• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

Question about covers

#63211 2 years, 12 months ago
Can the band cover who ever they want when ever they want? Do they need permission or pay another band?
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

Re: Question about covers

#63217 2 years, 12 months ago
If you're cold pull em up.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#63220 2 years, 12 months ago
They can pretty much cover whatever they want but they have to pay a fee for performing the material.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#63221 2 years, 12 months ago
Seriously though thats a good question. I have noticed that the "covers" they do ..including the GD are by artists who have passed or no longer tour. Of course.. the big exceptions are the Stones and Dylan. Those 2 are so big that nothing can affect them. Back in the GD days for years I was hoping they would cover Can't You See by Marshall Tucker. It would have been perfect for Jerry & Brent to trade verses ala Mr Fantasy. It was not to be.
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

#63223 2 years, 12 months ago
I know when they released the Dick's Picks series they needed permission for songs like Promised Land and Johnny B. Goode because of royalties and such. I don't know how it works for Furthur's live recordings since they're essentially legal bootlegs and some of the proceeds go to charity. But as far as them covering a song in concert, they can do whatever they want. I think.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#63229 2 years, 12 months ago
Even with a live performance you have to pay a royalty. It's believed that's the reason the Stones no longer perform Chuck Berry tunes. Keith Richards and Chuck had a good relationship -- they even made that move Hail Hail Rock N Roll together. But Keith got Chuck's old keyboardist Johnnie Johnson thinking about the contributions he made to Chuck's hits and Johnnie ended up suing Chuck and winning. So there was a bitter falling out and the belief is Keith doesn't want Chuck to get any more money from the Stones.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
stricken
Gold Boarder

#63232 2 years, 12 months ago
Theres a fee all cover bands are required to pay to perform other recorded artists material. Small one but i believe there is a unwritten rule out of respect that you ask other artists first. Most just see it as a form of flattery.
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

#63239 2 years, 12 months ago
So all GD cover bands have to pay a fee to the GD? I find that hard to believe. I don't see how something like this could ever be enforced unless it's a well-known national touring act.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#63240 2 years, 12 months ago
I'm sure it's not enforced below a certain level. But I would imagine that DSO would have to pay royalties.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
stricken
Gold Boarder

#63640 2 years, 11 months ago
The fee you have to pay goes to a registry of your bands name and covers your use of copyrighted material. The band i played in had to purchase it because of the venues we played it was like 375.00 dollars i believe. It also registers your bands contact info for booking purposes.
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds