• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

Jerrys Passing / Debra Koons Garcia

#61038 2 years, 11 months ago
I've always wondered about Jerry's dark side. Does anyone know if he actually passed away in a rehab clinic? I've heard so much stuff, much of which I thought was BS. But that was the bands official report...at least at first. And I think it's true (or I believed it)

Crazy, but I always wondered if he rehab may have killed him ... maybe his body could handle the drugs but he could not handle the withdrawals. Or maybe he felt he needed to get super high before going into rehab and that was too much. And of course, he put on a LOT of weight in the end.

And I sort of always felt that his wife #3 - Debra Koons Garcia forced him to go to rehab. This is just a total guess on my part, based on there being something about her I just never liked....or I should say something about her made me feel funny. I always wondered why Jerry was with her, it felt to me like she didn't "get it"...but that's based more on her suing everybody after he passed and trying to cut everybody else out of Jerry's will (actually I think there was no will, which was a problem). I honestly know very little about her. But her fighting with Mountain girl

I'd love to hear any thoughts or facts about what really happened.

<-- if nothing else, check out Phil and Steve Parish ~ 5:25 into the video

More stuff: 30 min special from BBC...
<---REALLY GOOD IMO

Sickening the way "Mountain Girl" - wife # 2 was treated by Deborah ...especially hearing it from Jerry's daughter (in part II Of you can't take it with you).
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by scar1et_f1re.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

Re: Jerrys Passing / Debra Koons Garcia

#61039 2 years, 11 months ago
Ya it's true he was at rehab when he died. I'm sure it was a mix of diabetes and drugs
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
ScarletFire
Junior Boarder

#61043 2 years, 11 months ago
I don't know Deborah Koons, but I am pretty sure she is the reason we no longer get any Live Jerry releases. Boo!
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#61053 2 years, 11 months ago
All I know is that I almost started crying at Highgate that summer. Garcia couldn't even raise his arm to strum the guitar.... it was so bad I almost left... only time I ever watned to leave.... but it was a horror to witness. Why even go on? Cancel the fucking thing and stay home.

i have a copy of that estate video... it's pretty fucked up watching Ramrod on the witness stand being called upon to take sides in the whole thing and he lets them know it- he seemed to think it was embarrising to Jer's memory to do it. But all in all, the estate mess was his doing, the guitars was his doing, and his drug enduced poor healthy lifestyle was his doing.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#61058 2 years, 11 months ago
I remember Jerry canceled a jgb show at the warfield one time cause he said his hand was numb, hmmmmm.
Dam Jerry I really wanted to go to that show
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#61101 2 years, 11 months ago
ScarletFire wrote:
I don't know Deborah Koons, but I am pretty sure she is the reason we no longer get any Live Jerry releases. Boo!

That's very possible.

As for whether rehab killed him, Jerry was already on the way out. I saw six shows in '95 and at the first one -- Philly in March -- it was obvious that Jerry had aged 10 years in the six months since I'd last seen him. Hitting your 50s is kind of an acid test. How much do you want to stay alive? I've got a few friends who still party like we all did in the 70s and 80s. I doubt if any of them will see 60. I still party -- but now it's more along the lines of drinking some fine microbrews, watching the Giant/Rams game and hanging out in a favorite chat room than staying up for days on end.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

#61156 2 years, 11 months ago
Jerry died of a heart attack. No one dies from heroin withdrawal. It is highly unlikely Jerry ever would have died of an overdose because he smoked Persian, and it's difficult to OD when you smoke heroin. He would pass out before he could ingest a fatal amount. I believe Deborah Koons married him for money. They didn't even live together when they were married. Although I don't know her personally, I think Deborah Koons is a cunt.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by ShakedownSteve.
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#61223 2 years, 11 months ago
True, Steve. While opiate withdrawal feels like impending death, it is not life threatening like withdrawal from benzos or alcohol can be. I recently re-read Blair Jackson's "Garcia, an American Life" and at the end it says that Jerry's autopsy showed advanced heart disease. While he didn't die as a direct result of addiction, it was certainly an indirect cause. Being impaired on heroin and cocaine for much of his adult life led to chronic poor decision making regarding diet and general lifestyle. It's too bad Jerry didn't find recovery like Eric Clapton, Anthony Kiedis, Alice Cooper, Stevie Ray Vaughn (damn helicoptors), and Trey Anastasio. I really miss him.
Without love day to day insanity's king
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ossumpei
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

#61224 2 years, 11 months ago
Benzo withdrawal is by far the worst type of drug withdrawal there is, even worse than heroin. I would rather go through a hundred heroin withdrawals than one Valium withdrawal. I was addicted to both many years ago, so I speak from experience.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by ShakedownSteve.
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#61243 2 years, 11 months ago
i have intentionally avoided accessing this information for years. last night i saw the thread, decided to watch the video clips and it was even more disturbing than i imagined. very sad.
Time to create page: 0.61 seconds