Who has heard?? Anyone going?? They also have an Occupy LA and Occupy Chicago
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
Think for yourself, Escape the gene pools
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

Re: Occupy Wall Street

#64217 2 years, 6 months ago
Occupy Wall Street has been going on for a week or two. The crowd was once as large as 5,000 people (I heard it was 2,000), but I heard last week it was down to 200 people and probably even less this week. The (mainstreem) news does not cover it too much, and it's a small mention in the business news (with Greece about to default, Italy Running out of $, the US debt ceiling issues again, interest rates dropping again, stock market it trouble - it really is a small story).

I don't know what solutions the protesters have, but since Michael Moore is involved perhaps there are solutions.

www.digitaljournal.com/article/311886
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#64287 2 years, 6 months ago
whats the point of this anyway? do you have a 401 k or any retirement accounts? if so then wall street is working for you. I make money everyday with my stocks sitting at home and you should too.Buy some apple its going to 500
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#64292 2 years, 6 months ago
83msg1sttyme wrote:
whats the point of this anyway? do you have a 401 k or any retirement accounts? if so then wall street is working for you. I make money everyday with my stocks sitting at home and you should too.Buy some apple its going to 500

I agree 1000% - how else can you make money with 2 year CD's paying 0.001% or something like that? But be careful even with AAPL, the nasdaq and whole market is getting "toppy"; just like people said gold is going to the moon, it's had a decent sized pullback in the past week even with the market tanking. I remember the same thing with Yahoo (I used to make a lot of money on that one - said there will never be anything like it, then one day the bottom fell out). And I love AAPL, I bought it at $60 / share for my daughter and all her cousins but I had to lock in the gain. Market is getting crazy and I do believe another major drop is coming, I may be wrong but I prefer to be cautious, 2008 taught me a lesson.

Wall street is corrupt, no question. I am glad Raj Raja.....from Goldman Sucks got what he deserved, a big fat jail sentence; an arrogant prick from the most arrogant firm of them all.

But these protests are not accomplishing much from what I can see.

I wish our leaders would for once work for the good of the people, which is not showing what an A$$ obama, Bachman, Palin....are, but working together to find workable solutions. IMO this guy Bainer (sp) - is a real trouble maker. Talk about babies -- if he doesn't get his way, he will shut down the government. And so what if how many thousands or millions of people miss a day or a weeks pay. As long as he can blame the Democrats, he probably enjoys the pain.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme
Abba
Gold Boarder
I missed Jerry!

#64477 2 years, 6 months ago
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
Think for yourself, Escape the gene pools
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#64496 2 years, 6 months ago
a bunch of fools yelling slogans.not impressed maybe they should use their time more wisely .reminds of the people that protest at the G8summits every year and every al sharpton rally. professional protestors .but hey whatever floats your boat.I wonder how this people afford to protest ,ummm trustfunds?
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#64580 2 years, 6 months ago
I would say they're not fools, they're conscientious Americans exercising their right to free speech in a place that believes only money talks. Frankly, I think it's about time we had a little class warfare in this country, and brought back the concept of real equality of opportunity, which has been missing for awhile now. Time to fund our schools again, rather than line the pockets of millionaires with tax breaks.

Here's a webcam of the protest, at the bottom of this article: Occupy Wall Street webcam
The following user(s) said Thank You: mattgill, Abba, edheadwharfrat, scar1et_f1re, deadontherivet
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#64606 2 years, 6 months ago
Protesters are definitely not fools. Our country has a rich tradition of protest, it is as American as apple pie. The Vietnam War was ended in large part due to protesting, for example. The whole spirit of the 60's which the Grateful Dead provided the soundtrack for (along with many other artists) very much embodied the idea of young (mostly) people speaking out against what they viewed as flaws in government and corporate policies. Corporate greed on Wall Street combined with lack of government oversite has resulted in much harm to our economy, destruction of the environment, and the wiping out of many senior citizens' retirement funds. It is somewhat disturbing to me that some people would dismiss this type of protest as being foolish. As John Lennon said, "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope some day you'll join us, and the world will live as one." Power to the people!!!
Without love day to day insanity's king
The following user(s) said Thank You: mattgill, Abba, scar1et_f1re
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#64608 2 years, 6 months ago
SunshineSue wrote:
I would say they're not fools, they're conscientious Americans exercising their right to free speech in a place that believes only money talks. Frankly, I think it's about time we had a little class warfare in this country, and brought back the concept of real equality of opportunity, which has been missing for awhile now. Time to fund our schools again, rather than line the pockets of millionaires with tax breaks.

Here's a webcam of the protest, at the bottom of this article: Occupy Wall Street webcam

Thanks for the link to the live camera SS. It's lightly publicized so I didn't realize how "large" it is.

I agree though that protesting in front of the "fat cats" making six figure plus salaries will not accomplish much. If they set up in front of Goldman Sacks or maybe in front of the SEC it may be better. The best place would be in front of the Nasdaq exchange on ~ 42nd street in time square (Right by Best Buy Arena). Thousands of tourists there every day. Wall Street is a tiny area downtown with little street traffic other than the broker / dealers who do not want change.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Abba
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#64647 2 years, 6 months ago
its going to acomplish zero nothing zilch nada but hey have fun trying to relive the 60s this is a capitilistic society in America,what do you propose to replace it? you want change make money and fund worthwhile causes thats how stuff gets done ,trying up traffic in NYC is only going to get the average working person pissed off at you for making them late to their JOB .i havent even seen one mention in the news or CNBC .
Time to create page: 0.99 seconds