• Topics not covered in other forums.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

Re: No tix from GDTSTOO for MSG despite mailing first

#66693 2 years, 10 months ago
deadegad wrote:
LBDowling wrote:
Oh, sorry~ didn't see that they switched it back... Guess there was a major miscalculation there, or maybe the additional allotment was pulled?

I's like to poll opinions of this one so here are some questions:

1. Did GDTSTOO underestimate the mail in demand and that's why there was such a large shut-out?

2. The last announcement downgrading the odds to 50% was because of the underestimating or some corrupt TickeBastard/scalper/mob scheme?

3. Do you think GDTSTOO might have learned something from this or if there is a spring 2012 tour( large or limited runs) we're pretty much screwed again?

Thanks all.

---

I can't really answer your particular questions but this may help. The 50% chance of filling had been posted and a few weeks later a bigtime deadhead friend told me they increased the allotment for MSG to 90%. I don't know where she heard the allotment to GDTSTOO was increased to 90% but it appears others here heard the same.

I don't think it's uncommon to get shut out of MSG mail order as there is a large demand. One thing I am sure of, scalping scum suck up the frontpage / ticketbastard tickets.

IMO GDTS TOO is the solution, not the problem. Bet it's hard to get more than 4 tickets through them, I am sure scalpers get away with murder with the other online ticket vendors.

As someone else pointed out earlier, the venues are forced to sell a certain amount through ticketmaster.

iac.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=604

Press Releases
Print | Email
Madison Square Garden and Ticketmaster Sign Multi-Year Ticketing AgreementTicketmaster Chosen to Power Ticketing Solutions for New York's Premier Entertainment DestinationsPRNewswire
NEW YORK

Ticketmaster, the world's leading ticketing company, announced today the signing of a multi-year contract extension to provide complete ticketing solutions for Madison Square Garden's four facilities: Madison Square Garden (MSG), the Theater at Madison Square Garden, Radio City Music Hall, and the Hartford Civic Center. As part of the agreement, Ticketmaster will provide in-house software to handle individual event ticketing and season ticketing services at Madison Square Garden, sell and distribute tickets to MSG venues, and support customized marketing and customer relationship management solutions through Ticketmaster's Suite of Product Solutions.

"In evaluating our opportunities, we found that only Ticketmaster, our long-standing partner, offered us the flexibility that our business demands and the customer service that's consistent with our high standards," said Steve Mills, President, MSG Sports. "These days, arenas have many ticketing options available to them, but we believe Ticketmaster's depth and breadth of technology and service is second to none."

Madison Square Garden was among the first venues in the country to install Ticketmaster's innovative TeamExchange, a team-sanctioned online marketplace giving select New York Knicks and New York Rangers season ticket holders the ability to sell their unused tickets, opening up previously unavailable premium seats to the general public. Since launching in August 2002, more than 33,000 Rangers and Knicks tickets have been posted for sale or forwarded to other fans.

"Ticketmaster prides itself in providing superior service and cutting-edge technology," said John Pleasants, President and CEO, Ticketmaster. "Having participated in this competitive bidding process and coming out on top speaks volumes for what we are able to offer our clients. You will sell more tickets through Ticketmaster. We will drive your overall business. All the products, all the technology, and all the service we provide are about selling more tickets, better."

"We've been providing ticketing and technology solutions to Madison Square Garden for more than 15 years," said Marla Hoicowitz, Executive Vice President, Ticketmaster East. "Offering some of the best and most sought after sports, family and arts entertainment, Madison Square Garden venues are among America's finest and most well-attended. Through their aggressive approach to consumer satisfaction and convenience, they are also among the most innovative and forward thinking. We are pleased to continue our long and successful relationship."

Madison Square Garden, the Theater at Madison Square Garden, Radio City Music Hall and the Hartford Civic Center showcase some of the most popular acts and sporting events in the country, including the New York Knicks, Rangers, and Liberty and the legendary Radio City Rockettes. As part of its ongoing service, Ticketmaster:

* Maintains and operates a ticket outlet network in more than
70 locations throughout the New York Tri-State area
* Maintains dedicated telesales numbers to service New York City at
(212) 307-7171 and Hartford, Connecticut (860) 525-4500
* Offers live event tickets on the World Wide Web through
www.ticketmaster.com

About Madison Square GardenMadison Square Garden is a part of Madison Square Garden, L.P. Cablevision Systems Corporation owns a majority interest in MSG L.P., which includes the New York Knicks (NBA), the New York Rangers (NHL), the New York Liberty (WNBA), MSG Network, FOX Sports Net, Radio City Entertainment, and the Madison Square Garden arena complex, located in the heart of the New York metropolitan area.

About Ticketmaster

Ticketmaster, the world's leading ticketing company, sold 100 million tickets valued at $4.9 billion in 2003, through www.ticketmaster.com, one of the largest e-commerce sites on the Internet, more than 3,300 retail Ticket Center outlets and 19 worldwide telephone call centers. Ticketmaster serves more than 8,000 clients worldwide and acts as the exclusive ticketing service for hundreds of leading arenas, stadiums, performing arts venues, and theaters and is the official ticketing provider and supporter of the Athens 2004 Olympic Games. Ticketmaster is headquartered in West Hollywood, California and is an operating business of IAC/InterActiveCorp (NASDAQ: IACI).

SOURCE: Ticketmaster; Madison Square Garden

CONTACT: Cara Taback of Madison Square Garden, +1-212-465-5925,
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ; or Bonnie Poindexter of Ticketmaster,
+1-310-360-2322, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Web site: www.ticketmaster.com/
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
LBDowling
Expert Boarder
We must become ourselves before someone else does

#66721 2 years, 10 months ago
deadegad wrote:
LBDowling wrote:
Oh, sorry~ didn't see that they switched it back... Guess there was a major miscalculation there, or maybe the additional allotment was pulled?

1. Did GDTSTOO underestimate the mail in demand and that's why there was such a large shut-out?

2. The last announcement downgrading the odds to 50% was because of the underestimating or some corrupt TickeBastard/scalper/mob scheme?

3. Do you think GDTSTOO might have learned something from this or if there is a spring 2012 tour( large or limited runs) we're pretty much screwed again?

Thanks all.

GDTS has been doing this a long time & back in the last five years that the Grateful Dead played, they'd receive 60,000 ticket requests for a 15,000 seat venue. And then, they'd only have 50% or less of the total ticket allotment, which is probably much less now. So, as much as they try, there have always been lots of people not getting their requests filled, but it happens a lot less now than it used to back in the day. My personal experience with them has been great... bet you'll get tickets from them if you mail order again. They also really appreciate a decorated envelope.... check out the new book, "Dead Letters", lots of insights into GDTS, their history and amazing envelope art.
Someday, everything's gonna be diff'rent... when I paint my masterpiece
deadegad
Platinum Boarder

#67022 2 years, 10 months ago
LBDowling wrote:
deadegad wrote:
LBDowling wrote:

Thanks all.

GDTS has been doing this a long time & back in the last five years that the Grateful Dead played, they'd receive 60,000 ticket requests for a 15,000 seat venue. And then, they'd only have 50% or less of the total ticket allotment, which is probably much less now. So, as much as they try, there have always been lots of people not getting their requests filled, but it happens a lot less now than it used to back in the day. My personal experience with them has been great... bet you'll get tickets from them if you mail order again. They also really appreciate a decorated envelope.... check out the new book, "Dead Letters", lots of insights into GDTS, their history and amazing envelope art.

I have no doubts about GDTS, The Dead Family, commitment to the fans. The factors I was wondering about were just like you addressed above: allotments to GDTS in this case, demand, and TickekBastard Skullduggery.

I guess when I got shut out and seeing all the RE-sellers of tix, and that the web page was blocked apparently for a full five minutes into one of the internet sales, well, being a cynical(experienced) New Yorker I smelled a rat at work. It would not surprise me if TicketBastard & Nefarious Co. pulled a fast one!

Now it's line up at MSG box office the day of the show or more likely bite the bullet and pay the bucks to a scalper agency. Not going is not an option.

Thanks to you and & everyone for your input and enjoy the shows -- sure wish I had the time and money to head west.
Cornjulio
Junior Boarder

#67736 2 years, 10 months ago
deadegad wrote:
LBDowling wrote:

Thanks all.

I'm not sure what the dealio is here. For instance, I have no idea why they wouldn't request more tickets for shows they are short on, that are not sold out? At least for the GA or GA floor shows. My guess is there is some TM requirement on the allocation of these tix to make sure they get their piece of the pie, but there should be some way to work this out just for the fans.

Often there are contractual obligations the promoter agrees to with venue and artists with respect to the number of tickets allowed for fan sales. These may often be in the contractual obligation the venue has with TM. In the grand scheme it's a scam. I know SCI sued TM and won on something like this, but have no idea what the stipulations are.

As for the 50% being increased to 90% and back down....sounds like miscommunication. However, I will say this. 2300 ticket for the MSG show, and that's with a few thousand tix left to be sold through TM. There is no way brokers and individual speculators bought that many tickets.

I fervently believe that some of the ticket inventory for this show and probably others, never ever went on sale to the public. Some of these tickets had to go from the Promoter, Venue or Band straight to the secondary market. Hopefully not the latter. However, if someone is industrious, all that needs to be done is to print the list of the tix on Stubhub and TicketsNow, and see if these tickets get released via TM as the show date gets closer. Then you will have that Smoking Gun. Perhaps, it's some of these tickets on these secondary markets that will be kicked down to GDTS at a later date should they not be sold at a premium. Remember, when the band gets their guarantee, most of the ticket allotment is already negotiated.
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by Cornjulio.
deadegad
Platinum Boarder

#68639 2 years, 10 months ago
Cornjulio wrote:
deadegad wrote:
LBDowling wrote:

Thanks all.
. . . . However, if someone is industrious, all that needs to be done is to print the list of the tix on Stubhub and TicketsNow, and see if these tickets get released via TM as the show date gets closer. Then you will have that Smoking Gun. Perhaps, it's some of these tickets on these secondary markets that will be kicked down to GDTS at a later date should they not be sold at a premium. Remember, when the band gets their guarantee, most of the ticket allotment is already negotiated.

That's one of things that has mystified me is the 'smoking gun' thing. That there is collusion between TM;et.al., and secondary markets; i.e., the scalper professionals. I would love to see if all of the unsold tickets at scalper sights go back to TM the day of.

Let's hope they continue playing in 2012 and one way or another we all get in!
UGot2Rollme
Fresh Boarder

#68677 2 years, 10 months ago
hey now! there are still tix available through ticketbastard:
www.aeglive.com/events/view/33113/FURTHU...ENEWSNYC100511AEG001
I clicked on 2 "best available" and there were some in section 219 for $74 each, side stage. so, no need to go to secondary market, yet...
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#68701 2 years, 10 months ago
Me thinks if you didnt already get your $ back from GDTSTOO you are good. This is the updated message from their site

Thursday, November 10, 2011 at Madison Square Garden in New York, NY. Doors open at 6:30 PM. Showtime is at 7:30 PM. Unfillable orders have been returned. Tickets will be processed in the next few weeks.

Good luck!

www.gdtstoo.com/GDTSTOOupdate.html

deadegad
Platinum Boarder

#69121 2 years, 10 months ago
scar1et_f1re wrote:
Me thinks if you didnt already get your $ back from GDTSTOO you are good. This is the updated message from their site

Thursday, November 10, 2011 at Madison Square Garden in New York, NY. Doors open at 6:30 PM. Showtime is at 7:30 PM. Unfillable orders have been returned. Tickets will be processed in the next few weeks.

Good luck!

I got my money back already for MSG. Bummer!

I'm getting into MSG one way or another. I do not like scalping. I'd rather Bob, Phil & co. get that money, or one of the charities that interests them; e. g., Unbroken Chain.

Thanks all & Screw TicketBastard!
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#69124 2 years, 10 months ago
deadegad wrote:
scar1et_f1re wrote:

Good luck!

I got my money back already for MSG. Bummer!

I'm getting into MSG one way or another. I do not like scalping. I'd rather Bob, Phil & co. get that money, or one of the charities that interests them; e. g., Unbroken Chain.

Thanks all & Screw TicketBastard!

Buy one from ticket-bastard. Won't be floor seats, but you will be in the door. Not sold out as of yesterday anyway.

Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#69313 2 years, 10 months ago
Yeah, I just checked out of curiosity. 100 level, row 16 at the side of the stage is available. Perfectly good seat IMHO.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Time to create page: 0.92 seconds