• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Fire Scarlet
Fresh Boarder

Re: Phish and Furthur co-billing in the future?

#8421 3 years, 3 months ago
Phish drew 70,000 for Festival 8 and that was on the West Coast and they are an East Coast Band. I think 90,000 might be an underestimation, but I may be wrong. We'll find out soon enough.
Cornjulio
Junior Boarder

#8428 3 years, 3 months ago
But there are wooks...they exist. I think it sounds more endearing than dirty, self centered, non-communal hippie. In the grans scheme of things, there are a group of grifters on the scene. I don't see it as wrong for identifying them as such.

The term wook has really help redefine the term hippie.

Should we not call some of the N20 mafia thugs? Is that demeaning...well yes, but if the shoe fits....
Cornjulio
Junior Boarder

#8430 3 years, 3 months ago
Fire Scarlet wrote:
Phish drew 70,000 for Festival 8 and that was on the West Coast and they are an East Coast Band. I think 90,000 might be an underestimation, but I may be wrong. We'll find out soon enough.

The paid attendance was under 40k and closer to 35 for Festie 8. There will likely be 70,000 people there with staff, vendors etc..., but I will be very surprised if the actually paid number exceeds 55k
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
we gonna stay here til we soothe our souls

#8433 3 years, 3 months ago
ruby_claire wrote:
I don't hate Phish, I just never understood how anyone could compare them to The Grateful Dead ~ they simply don't have the songs.

I might have been more willing to listen if I hadn't been bombarded with the comparisons. It was almost jammed down my throat, and when I said it didn't do much for me, I got accused of being old.

So, yeah, maybe I have a few resentments in there... ; )

To my ears Phish have a lot more to do with Zappa than the dead, JMHO anyway......
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by the highway terror.
sandee823
Junior Boarder
Ohh mama, aint it good to be alive

#8434 3 years, 3 months ago
splatter_face wrote:
I would rather see Furthur and the Rhythm Devils with Keller Williams at Red Rocks for 5 nights.

Word!
This family has opened my eyes to so much in the world. For that, I am and will remain forever grateful.
My freedoms in the fire, i want to take me higher....free my soul
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

#8451 3 years, 3 months ago
Dear Cornjulio,

I suppose that growing up in the deep South made me more aware than some others of the real-life spiritual, physical, and economical abuse that sub groups can endure as a result of the same reasoning and attitude that you are displaying.
Chadwell
Junior Boarder

#8460 3 years, 3 months ago
the highway terror wrote:
To my ears Phish have a lot more to do with Zappa than the dead, JMHO anyway......

That's cuz you're right
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
deadahead
Junior Boarder
Music & Politics Don't Mix

#8476 3 years, 3 months ago
Greetings all,

I would love to see Furthur and Phish play together, or more sit-ins between those two fantastic bands.

Grateful Dead is my favorite band, period. I was introduced to Phish a few years ago and, coming from a hard core Dead background, it did not appeal to me at all at first, I turned my nose down to it for some reason. But once I got into their live shows, Phish started to really grow on me. I now enjoy Phish just after the Grateful Dead. Phish performs rock solid on stage and they really sound very, very good. As a guitar player, I have come to have great respect for Trey, just after Jerry - and that says a lot. His playing is very satisfying to my ear. His jams are fantastic. The entire band is so tight, individually and as a whole. These days I find myself staying current on both the Furhur and Phish live shows. Looking back, I am grateful that I was introduced to Phish, because they have added so much more musical pleasure and delight to my life. If you're new to them or unsure, I suggest giving them another chance. You've got nothing to lose and another great band to gain. Can't go wrong, there.

As for Phish and whether or not they were influenced by the Grateful Dead. Of course they were, and from their very beginning! Here are just a few examples of Dead songs that Phish performed:

1984-12-01 - Nectar's - Burlington, VT - Phish - 01 - Scarlet Begonias-)
1984-12-01 - Nectar's - Burlington, VT - Phish - 03 - Fire On the Mountain
1985-03-04 - Hunt's - Burlington, VT - Phish - 03 - Fire Up the Ganja
1985-05-03 - Wilkes\Davis\Wing Dorm BBQ, UVM - Burlington, VT - Phish - 04 - Eyes of the World-)
1986-04-01 - Hunt's Festival Of Fools - Burlington, VT - Phish - 08 - Help On The Way-)
1986-04-01 - Hunt's Festival Of Fools - Burlington, VT - Phish - 09 - Slipknot!-)
1986-04-01 - Hunt's Festival Of Fools - Burlington, VT - Phish - 14 - Not Fade Away

That's a handful of classic Dead songs. Fire up the Ganja is Fire On The Mountain with new lyrics, same key. It's a BLAST and I am sure that Mickey Hart and the rest of the Dead would get a huge kick out of that one, I sure did.

Here are some highly recommended Phish songs and covers, not in any specific order:

Back on the Train
Heavy Things
Kill Devil Falls
First Tube
Chalkdust Torture
Stealing Time from the Faulty Plan
Reba
Slave to the Traffic Light
Ocelot
46 Days
Alaska
Run Like an Antelope
Backwards Down the Number Line
Bathtub Gin
Birds of a Feather
Cavern
Boogie on Reggae Woman
Bouncing Around the Room
Camel Walk
Dirt
Character Zero
Davie Bowie
Cities
When the Circus Comes to Town
Down with Disease
Divided Sky
Roses Are Free
Waste

If you want to get some great live Phish to listen to, I recommend www.livephish.com/catalog.aspx

Cheers...
"The Grateful Dead," Jerry Garcia explained, "don't really take positions; we're musicians, not politicians."
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by deadahead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chadwell
junior65
Fresh Boarder

#8514 3 years, 3 months ago
no i dont like to be closed minded but dont care for phish at all
Ace#11
Junior Boarder

#8516 3 years, 3 months ago
God please NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrs Deviled Egg
Time to create page: 0.50 seconds