#69316 2 years, 6 months ago
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
Think for yourself, Escape the gene pools
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re
wngfan
Junior Boarder

Re: Occupy Wall Street

#69439 2 years, 6 months ago
There was about 5000 or so people in portland today, took over our SW Broadway, no permit.. yet no arrests. No violence, it was peaceful, pretty cool.

media.oregonlive.com/oregonian/photo/201...c37b861e94f47952.jpg

ORegonlivephoto.jpg
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by wngfan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GratefulDeadhead, Abba
GratefulDeadhead
Junior Boarder

#69529 2 years, 6 months ago
yeah go portland! i didnt make it down yesterday but i was planning on goin tomorrow. as today is my birthday.

hope to see all yall portlanders down there

i heard that there was some violence and a few arrests though. if thats true thats really shitty, because the moment we start gettin violent is the moment the "powers that be can say see we need to control these guys and enact martial law" at least thats what i fear. but i realise alot of the violence comes from the police force. our portland cops love to use their guns and get violent when ever they can it seems.
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by GratefulDeadhead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abba
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#69547 2 years, 6 months ago
Wow, this is really gaining traction. Reminds me of the Arab spring a few months back. Even O mentioned it yesterday and that did make the mainstream news. I'm amazed at the power of social media and the internet.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#69551 2 years, 6 months ago
For those who want to learn more about this whole thing, here is a good report on wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupy_Wall_Street

I think that the following quotes from Presidential candidates and Obama and Biden are very interesting:

Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain accused the movement of being "anti-capitalism" and argued "Don't blame Wall Street, don't blame the big banks, if you don't have a job and you're not rich, blame yourself!" while Mitt Romney called the protests "dangerous" and "class warfare."[83] Republican Ron Paul came out to refute Herman Cain by saying, "the system has been biased against the middle class and the poor...the people losing jobs, it wasn't their fault that we've followed a deeply flawed economic system."[

Vice president Joe Biden likened the protest to the Tea party saying, “What are the people up there on the other end of the political spectrum saying?” Biden said. “The same thing: ‘Look guys, the bargain is not on the level anymore.’ In the minds of the vast majority of the American -- the middle class is being screwed.”[85] Obama stated, "I think it expresses the frustrations the American people feel, that we had the biggest financial crisis since the Great Depression, huge collateral damage all throughout the country ... and yet you're still seeing some of the same folks who acted irresponsibly trying to fight efforts to crack down on the abusive practices that got us into this in the first place."[86][87][88] When Jake Tapper of ABC News pushed the president to explain the fact that his administration hasn't prosecuted any Wall Street executives who didn't play by the rules, he replied, "One of the biggest problems about the collapse of Lehman's and the subsequent financial crisis and the whole subprime lending fiasco is that a lot of that stuff wasn't necessarily illegal; it was just immoral or inappropriate or reckless."

We live in interesting times. I think most people are fed up with the system and the way it is, the way it favors the rich and the corporations and screws the middle class and poor. Personally, I believe that with all of his faults, President Obama offers this country a much better outlook than any of the Republican candidates. It puzzles me that so many middle class people identify more with the rich and the multinational corporations than with their own economic class. How can middle class people be against raising taxes on the super-rich? Please explain this to me.
Without love day to day insanity's king
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

#69553 2 years, 6 months ago
I'm not sure I get all their demands, but it's cool people can still come together like this. Whether anything comes out of this, at least individuals are starting to take notice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abba, edheadwharfrat, scar1et_f1re
Abba
Gold Boarder
I missed Jerry!

#69568 2 years, 6 months ago
captaintony wrote:
I'm not sure I get all their demands, but it's cool people can still come together like this. Whether anything comes out of this, at least individuals are starting to take notice.

Are you losing your flare?? I would have expected another orgy comment.....Captain...I salute you!!

@everyone else I'm glad to hear people here are getting involved...

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi ~
The mainstream is at the laughing and fighting part!!!

CT is having a march and occupation tonight!! If you are in the Hartford area then come stop by at 5pm Bushnell Park across from Union Station
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

#69617 2 years, 6 months ago
Abba wrote:
captaintony wrote:

Are you losing your flare?? I would have expected another orgy comment.....Captain...I salute you!!

@everyone else I'm glad to hear people here are getting involved...

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi ~
The mainstream is at the laughing and fighting part!!!

CT is having a march and occupation tonight!! If you are in the Hartford area then come stop by at 5pm Bushnell Park across from Union Station

well thanks for the salute! i certainly appreciate it, and while an orgy is certainly good entertainment, I'm not completely shallow. HAH!
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#69635 2 years, 6 months ago
Here is an interesting perspective of a "non-journalist" blogger, chastising journalists for not digging for the Occupy Wall Street Story.

It came to me via a poster on a progressive political site who sited John Perry Barlow for alerting him.

I don't agree with everything in it, but it is most definitely worth a read by those for, against and indifferent to this protest.

erratasec.blogspot.com/2011/10/independe...porting-of.html#more

Here is a snippet:

The point I’ve been trying to make with the last few paragraphs is that there is a “story” here. I started with the obvious task of asking the owner of the park for an official statement about the occupiers of the last three weeks, and following those threads, I saw a story emerge that is different than the standard narrative of “just-another-protest”.

There are many other aspects of this that go unreported. One I find especially important is the loving nature of the protest. If you look at photographs in the news, you see the typical angry protester. This is the sort of action shot newsrooms prefer, i.e., showing the emotion of the scene.

But the protest isn’t angry. Quite the opposite, it is loving and accepting. If you go up to protesters with the opposite political view and debate them, they will express their undying love for you and ask for you to join them to increase the diversity of viewpoints. I did this myself, and watched this happen to others, including cops. This attitude pervades everything they do, and is frequently reinforced by the hard-core occupiers.

This is the opposite of what happened during the protests against the Iraq war, the protests against the last Republican convention in New York or the violent protests during every G8 summit. Not only is this different than most other protests, it is the similar to the hyper-tolerant “Burning Man” festival that takes place in the Nevada desert every summer. Whether it’s Burning Man or Occupy Wall Street, there is a cultural shift somewhere here. Now I feel compelled to go to Burning Man next year, just to track this thread down.
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by Terrapin Sedation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abba, scar1et_f1re
Abba
Gold Boarder
I missed Jerry!

#72430 2 years, 6 months ago
Find an OCCUPATION near you www.occupytogether.com
Time to create page: 0.63 seconds