• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Confusions Prince
Junior Boarder
High on a Mountain

Re: Back in the Day - NOT Deader Than Thou

#6879 3 years, 4 months ago
Back in the day, $40 worth of gas not only got you to the next show, it was enough for the whole tour.
If it rolls, sink it.
racecar
Fresh Boarder

#6915 3 years, 4 months ago
Back In The Day, I had to sleep on line (on the street, not the internet) for 2 1/2 days to get RCMH tickets because there was no internet ordering
Back In The Day, I filled out those damn 3 x 5 index cards to a a PO BOX in San Rafael to get tix, now I use the internet
Back In The Day, I would see Grateful Dead in small auditoriums such as Capital Theater in Passaic, NJ.
Back In The Day, a soundboard TAPE was the bomb (what Gen is it?)
Back In The Day, Deadheads were 21% of Maxell's revenues
Back In The Day, There were the Alpine Valley Shows
Back In The Day, I dropped way too much acid at shows
Back In The Day, Jerry played a Travis Bean
Back In The Day, Ibanez was Bobby's guitar of choice (cowboy , etc)
Back In The Day, Phil did not sing live and we all chanted "LET PHIL SING"
Back In The Day, Tickets were less than $10
Back In The Day, There was no such thing as AIDS
Back In The Day, I thought I knew everything............
Back In The Day, I used to say "Back In The Day, The Dead had this Wall Of Sound"
Back In The Day, Stadium shows sucked (not musically, but socially)
Back In The Day, Bobby didn't have a beard (neither did Jerry, lol)
Back In The Day, I would watch Jerry live snaking his fingers across the fretboard like no other.
Back In The Day, I could smoke a joint at a show and not worry about getting popped by the cops.
Back In The Day, they used to say "They are not the best at what they do, they are the only ones who do what they do" (referring to the dead)

lastly.... Back In The Day, there was this band the Grateful Dead that influenced my life like no other entity on the planet. They are the reason why I learned to play guitar.

For today: I am grateful that Phil and Bob are keeping the flame alive. Both for us older gen folks and the new kids coming on the scene that never had the opportunity to see the Grateful Dead.

Sometimes I miss "Back In The Day", but I am blessed to still be here TODAY.
Last Edit: 3 years, 4 months ago by racecar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brownbeards, 2Bears
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#6919 3 years, 4 months ago
love it
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
irishqueenie
Senior Boarder
let there be songs to fill the air!!!

#6923 3 years, 4 months ago
wow this made me think for a minute or two
Back in the day..... a special girl named Elizabeth Ann who took me to my first dead show -RIP i still miss you everyday!
we filled out index cards and decorated envelopes in hopes of good tickets- we would camp out at malls and ticketcenters and box offices to get good tickets for when the boys came to town.
we were younger, thinner, and crazier! we could do a whole tour- making xtra money by selling jagershots and "very kind Bobby grilled cheese!" (they were "bobby" cause they were soooo cheesy!!) now three shows does us in and we need time to recover!
we cared more about shows than our jobs-now we are thankful for our jobs so we can still see shows! go figure!
Back in the day i met this hot guy at a show in buffalo- he was selling shots of jager out of his cooler...i have been lucky enough to be celebrating our anniversary on april 1---17 years together and 11 married to my best friend!!!
When Jerry died -we thought it was all over- the hubs had 200 shows under his belt- i had 75- we felt very lucky to have seen him on both coast's and in between. we were thrilled anytime any of the boys got together and saw: phil and friends, ratdog, other ones, the dead, and furthur! any excuse to shake our bones and we will continue as long as they play for us!!!
we have lots of friends all over that we wouldn't have without some form of the Grateful Dead!
someday my son will be rockin out to sugar mag saying back in the day ....my mom took me to my first show at the Greek in hollywood ca- i was 6 mos. old!!!
cheffy
Junior Boarder
It's all about the chocolate

#7079 3 years, 4 months ago
back in the day if my boss didnt give me time off to go to shows I quit(8 jobs!)

Now I am the boss....oops...

and NO! You cant have July 4th weekend off to go see phish punk! back to work!
"Life May Be Sweeter For This...."
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#7153 3 years, 4 months ago
Back in the day we connected 5, 6, 10 casette decks together and stayed up all night copying each others tapes
Back in the day we looked in the back of Relix magazine for live music trading offer ads
Back in the day Calico roamed the lot
Back in the day people had marshmellow wars
Back in the day Uncle Bobo would tear someones head off for 5 minutes for expecting a free ticket and then turn around and give someone else a freebie who wasn't asking
Back in the day Dark Star was a very big deal
Back in the day fans had a very large sign at every SF area show that said "1158 Days Since last SF Dark Star" or however many days it had been since the last very big deal
Back in the day I danced in the hallways or through the entire crowd much of the time
Back in the day when I got to the show I took my shoes off and added them to the big pile at the back of the hall
Back in the day JGB Stone shows were $7.50
Back in the day if you ended up behind Allison the Horse Lady at a show your face got whipped with hair
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
The following user(s) said Thank You: racecar
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#7355 3 years, 4 months ago
Back in the day red dragons and blue unicorns.
Back in the day we were the young one at shows.
Back in the day I scrounged up cash just to make it there and back. Now its 1st class all the way!
Me2
Fresh Boarder
Its Time to Matter...

#7565 3 years, 4 months ago
Today is tomorrow's back in the day.....

And Today was pretty cool with me.... so tomorrow I will say....

Back in the day was pretty cool with me.
The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men and women who can dream of things that never were. - John Keats
SkiNose
Junior Boarder

#7567 3 years, 4 months ago
I was a newbie.
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know."
arjanstar
Junior Boarder

#7609 3 years, 4 months ago
Back in the day I stopped to decide
Now I just ride =)
Feel good music in your soul. Make your body want to Rock and Roll!
Time to create page: 0.52 seconds