• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

Re: call the waaambulance

#64304 2 years, 11 months ago
In my humble opinion, Bobby is a unique, expressive and powerful singer, he is Grateful Dead to the core, and he sounds great whenever he sings anything.
Without love day to day insanity's king
kfender
Gold Boarder

#64308 2 years, 11 months ago
scar1et_f1re wrote:
I like Bobby singing this....just my opinion.

The line before SHOULD BE SUNG BY BOBBY, no question in my mind: "I was proud to be his friend"; gave me goosebumps listening to this on archives. Especially with the line before being about a "hobo" who lived and died by the river bed"; Catfish John also had a "hard load to bear".

Mama said don't go down to the river is a nice change imo. IMO Bobby is paying tribute to our long lost friend. He is not copying Jerry. I like the subtle change.

but I hate black licorice, others here love it.

www.archive.org/details/furthur2011-09-2...larson.116137.flac16

Maybe it's me, but reading the lyrics I can see replacing Catfish John with Jerry, and then Bobby should be singing this one, not John.

Mama said, "Don't go near that river,
Don't be hanging around old Catfish John."
Come in the morning I'd always be there,
Walking in his footsteps in the sweet Delta dawn.

Take me back to another morning, to a time so long ago,
When the sweet magnolia blossomed, cotton fields as white as snow.

Catfish John was a river hobo who lived and died by the river's bed,
Looking back I still remember I was proud to be his friend.

Born a slave in the town of Vicksburg, traded for a chestnut mare,
Lord her never spoke in anger though his load was hard to bear.

And if you want to be technical, it was the harmonizers who messed up the first lyric. Probably natural as Bobby fiddled with the lyrics.
If you want to be technical it was not the harmonizers rather Bobby who changed the lyrics.When they rehearsed it if they rehearsed it Bobby shoulda told them he changed the lyrics.I understand that Bobby may have emotional connections to songs,but please don't change the lyrics.please not that i placed a disclaimer in the OP.It's not his voice I have issues with it's the arrangements and the changed lyrics.I understand that it is his and phil's band and they can do whatever they want,I was just stating my preference
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#64311 2 years, 11 months ago
kfender wrote:
scar1et_f1re wrote:
I like Bobby singing this....just my opinion.

The line before SHOULD BE SUNG BY BOBBY, no question in my mind: "I was proud to be his friend"; gave me goosebumps listening to this on archives. Especially with the line before being about a "hobo" who lived and died by the river bed"; Catfish John also had a "hard load to bear".

Mama said don't go down to the river is a nice change imo. IMO Bobby is paying tribute to our long lost friend. He is not copying Jerry. I like the subtle change.

but I hate black licorice, others here love it.

www.archive.org/details/furthur2011-09-2...larson.116137.flac16

Maybe it's me, but reading the lyrics I can see replacing Catfish John with Jerry, and then Bobby should be singing this one, not John.

Take me back to another morning, to a time so long ago,
When the sweet magnolia blossomed, cotton fields as white as snow.

Catfish John was a river hobo who lived and died by the river's bed,
Looking back I still remember I was proud to be his friend.

Born a slave in the town of Vicksburg, traded for a chestnut mare,
Lord her never spoke in anger though his load was hard to bear.

And if you want to be technical, it was the harmonizers who messed up the first lyric. Probably natural as Bobby fiddled with the lyrics.
If you want to be technical it was not the harmonizers rather Bobby who changed the lyrics.When they rehearsed it if they rehearsed it Bobby shoulda told them he changed the lyrics.I understand that Bobby may have emotional connections to songs,but please don't change the lyrics.please not that i placed a disclaimer in the OP.It's not his voice I have issues with it's the arrangements and the changed lyrics.I understand that it is his and phil's band and they can do whatever they want,I was just stating my preference

I was trying to say that yes, Bobby changed the lyrics but PERHAPS the background singers forgot about the change. That was just a guess on my part. Whatever the reason, as was pointed out, the change was intentional.

And sometimes the lyrics do change. Like in Bird Song, subtle but powerful, All I know is something like a bird within HER sang --> a bird within HIM sang after Jerry passed.

One of my favorite changes is "my best friend my Doctor won't even tell me what it is that I got" --> My best friend my doctor won't even tell me what it is that I DROPPED --> My best friend my drummer won't even tell me what it is that I DROPPED.

Or when Jerry threw in some la bamba's or "Yo no soy marinero". Different can be fun.

And everyone reacts to certain things differently, when I heard that they brought this back I was excited, the change in lyrics doesn't turn me off. Others obviously think it was a big deal.

Sort of like the song CC rider, I hear that and it's bathroom time. Just not my song.....Others love it. Or like a piece of art, there is plenty of stuff hanging in the museums that I just "don't get".

~There are things you can replace, and others you cannot. The time has come to weigh those things, this space is getting hottttt.......
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by scar1et_f1re.
kfender
Gold Boarder

#64354 2 years, 11 months ago
I admit it is my own selfishness that wants things done certain ways,that's why I put in the disclaimer and titled this thread as I did.I have fun every time I see this band so it really doesn't matter in the long run.I was just feeling pissy when i went to listen to the Catfish John and heard 2 people singing different lyrics.I am not some deader than thou person from the zone or anything just a passionate fan.Please still love and accept me LOL
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#64356 2 years, 11 months ago
kfender wrote:
I admit it is my own selfishness that wants things done certain ways,that's why I put in the disclaimer and titled this thread as I did.I have fun every time I see this band so it really doesn't matter in the long run.I was just feeling pissy when i went to listen to the Catfish John and heard 2 people singing different lyrics.I am not some deader than thou person from the zone or anything just a passionate fan.Please still love and accept me LOL

Hope you ain't looking to me to accept or not accept, I am just as wrong as everyone else, sometimes more so. All in fun (I hope)? you made it very clear it was your opinion. I'm just passing the time here until Wilkes Barre, can't wait. I hope I didn't come off bad ..not my intent.

Enough said, how bout them Mets ? (they suck...I think)

kfender
Gold Boarder

#64360 2 years, 11 months ago
Scarlet we were all good until you had to bash my Mets!!!Now you are my sworn mortal enemy!!!!I can handle anything that comes at me,the plea for love and acceptance was tongue in cheek.The Mets shall rise again!!!!!Probably not and now my Steelers are all banged up too.Thank God I have Furthur to ease my pain!!
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#64365 2 years, 11 months ago
Cool, I was looking forward to seeing the video "wookie fight, round two". Sounds like we'll both be starring in it. I used to like the Mets before I gave up on baseball. But from what little I see, the mets suck.

Shall we duel with guns, knives, chains or simple hand to hand? To the death, of course.

kfender
Gold Boarder

#64381 2 years, 11 months ago
Paper cuts until one of us cries uncle
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#64385 2 years, 11 months ago
kfender wrote:
Paper cuts until one of us cries uncle

Better yet, nails on the chalkboard while listening to Disney radio.

The following user(s) said Thank You: kfender
terrapin_blue
Junior Boarder

#64430 2 years, 11 months ago
If Bobby can pull it off, I would love for him to sing it (Days Between, Death Don't Have No Mercy), but some songs just don't sound quite right with bobby (Catfish John, Terrapin). The band should just give John a chance on more songs, it seems like his singing gets cut down each tour.
Time to create page: 0.49 seconds