• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
OtherOne
Junior Boarder

Band shutting down all vending at Cuthbert, wtf??

#62182 2 years, 11 months ago
Via Zane Kesey:

NEWS FLASH ABOUT FURTHUR SHOWS AT CUTHBERT THEATER
NO VENDING!!! - the word I got is that the band has specifically asked that the venue stop all vending this year. They just had a meeting with the cops who plan to ticket EVERYONE that attempts it! -yikes! Just thought I should give a heads up on the scuttlebutt

--see ya there, (probably no bus)

He further commented this is coming specifically from the band and not Kit the promoter. You know, I don't really even go to lot, but this just makes no sense to me.
deadontherivet
Expert Boarder

Re: Band shutting down all vending at Cuthbert, wtf??

#62185 2 years, 11 months ago
I'm guessing this has to do with the Anver thing. I think it's pretty bogus, especially since I vend so I can afford to tour. Guess I'll have to go into stealth mode.
I wish I was the headlight on a northbound train.
MsJimp
Expert Boarder
I take pictures

#62188 2 years, 11 months ago
This is not the first time they have screwed themselves this way. Chill out, just like the old days when I used to hang clothes for sale on the sign that said no tailgaiting lol. Do you remember the 80,s and early 90,s? Tickets said no vending, the radio and band said no vending. The if you don't have a ticket don't come to the show was a popular mantra too lol. Go to the show, take a look around and ill bet things will be ok. The more things change the more they stay the same. It may thin vending out a bit because some folks actually listen to the warnings.
Please tell Governor Christie of NJ to open the records
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re, deadontherivet
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#62202 2 years, 11 months ago
they probably have to say no vending etc to make the venue happy
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Chester
More or less in line

#62203 2 years, 11 months ago
Probably a stupid question but all vending, or just trademark/Copyright stuff? And is it the whole tour, or just Eugene?
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#62206 2 years, 11 months ago
considering that ALL the members of the grateful dead wrote al letter to us fans after the 95 deer creak riots, that said do not come to a show without a ticket, do not vend in the lot, please do not spend money in the lot because it is supporting the vendors which are the one of the main problems with the scene. come for the music or dont come at all. its a concert not a rainbow gathering folks, and its 2011 not 1968, things do change.
i believe the last line of the letter from the band was something like "we know alot of you are going to say fuck it ill do what i want, just remember that goes for us too(meaning the band). "
seems they were not bluffin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme, bitzer87
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#62207 2 years, 11 months ago
It will be interesting to see if this is the new general policy.
It's all about the music for me and anything that detracts from it rather than adding to it is secondary.
When vending popped up in the 80's was ok for the first few years dancing at the funk-disco bus, buying a Guatamelan shirt, etc. but after awhile it attracted way too many people who thought the scene owed them something and were there foremost for the party and later, boneheads trying to gate crash.

I haven't been to the Cuthbert since Phil + Friends 2001 so I don't know what Zane is talking about with the promoter also wishing vending wasn't a part of it, maybe the scene is looking too much like the GD 90's to them up there, it is a haven for hipsters in the Eugene area.

The parking areas are so wide open and right next to the stage with the bridge where you can hear the sound so clearly, a place where people converge as it is...open and free when I was there but maybe they've had some issues.

It does seem like an overreaction, though sort of a get off my lawn thing. It'll still be a scene I'm sure.. just tone it down a notch and keep the eyes open.
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#62211 2 years, 11 months ago
"no vendin" usually refers to people with big pop ups and food and coolers and shouts of dollar beers, and like you know an outdoor vending fair, that attracks alot of people that have no plans on buying a ticket, and usually get too drunk or loaded on drugs that they give the band a bad rep in that town/state.
im sure you can still hang out drink beer sell bud/etc. on the down low, but its time to pull the reigns in a bit, and prevent the scene from becoming unprofitable for the muscians, cause then they take their ball and go home.
dogdog
Junior Boarder

#62224 2 years, 11 months ago
I remember in the 80's when the scene was suddenly overwhelmed by vendors with little if any interest in the music. It made it tough for the random stealthy vendor just looking for enough cash for a ticket. Though I can't say I haven't had some good laughs on Shakedown Street, I much prefer scenes that are not dominated by parasitic commericalism.
"Love still rings true."
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme
MsJimp
Expert Boarder
I take pictures

#62231 2 years, 11 months ago
Just chill and have a grilled cheese or two. I will tell you most of the vendors are the only ones out on tour with actual money and are the ones buying those nifty mail order and pre sale tickets. The vendors are also the reason allot of times that the shows sold out. You just might consider the circus it just might be your kind of zoo. I know the upscale hotels appreciate the vendors, and local eateries. The vendors make this band money and they know it. They always have. The scourge of nitrous is a problem as well as the shithead gutter punks that started that damned riot. Wooks are a problem. Vending , not so much. No you can't sell pot on the down low because if you get caught you give us all a bad name. Keep the merch legal, keep things organized and everything should be fine. Its fireworks caliopes and clowns.
Please tell Governor Christie of NJ to open the records
The following user(s) said Thank You: deadontherivet
Time to create page: 0.46 seconds