band and their music and just don't scream TWO STEP at the concert I am at.... they.....are actually VERY nice people.)

Either way, I am too young to be considered a legit "deadhead" but if I was born 15 years before I was (1988) you would sure as hell find my ass dancing around at a Dead concert..

I find the Grateful Dead more bluesy and folk, and Phish more Jazz-like, even though they have songs that could be considered different genres, this is what their roots seem to be in my opinion

I realize many may not like phish here, and that is absolutely fine, and I can definitely understand when someone tries to jam something down your throat after you've listened to a band for 30-40 years that you may not find it kindly.

But if you had to pick out a band that has a following even REMOTELY (Fandom wise) to what The Dead had, and still do in their current incarnations I would say it would have to be Phish.

I honestly believe the people who do jump to this conclusion do not really "Know" either band and they just know the "Deadhead" and "Phans, Phriends" what have you

Either way, If I could take THE GOOD FANS from each of the shows I go to collectively, and bring them together I would possibly go to musical nirvana.

PS: I am of the belief that most phish fans are jealous of the people who actually got to see the Grateful Dead all together (including myself) and us, or them, comparing Phish to The Dead is a sort of self reassurance that maybe we get to see something good after all..

PS#2 I find it hilarious that on the phish forums there was an April Fool's Joke about DMB and Phish co-headlining for the 3 nights in Watkins Glen, and Phish fans reaction to the april fools joke is pretty much the same as this here.
Last Edit: 3 years ago by BigEyedPhish.
The following user(s) said Thank You: deadahead
Lafoo
Junior Boarder

#8831 3 years ago
I'd love to see a Phish/Furthur double bill but doubt it will happen. Phish are notorious for doin their own solo thing. Also keep in mind Phish aren't as popular as they were in their hey day. Only 3 out of their 18 shows announced are sold out this summer. Between tix prices, gas and food it ain't easy to be going to all these shows unless of course you sell some worthy on tour!
deadahead
Junior Boarder
Music & Politics Don't Mix

#8858 3 years ago
Well said, my friend. Both bands are, in fact, doing fantastic on the tour scene, especially for non-mainstream jam bands (which is why we love 'em, of course). In 2009, The Dead came in at #33 on the top 50 touring acts, grossing $26.4M. Phish didn't do too bad either, coming in at #21 and grossing $37.2M. I didn't locate any numbers for 2010 but they are probably out there and I am betting that 2010 was even better than 2009 for both bands. Source and full top 50 listing: PDF: www.pollstarpro.com/files/Pollstar2009Top50.pdf or if you don't want to do PDF, here's the site version: www.pollstar.com/blogs/news/archive/2009/12/30/703577.aspx

BigEyedPhish wrote:
I find the Grateful Dead more bluesy and folk, and Phish more Jazz-like, even though they have songs that could be considered different genres, this is what their roots seem to be in my opinion

Sure. And both bands members enjoy and were heavily influenced in their playing styles by a broad range of other bands, musical styles and genres. So it is obviously enriching and is even a blessing to have an open mind to music in general, as both a listener and as a musician. For example, Jerry's influences included not only Jazz [Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Jean "Django" Reinhardt, etc], but also Bluegrass, Folk, Country, and of course Blues and Rock [remember his mid-60's style was heavily influenced by Freddie King; Bob and Jerry also enjoyed T-Bone Walker, Lightnin' Hopkins, Muddy Waters, etc]. Without this exposure to other bands and genres, the Grateful Dead and Phish wouldn't sound anything like we know them. Another good band simply takes you Furthur...

Cheers...
"The Grateful Dead," Jerry Garcia explained, "don't really take positions; we're musicians, not politicians."
Last Edit: 3 years ago by deadahead.
deadahead
Junior Boarder

#8876 3 years ago
Fortunately there is already a very rich history of sit-ins between members of the Grateful Dead and Phish. Phil Lesh has obviously embraced Trey as a fellow musician. That is Phil's example to us... Here are some youtubes and archive.org sources for your enjoyment (and there are others as well, this is not intended to be a complete listing of their sit-ins):

Amazing set list (click link to see/listen) - Soundboard free download of 4/16/99 - Phil & Friends, Warfield Theatre, San Francisco, CA. Lineup: Phil Lesh - Bass, Steve Kimock - Guitars, John Molo - Drums, Trey Anastasio - Guitar, Page McConnell - Keys, Donna Jean Godchaux-MacKay - Vocals: www.archive.org/details/1999-04-16.paf.s...er.25296.sbeok.flacf

Trey Anastasio, Mike Gordon, and the Benevento-Russo Duo perform 'Going Down the Road Feeling Bad' with Phil Lesh during the 2006 Bonnaroo SuperJam

Phish 1999-09-17 Cold Rain And Snow w/ Phil Lesh at Shoreline Amp.

1999-09-17 Wolfman's Brother w/ Phil Lesh

Big Railroad Blues, Phil & Friends with Trey & Page 4/15/99

Trey Anastasio solo during St. Stephen with Phil Lesh and Friends [Trey and Phil 6/30/06]

Eyes of the World, 2/12/06 - Trey & Joan w/ Phil Lesh -- Trey Anastasio (of Phish) singing lead vocals on the Grateful Dead's "Eyes of the World" with Joan Osborne, Phil Lesh & friends at the Beacon Theatre in NYC on Feb. 12, 2006.

Scarlet Begonias, 4/16/99 - Trey Anastasio & Phriends - Phish members Trey Anastasio (guitar) & Page McConnell (keyboards) joined Phil Lesh (bass), Steve Kimock (guitar), John Molo (drums) & Donna Jean Godchaux-McKay at the Warfield, on April 16, 1999.

Phil Lesh and Friends at the Glen Falls Civic Center on 10/20/07 performing "Deep Ellum Blues" Larry Campbell on vocals. The Friends also include Trey Anastasio of Phish

Phish - Terrapin Station - Played as the encore for the anniversary of Jerry's death three years after the day on 8/9/98. This is all Phish, no Dead members, they did very good

Cheers...
"The Grateful Dead," Jerry Garcia explained, "don't really take positions; we're musicians, not politicians."
Last Edit: 3 years ago by deadahead.
Bzerk 2
Junior Boarder

#8961 3 years ago
HELL NO!!!!! Phish sucks. Keep Furthur going with out any openers it is working rather fine. If they book the sheds for the summer the people will come its that simple. Those philly & Brooklyn shows had good turn out numbers.
Fire Scarlet
Fresh Boarder

#8969 3 years ago
The whole Furthur/Phish argument is like arguing about ice cream flavors.
Is Phish Food better than Cherry Garcia?
It really comes down to personal taste.
I prefer Phish Food to Cherry Garcia.
I prefer The Grateful Dead to Phish.
And I prefer Phish to Furthur.

It's just what tastes good to my taste buds.
deadahead
Junior Boarder

#8970 3 years ago
Bzerk 2 wrote:
HELL NO!!!!! Phish sucks.

Obviously Phil Lesh appreciates Phish, otherwise he would not be playing with them off and on over the past 15 years... You guys with this attitude are really missing out. Oh well, that leaves more Phish for the rest of us who do know how to appreciate good music across the board.
deadahead
Junior Boarder

#8972 3 years ago
Fire Scarlet wrote:
The whole Furthur/Phish argument is like arguing about ice cream flavors.
Is Phish Food better than Cherry Garcia?
It really comes down to personal taste.
I prefer Phish Food to Cherry Garcia.
I prefer The Grateful Dead to Phish.
And I prefer Phish to Furthur.

It's just what tastes good to my taste buds.

I don't see the point being which is better, that's not it at all. It's that both are unique and wonderful bands.

And I prefer them both; Phish just after the Dead... Both of them take me Furthur than only one of them would...
Natorious
Junior Boarder

#8983 3 years ago
I love Phish. Furthur should play Watkins Glen with some Phishy onstage appearances. Listen to Phil and Phriends on Archive.org Phish Haters!!!!!!! Some of the best Phil and friends (if not the best) i've ever heard
Time to create page: 0.83 seconds