• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

Strawberry Fields

#63156 2 years, 10 months ago
I think this is a JK request.....you can read a lot into the song from his perspective.

Heard they sound checked it, and thought it would be a Bob or group sing along. It is not. It is a JK ballad....It has been played before, but hope it stays in the mix, there is lots to explore.

Always hated JK referred to as Jerry Ghost, Baby Jerry whatever............. Couldn't imagine being in his shoes, filling Jerry's shoes. ...But he's proven he is up to the task mentally, emotionally, spiritually and most importantly for us fans, musically.

No one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low.
That is you can't you know tune in but it's all right.
That is I think it's not too bad.

Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to Strawberry Fields.
Nothing is real and nothing to get hung about.
Strawberry Fields forever.

Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.
It's getting hard to be someone but it all works out.
It doesn't matter much to me.

Always know sometimes think it's me, but you know I know and it's a dream.
I think I know of thee, ah yes, but it's all wrong.
That is I think I disagree.

Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by Terrapin Sedation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sharicee
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

Re: Strawberry Fields

#63163 2 years, 10 months ago
I got this the first time I saw Furthur at Oakdale 2009 and Phil sang it. I liked it then but I really like the version I heard from last night with JK singing, the little spacey intro was cool to - it actually seemed like a spacey take on it in general. good stuff.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#63166 2 years, 10 months ago
Thanks MushroomMan...I didn't know Phil sang the other version (s).

By the way, I thought of you this week when a huge orange mushroom (toadstool?) sprouted underneath an evergreen in my yard.

For a day it had the umbrella look, then went flat and keeled over under its own weight (something I am known to do). A bunch of other shrooms sprouted in the same spot (it was warm and wet here in Pennsyltucky).

I thought to myself as I set out for work that I wish I knew how to distinguish the kind mushrooms from the unkind.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#63184 2 years, 10 months ago
Its doubtful that any were what your looking for and you shouldn't ever take a chance eating anything from the wild enless someone who knows about them could confirm what it is...

mushrooms (and there mycelias) job in nature is to help things decompose. its also only a matter of days once they sprout that they melt down into a pile of mush and are just about unreconizable. The job of the mushroom itself is to spread spores and you could see by the shape and structure of one thats it's purpose. The spores are in the gills on the undersides of the cap protecting it from the sun, the stem lifts it high enough to spread the spores via wind or other sorces and then the veil furthur protects the spores until there ready to release then it breaks as the cap flattens out and once the spores are gone the mushrooms job is done and it melts back into the ground. It's actually a pretty cool life cycle... The mycelium (mycelia) is actually what helps things decompose, its the mushrooms rooting structure basically and it takes over a substrate (ie: maure) and spreads throughout it and once taken over then the mushrooms can actually grow. Mushrooms may grow overnight in the right conditions but the mycelium has to already be present (it can stay dormant for months until the conditions are right) .... the entire life cycle of them from the spores germenating until the mushrooms are mature is no less then 2 weeks with any variety of them anywhere....

I forgot what this has to do with anything and why I'm writing it but whatever....
The following user(s) said Thank You: stricken
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#63215 2 years, 10 months ago
Strawberry Fields would be a great call for MSG, seeing how it was the site of Lennon's final public performance. Not to mention that NYC was John's home and Central Park is the home of his memorial, Strawberry Fields.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
slipknot75
Junior Boarder

#63226 2 years, 10 months ago
re: Always hated JK referred to as Jerry Ghost, Baby Jerry whatever.

I could NOT agree more.

As a protest against people calling him "Fake Jerry" I have taken to calling him "Real John".

He's a great musician and deserves that respect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terrapin Sedation
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

#63231 2 years, 10 months ago
Phil originally wanted to play Strawberry Fields with the Dead when Jerry was still alive. I heard a sound bite on archive.org from a rehearsal where Phil told Vince he had the sheet music for it.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#63233 2 years, 10 months ago
I'll bet Jerry could have done some nice leads on that.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Time to create page: 0.54 seconds