• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Cornjulio
Junior Boarder

Furthur Needs Crescendos!

#64691 2 years, 11 months ago
This was my beef with the Dead's sound under Cutler, and this is my beef now with Furthur, who I enjoy immensely as a band.

I know Phil supposedly got frustrated with how loud Herring played.

That's what I put my finger on. It seems that the crescendos are gone, as are the increased volume that should accompany a solo.

Do others feel this way? If the band needs others volumes to stay basically the same for what they are trying to do, how do we get this key component of the music back? You get the same feeling listening to the SBD downloads. They sound FM flat like, with almost no change in volume the quieter passages to the Rock N Roll

To me...this is the key missing component, and clearly the current FOH guy wants no part of being an active participant of adjusting the house sound.

Maybe it's me, but I want the quieter parts quiet and the the parts that are supposed to be loud, to be much louder.

Bring back the Crescendo! Please!
GreatestStoryEverTold
Expert Boarder

Re: Furthur Needs Crescendos!

#64694 2 years, 11 months ago
Cornjulio wrote:
This was my beef with the Dead's sound under Cutler, and this is my beef now with Furthur, who I enjoy immensely as a band.

I know Phil supposedly got frustrated with how loud Herring played.

That's what I put my finger on. It seems that the crescendos are gone, as are the increased volume that should accompany a solo.

Do others feel this way? If the band needs others volumes to stay basically the same for what they are trying to do, how do we get this key component of the music back? You get the same feeling listening to the SBD downloads. They sound FM flat like, with almost no change in volume the quieter passages to the Rock N Roll

To me...this is the key missing component, and clearly the current FOH guy wants no part of being an active participant of adjusting the house sound.

Maybe it's me, but I want the quieter parts quiet and the the parts that are supposed to be loud, to be much louder.

Bring back the Crescendo! Please!

Umm SBDs and being at the live show do not compare.
Cornjulio
Junior Boarder

#64712 2 years, 11 months ago
GreatestStoryEverTold wrote:

Umm SBDs and being at the live show do not compare.

Well duh. Thanks for the informed response. However, a good listen to either tells the crescendo tale.
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by Cornjulio.
otherone78
Junior Boarder
first Furthur show: 2/19/10

#64730 2 years, 11 months ago
I understand your point. However, Im not sure just how true it is. My first show, 2/19/10 John was actually pretty loud, his solo parts and heavy, high notes reveberated the entire place. Some of my favorite moments are when certain notes hit high levels, enough to make you do a double-take. Plenty of those moments happen inside, its harder to notice in an ampitheater or festival/outdoor setting. I find both JK and Joe russo can hit some pretty high level stuff at times. As we know JK can really nail those highly emotional notes, in a flurry too! Ive seen it with DSO and Furthur.
At my last show, 7/21/11 in Mansfield I thought JK was very low in the mix, I could hardly hear him early in the first set but it wad dealt with fast. He is just perfect in the Furthur Live mix though.
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#64740 2 years, 11 months ago
One thing that we miss is that Jerry's solos really, really cut through. I've read in several different accounts that Jerry liked to keep his on-stage amp volume up really high. I think he personally controlled the way his solos crescendoed with his own personal volume, and when he played really loud, everyone else turned up and the drummers hit harder and the place exploded.
Without love day to day insanity's king
KevD510
Fresh Boarder

#64743 2 years, 11 months ago
Bring back Dan Healy! He truly is a wizard when it comes to sound. Cutler can't hold a candle to him. Also for many of us older heads, back in the early 90's the advent of in ear monitors in place of having them onstage changed things for the worse. Letting Healy go changed the sound of live Grateful Dead music forever imo.

I totally dig what Furthur's doing, I just think it would be amazing to have Healy back on board(bad pun).
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#64755 2 years, 11 months ago
I think everyone is onto something, but I don't think it falls on who's controlling the soundboard. It basically gets back to Jerry being the leader of the band and controlling things. JK doesn't have that freedom. I'm convinced he has the ability having heard DSO, but Bob and Phil won't hand him the keys to the car.

I understand why they don't. And JK's leash has gotten longer. But I think we should be at the point where he can take it out there if he wants to, without worrying about someone reeling him in. ....The band is called Furthur, right?
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#64772 2 years, 11 months ago
Let's face it, there will never be another Jerry. Having said that, Furthur is a great band and I'm digging every show. I think with time (and I hope and think this band will last a few more years) they may give John a little more of the leadership role that Jerry had. In the meantime, I can't really complain about the fact there are still shows to go to after getting on the bus 29 years ago.
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#64777 2 years, 11 months ago
edheadwharfrat wrote:
One thing that we miss is that Jerry's solos really, really cut through. I've read in several different accounts that Jerry liked to keep his on-stage amp volume up really high. I think he personally controlled the way his solos crescendoed with his own personal volume, and when he played really loud, everyone else turned up and the drummers hit harder and the place exploded.

They didn't have amps on stage in the later 1990s (none). I think what you are referring to is how Jerry's guitar was electronically modified- that the guitar electronics went pickups>dials and switches > went out to the effects loop(s) and pedals, etc. > CAME BACK into his guitar again and from there he could adjust the total tone. Something about this allowed him to have better tone even when he was turning down the volume nob, which he saw as a problem.

But here's the thing: John's guitar does it too. So do a lot of deadophile guitarists.... I would, if only I had things like a big amp and more than 2 effects (I'm too cheap to buy effects). And he had a master volume pedal so he could control the sound without using his hands. I think it would be argued his style of playing, masterful playing really, cut through everyone else because of his technique. It was not the loudness per se...

So I think the argument here is that the band is not creating the crescendos. I don't know how I stand on the argument, but I'd have to listen to a show. I think I've been overall very impressed with them (crescendo is a very important aspect of Grateful Dead music, IMO).

On another note- I just saw DSO play in Los Angeles and they blew me away- crescendos aplenty!!!!
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#64781 2 years, 11 months ago
"They didn't have amps on stage in the later 1990s (none). "

Are you sure about this? Jerry, Bob and Phil stopped using amps on stage? For the life of me, I did not notice this and I saw at least 125 shows in the 90's. I learn something new every day!!
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds