• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

Re: Band shutting down all vending at Cuthbert, wtf??

#62240 2 years, 6 months ago
"They always have"
I beg to differ. The band was around close to 20 years old and doing fine before the vending scene became what you have described.
The problem with vending is it's downside far outweighed any benefit it ever gave the band.

The problem isn't vending, really, it's the losers you describe attracted by that scene. The original vendors, like the great t-shirt artists Mikio, Phil Brown or Ed Donahue roamed the lot, sold their shirts then went to the shows. I always supported those selling to make $$ for the shows, support tours but the truth is that it eventually grew to attract too much of the bottom end of the barrel.

Toward the end, the band made it pretty clear they had enough.
But this situation is...why Eugene? why now? They build the field, they make the rules, game on and good luck players.
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by sjfgreenman.
MsJimp
Expert Boarder
I take pictures

#62244 2 years, 6 months ago
I used to sell grilled cheese, soda , clothes, water and hair wraps. Used that money to keep going to shows. Never sold a darn thing illegal, didn't even push the limit on beer. I do admit that I made a profit that came home with me sometimes and sometimes not. Like it or not, shakedown is a tourist attraction and most of the people that show up for sd go into the show. They have no clue that we laugh at the custies all day but they are part of pur world.
Please tell Governor Christie of NJ to open the records
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#62245 2 years, 6 months ago
it one in ten thousand that come for the show . me im there for the show .i got shirts i dont need pipes ,rocks ,yummy anything, water, beer, assorted unicorn parts, and glitter .In the end jerry was very tired of the people that made a living off the band touring andmaking him feel that they(the band) had to keep going because so many were living off the lot. Im guessing they dont want the hassles of old rearing its ugly head .it would explain the falleast coast tour thatis all over the map and 1 nite stands. i have a feeling if this keeps happening they will stop touring all together and just play from tri and terrapin
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#62246 2 years, 6 months ago
xactly selling art or walking around selling shirts or some jewlery, is kewl, cause im i am no rich either and its hard to go to shows witout making some moeny for gas/food/hotel/etc. but its usually hit or miss, and i dont make it my main thiang, you know im there to party down, nto to make bank, if you show up to vend or gasp sell nitrous or doses your there for the wrong reasons. most of those folks dont even want to goin thshow. its all baout the money. and hippy crapitalism is still crapitilism. i have seriously been agaisnt the selling out of the whole scene since the i first started goin to shows, so now the band has to take steps to protect themselves and us, whom show up to see the show, that money hungry fake ass hippycrit crapitilst dont ruin the whole party. im sure once, alll will be fine. cant wait till monterey. i was also totally goinn sell falafal, but shit i dont want a ticket, LOL!
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#62247 2 years, 6 months ago
sounds kind of crazy but last year the first day was a free for all, the 2nd day was the complete opposite...i watched them shut down a lot of vendors although i didn't see any cops arresting anyone or tickets being written...my guess is it was just protocal to try to keep the 3 night banger low key...we'll see tomorrow
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
wngfan
Junior Boarder

#62250 2 years, 6 months ago
wlewis wrote:
sounds kind of crazy but last year the first day was a free for all, the 2nd day was the complete opposite...i watched them shut down a lot of vendors although i didn't see any cops arresting anyone or tickets being written...my guess is it was just protocal to try to keep the 3 night banger low key...we'll see tomorrow

I think WLewis is spot on
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#62251 2 years, 6 months ago
im not against some kid slinging posters or stickers pins for gasmoney its the professional outfits that set up shop hell at PNC some guy was selling records magazines looked like a head shop of yore had racks shelves the whole nine probably took credit cards
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis
MsJimp
Expert Boarder
I take pictures

#62262 2 years, 6 months ago
Some of us were there to vend and see the show. Hippycrit? LOL. Whatever. I don't vend at shows anymore because I am just too damn old for that shit, but I buy clothes, food and water on shakedown. Its a hell of allot better than the clothes food and water from inside the venue. I like shakedown. Always have and always will. Personally I think if vendors can take credit cards that's a good thing then I don't have to carry so much cash. Like I stated in another thread on vending, there should be some way to legitamize vending on tour. Daily permits, seperate vending lot, higher parking fee that the band gets a cut of. Vending ticket packages for the tour ect..... have the ducks in a row, be at least somewhat legit have a tax number and you get to vend.
Please tell Governor Christie of NJ to open the records
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#62269 2 years, 6 months ago
thats not a bad idea Mrs jimp
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#62272 2 years, 6 months ago
i have always dug shakedown too. i have sold eveything from food to beer to art and had fun and bought all that shit.
i totally think shakedown is part of the scene, apart i toatlly enjoy.
i dont suppport those who come there only to make money.\
basically this NOVending BS is just away to give the folks with indoor cooking abilities ala motorhomes skewlbusses, a helping hand, CAUSE they can cook onboard their vehical, then take it to the lot, and selll it hot, and not have to compete with the asshole who sets up a burrito/beer stand right next to yah.bus gypsis rule.
Time to create page: 0.49 seconds