• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
deadontherivet
Expert Boarder

Jiffy pop almost went tragically wrong

#64445 2 years, 10 months ago
So last night I decided to introduce my children to the magic of Jiffy Pop. They are 7 and 10, so popcorn only exist in microwave bags to them. Their 1st question was is this how the pioneers did it. I had to then explain the evolution of popcorn popping to them. I went from pan, to jiffy pop, to air popper, and finally microwave.

Little did I know the packaging had changed somewhat slightly over the last 20 years. I peeled back the edges of the container to
Remove the cardboard and we were on our way.

I put the jiffy pop on the gas burner and the sizzle brought back memories of my childhood. My son was overjoyed as I was shaking the container and the corn started to pop.

He kept saying " how big will it get?, how big will it get!!"

The next thing I know popcorn starts spraying out the side and ignites in the gas burner. I kind of watch it like time has stopped and realize wow the flames are getting pretty big. I snap out if my amazement and grab a glass if water and put the inferno out.

Fortunately there was enough popcorn left for a big bowl. The kids then ask can we get Jiffy Pop again soon.
I wish I was the headlight on a northbound train.
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by deadontherivet. Reason: iPhone autocorrect
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re, FurthurFlower67
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

Re: Jiffy pop almost went tragically wrong

#64449 2 years, 10 months ago
Awesome, kids are priceless. I wouldn't trade mine (8 & 10) for the world!
The voices tell me what to say
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re, deadontherivet
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#64451 2 years, 10 months ago
Dude this made me laugh! The story telling was great! Although it could have turned out to be serious I'm glad it didn't!

O yea came home from Eugene today and my Good Vibes pin was waiting for me! Thanks again kind friend!
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: deadontherivet
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#64455 2 years, 10 months ago
That's too funny!! And I applaud you for teaching your children that popcorn really tastes best out of a big silver dome! : )
Tmglf2
Platinum Boarder
Without love in a dream, it will never come true.

#64480 2 years, 10 months ago
Great story. I love a happy ending. Funny stuff, the evolution of popcorn. What's next on the food class tour?
Chester
More or less in line

#64483 2 years, 10 months ago
Glad you didn't lose your house. I used to love Jiffy pop. Definitely a better quality than microwave. But my favorite is the old
fashioned skillet method. Than you can control the amount of butter and salt. Or even try some different seasoning.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
deadontherivet
Expert Boarder

#64484 2 years, 10 months ago
Thanks, with no show tonight, figured I share a little non lot life. Chester u are right it did taste good, I forgot what popcorn was supposed to taste like. I will try the pan method next.

FF glad to see you made it back to the STL. Those were magical shows. I'm glad u got to be a part of it.
I wish I was the headlight on a northbound train.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#64498 2 years, 10 months ago
i like the air popper myself they sell white chedder to sprinkle on it and butter buds if ya like butter flavor i normally eat it plain havent had jiffy pop since the 70s glad your house is okay sounds like the kids had fun hope ya told now never do this without me home to throw water on the fire
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

#64499 2 years, 10 months ago
Oh how I miss the 70's.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
The following user(s) said Thank You: LBDowling, strangerinboulder, deadontherivet
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder

#64529 2 years, 10 months ago
deadontherivet wrote:
So last night I decided to introduce my children to the magic of Jiffy Pop. They are 7 and 10, so popcorn only exist in microwave bags to them. Their 1st question was is this how the pioneers did it. I had to then explain the evolution of popcorn popping to them. I went from pan, to jiffy pop, to air popper, and finally microwave.

Little did I know the packaging had changed somewhat slightly over the last 20 years. I peeled back the edges of the container to
Remove the cardboard and we were on our way.

I put the jiffy pop on the gas burner and the sizzle brought back memories of my childhood. My son was overjoyed as I was shaking the container and the corn started to pop.

He kept saying " how big will it get?, how big will it get!!"

The next thing I know popcorn starts spraying out the side and ignites in the gas burner. I kind of watch it like time has stopped and realize wow the flames are getting pretty big. I snap out if my amazement and grab a glass if water and put the inferno out.

Fortunately there was enough popcorn left for a big bowl. The kids then ask can we get Jiffy Pop again soon.

What are you going to encore with tonight?
Time to create page: 0.49 seconds